Eventide H8000FW - All about it... please post here.

Discussion in 'The Rack Space' started by italo de angelis, Nov 21, 2017.

Tags:
  1. hydroquebec

hydroquebec Member

I’ll try it again when I get home this evening. I’ve not sure exactly what it was doing wrong, because I believe I just extended my 24 hour delay version. I’m going to re-create the structure today and try it when I get home. I haven’t had any other issues loading monolithic files, like PCM 70 concert hall, Which is pretty great by the way.

2. hydroquebec

hydroquebec Member

@italo de angelis, the error is:
    too much 96k cycles ( 4772 > 3280 )
    ERROR: Compilation unsuccessful !!

That is 2 (L/R) diffusors -> Reverb Rev. D with 32 delays -> Left Hi/Low EQ and Right Hi/Low EQ. Weird stuff...

3. italo de angelis

italo de angelis Member

OF COURSE!
    You said "A Reverb w/32 delays"... and now is 2 diffusors (delays in each?) + 2 Hi/Low TONEs... that's very different.
    Anyway... check total delay time in the RevD module. Stay below 16000.

4. hydroquebec

hydroquebec Member

Yeah, I added the diffusors and EQs today. I think this loads at 48k... I'll continue to experiment and see what I can come up with. Just the reverbs I am creating with 12 and 24 delays are awesome enough!

I'm also noticing all of the control math functions for creating interesting LFOs for modulated delays and such. The random number generator was interesting, LFO functioned as expected with polarity for doing opposed mod delays, but I'm quite curious about the random generator in the H3000OSC math module as well. I'm curious to see if it's actually random... I think there are 20 waves in that module to play with. Very cool.

Moddelays are really fun. I get some zippering there with a square wave..Glide response doesn't help much, so I've got to look into that...

Anyway, so much more to learn. It will be quite endless for quite some time...

5. italo de angelis

italo de angelis Member

The reason why a single REV_D w/32 lines doesn't load at 96K is the amount of delay memory used in the module. Lower it and it will run.

96KHz means you have only one DSP on board as high sample frequency cut the power in half.

You can load a 28 dlys REV_D with 2 diffusors in front of it and 2 highcut fiters after it.
    Build the UI for the modules... don't just bring them up to the display... so unelegant.
    You will be able to use the internal low cut filter, using a knob quantized to 1.0 dB for fine cuts. Works fine.
    Custom built UI is also necessary to run the 2 diffusors from common parameters single knobs (Size, Diffusion). Size should never be 0%. Use a minimum of 1%.

The H3000 has plenty of waveforms but several of them are ONLY triggered ones. They won't continuosly run; a trigger needs to be used to make them run once. As it was on the H3000.
    If you understand how to build a min/max limiting function with control math modules you could use the Random waveform to do what the Randomizer does with internal min/max values.
    Check the presets on board... there's an encyclopedia of functions already made you can use....

Last edited: Nov 23, 2017
  6. italo de angelis

italo de angelis Member

A square wave will do nothing useful there as delay will either be X or Y. Nothing in between... no glides there.
    But... glides are to be applied to the base delay, not to the modulation input... to really unwrap their powers!

Last edited: Nov 23, 2017
  7. italo de angelis

italo de angelis Member

Here's a GLIDE delay lab.
    You can watch/listen to what happens to delays being directly swept, not modulated.
    What you see are KNOBS swept by the LFOs.

Finally... the famous Henry Kaiser time/pitch stretch efx (PCM42)... DONE!

Enjoy:

"THE GLIDES"

Gone Fission likes this.
  8. Gone Fission

Gone Fission Member

Great video, fantastic impetus to explore. But "secrets" . . . Hmm. I'll just have to find out on my own.

9. italo de angelis

italo de angelis Member

Those are just for my own testing purposes... nothing concerning the user.

10. hydroquebec

hydroquebec Member

I was personally having trouble figuring out how to my modulate the delay time, but I had driven 7 hrs. and wasn’t in the right head. I’m back at it now...

11. italo de angelis

italo de angelis Member

Study the presets... and the KNOBs.

12. hydroquebec

hydroquebec Member

Cool. I think the module is ModDelay, but I'll keep reading to find an interface where I can send an LFO to DelayAmt. The good news is that I was able to create a very nice modulated delay with a highcut filter within the feedback path with controls for cut, resonance, and gain. Adding another module for a touch of overdrive (perhaps before the filters) should unlock some really nice sounds.

Once I figure out how to patch the LFO to the DelayAmt, this one is going to be a very nice vintage delay.

