Eventide H8000FW - All about it... please post here.

Discussion in 'The Rack Space' started by italo de angelis, Nov 21, 2017.

Tags:
  1. italo de angelis

italo de angelis Member

More about the depths of freedom you get from an open platform...
    yesterday I was teaching an H8000 user on Skype; we were working on the "atomic" finesse of the whole thing.
    So... while using a PERCENTKNOB I had him understanding some modules are coded in a way to do the job of more modules at the same time.
    So a PERCENTKNOB has an inner quantization of 100 steps for -100% to 100% type of control.
    One can build the same function using a regular knob and other control math modules.
    Now... you don't have to use the example below as a single knob is a smarter way than 4... to do the same thing... but it's good to learn...

This one shows the control math needed to turn a regular knob into a percentknob using simple multiply or divide basic math.
    It also shows the way to modulate a signal via control and a dezippered bridge module.
    Study the modules content...
    here...

HEADM adc 2 2 ampmod-out ampmod-out Empty Empty 1 menupage-obj ;=0,0,100,0
    MIXER mixer 2 adc-in1 adc-in2 -3 -3 ;=100,0,100,0
    MENUPAGE menupage "math magic" c_math 4 knob-obj textknob-obj monitor-obj monitor1-obj ;=1050,200,100,0
    KNOB knob "level: %4.0f %%" knob -100 100 1 0 ;=275,75,100,0
    TEXTKNOB textknob "math : %s" textknob 2 0 multiply divide ;=425,275,100,0
    C_SWITCH c_switch 2 textknob-out knob-out 0 ;=425,75,100,0
    C_SWITCH c_switch1 2 textknob-out 0 knob-out ;=425,175,100,0
    C_MULTIPLY c_multiply c_switch-out 0.01 ;=575,75,100,0
    C_DIVIDE c_divide c_switch1-out 100 ;=575,175,100,0
    MONITOR monitor c_multiply-out "multp: %6.2f" monitor ;=725,75,100,0
    MONITOR monitor1 c_divide-out "divid: %6.2f" monitor ;=725,175,100,0
    C_FLTR_A c_fltr_a 30 c_divide-out ;=1050,75,100,0
    AMPMOD ampmod mixer-out c_fltr_a-out 1 0 ;=1275,0,100,0

Last edited: Dec 21, 2017
  2. italo de angelis

italo de angelis Member

Here's another cool one.
    The HUMAN LFO!!!

Yep... YOU are sweeping the modulation input of a delay... in unipolar (0 to 1) or bipolar (-1 to 1) way.
    The MANUAL parameter is what you grab and sweep... it's exactly the same thing you would have on an Electric Mistress pedal... only that you will be the sweeping engine.
    Right audio output is -90° out of phase (quadrature module). Cool and simple!

HEADM adc 2 2 lq1-norm lq1-quad "Human LFO" "" 1 leftmenu-obj ;=300,-50,100,0
    MENUPAGE leftmenu "human LFO params" delay 5 Kmanual-obj Kdly-obj Kdepth-obj lfeedback-obj hmonitor-obj ;=1025,200,100,0
    PERCENTKNOB lfeedback "fback : %4.0f %%" feedback -100 100 1 75 ;=225,150,100,0
    KNOB Kmanual "manual: %8.3f " delay -1 1 0.001 0 ;=325,300,100,0
    KNOB Kdly "delay : %3.0f ms" knob 0 660 1 5 ;=675,325,100,0
    KNOB Kdepth "depth : %6.2f ms" knob 0 660 0.01 5 ;=675,450,100,0
    C_FLTR_A ld1 30 Kmanual-out ;=525,300,100,0
    HMONITOR hmonitor Kmanual-out -1 1 human human ;=525,425,100,0
    MIX lmix adc-in1 ldelay-out 1 lfeedback-out ;=225,0,100,0
    MICRODELAY ldelay 660 lmix-out ld1-out Kdly-out Kdepth-out ;=675,25,100,0
    QUADRATURE lq1 ldelay-out ;=1000,25,100,0

If you think about this algorithm... you have a way to create a random waveform for those sweeps! How about a 6 voice chorus with random waves....?

Last edited: Dec 21, 2017
  3. hydroquebec

hydroquebec Member

Hi @italo de angelis you really were correct when you told me to go through the presets. I was able to take a week off of work between Christmas and New Year's Day and I went through everything. I also sent several presets over to vSig, so that I could study them and I learned quite a bit.

I think it's funny that I was chasing the Swept Reverb for so long, yet there it was right in front of me, inside of H3000 Breathing Canyon...but still, I like my version better with more density and (now) scaling size, depth, rate, etc.

I've spent most of my time refining small components, rather than focusing on the monster algorithms. The results are much, much better. I think what happened was that I bought a Ferrari and tried to race it, when I should have really learned the gearbox first.

ctreitzell and italo de angelis like this.
  4. Coalface1971

Coalface1971 Member

Most intimidating piece of equipment I have ever owned. Had it for over 5 years and am still scared of it. One day, I will actually start to use it......

5. italo de angelis

italo de angelis Member

The guy up has owned it for how long... a month? He almost "owns" it now.
    It's never the car... more likely the driver!

hydroquebec likes this.
  6. Coalface1971

Coalface1971 Member

Gonna change the battery in mine today after Italo reamed me out about it the other day. Wish me luck............

7. italo de angelis

italo de angelis Member

You won't have much stored in it. Nothing to worry then.
    It's a simple operation... DISCONNECT the power cable!

8. italo de angelis

italo de angelis Member

Hi Michael.
    Good catch... congratulations.
    Now