13. italo de angelis

italo de angelis Member

@hydroquebec

Parameters justification...
    you don't have a choice like in plain text writing on a computer, so you have to be smart:
    -capital letters take space. Avoid them.
    -parameters names can be shorter if necessay: dly for delay, dcy for decay, fdbk for feedback, etc.
    -use blank spaces to get vertical alignment
    -put colons right after parameter name, leave a space after colon, leave a space between parameter value and type:
    you don't want to see "dcy:2.5sec" it's ugly. "dcy: 2.5 sec" is nice
    Use the above as your compulsory rules for nice UI.
    The format syntagm... use X.Y with X=the total number of characters you want to see, including the decimal point. Y=number of decimal figures IF any. Parameters values ARE to be considered in relation to min/max values for them (set in a knob) which make sense for the parameter max. or desired (might be lower than max.) range.
    Examples:
    for a reverb decay going from 0.100 sec to 100.000 sec => "dcy: %7.3f sec"
    for a delay time ranging 0.00 ms to 2000.00 ms -> "dly: %7.2f ms"
    for feedback ranging -100 % to 100 % -> (percentknob) "fdbk: %4.0f %%"
    for an Lfo rate ranging 0.00 Hz to 500.00 Hz -> "rate: %6.2f Hz"

Often you may move a parameter value far away from its colon to align it to the upper one. Just insert blank spaces between colon and parameter value to move it to the right.
    If you look at the factory presets you'll understand what I mean.

A nice UI will *ALWAYS* have:
    -all parameters colons vertically aligned
    -all parameters types (ms/dB/Hz/sec/%...) vertically aligned

96 Khz is nice, I know... but I never use it UNLESS I have a real reason for it. Too heavy of a cost loosing 50% of dsp possibilities. You have used your gear at 48 KHz so far... won't be a disappointment anyway to stay there.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2017
  14. italo de angelis

italo de angelis Member

Elegant formatting gives the eye information in a much faster way.
    Also consistency thru presets (same parameters names, same formatting, etc) helps for that.

This:
    [​IMG]

vs.

this:
    [​IMG]

Notice:
    -colons/parameter last number/type (Hz, ms, %, etc,) vertically aligned
    -only small letters... no capitals. I loved CAPITALS all the way when I STARTED!!!
    -shorter names
    -first right top line: "params" added to mean you are looking at a specific FX menu of parameters
    -correct... depth in ms vs Hz. "db" should be "dB".

-if you sweep parameters values thru their full range their alignment WON'T change. If that changes... it means formatting is wrong.
    As in the image below... everything at max... formatting still there!

[​IMG]

15. italo de angelis

italo de angelis Member

More UI magic!

Some funky ones from the factory presets... BANK 13/ Films - Athmospheres

1312 DON'T GO IN THE CELLAR
    Amazing preset with super elegant UI design by Scott Gilfix! This is a magic QUAD preset with those delay taps circling around your head! (Billy... got the 2 extra speakers yet?).
    Look at the large graphic UI taking 2/3rd of the display... see those vertical lines circling around in a 3D layout? Those are 50 delay taps.
    Cool, uh?

[​IMG]

1310 A NICE PLACE !
    One of my spooky things... still in quad.
    I used a couple of graphic tricks to create a screen saver.
    On the left side of the display you see 4 text lines... each one has a set of 8 words, so 32 in all. They change at different speeds... so you get a ton of different RANDOM combinations (vertically).
    On the right side you have flying starts... yep... the old asterisk * is moving left to right to left... in 4 lines at different speeds... Here I used LFOs sweeping textmonitors values to create stars animation on the display.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

ONLY POSSIBLE ON A ****ING H8000!

16. italo de angelis

italo de angelis Member

How about some ANALOG style graphics... like faders, VU monitors, round knobs, on line text help, trigger keys, graphic EQ curves ?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. hydroquebec

hydroquebec Member

I'm searching through Reference -> Statement Formatting in the vSig manual for this stuff...and I see this:

Flags:
    One or more of '-', '0', ' ', '#' may appear following the percent sign. If present, these have the following meanings:
    The text will be left-aligned, otherwise it will be aligned to the right.
    0 Zeros will be added to the left of the text if it is less than width characters. If used, this flag should immediately precede the width field.

Width:
    This is a number giving the minimum number of characters to be displayed. If this field is not present, a minimum width of 0 will be assumed.
    If the knob value has fewer characters than the width value, blanks ' ' or zeros '0' will be added to the left or right, depending on the flags (see above).
    If the knob value has more characters than this value, they will be displayed - no characters will be lost.​

So I think this is all about specifying widths properly. What you post is cool to look at and helps to define best practices. Examples would be helpful here.

Regarding the Depth control, I'm using the LFO oscillator module here. I was thinking it should be labelled, Frequency based on this:

Control inputs:
    freq

Controls the rate of the LFO. Range: 0 to 1000 Hertz.​

18. italo de angelis

italo de angelis Member

-Use my guide on formatting and you'll live happy. The manual may have something on KNOBS formatting...
    -LFO frequency goes in Hz and it's called speed or rate, not depth. That's how much the LFO is sweeping a delay in time units, right? It applies to the MODDELAY mod input knob.
    In delays modulation:
    DEPTH is a knob tied to delays MOD input, specifying how much a delay is being swept from its base value in milliseconds.
    RATE is a knob tied to the LFO rate/speed input, specifying how fast the LFO modulates those delays... in Hertzs.

hydroquebec likes this.
  19. italo de angelis

italo de angelis Member

Never seen those flags in any preset in my life, Billy.
    Do you have a DSP4500 user manual? I think it explains formatting better...

20. italo de angelis

italo de angelis Member

Yes... you call an LFO cycle FREQUENCY but it will conflict with eq/filters parameters... so rate/speed are better choices...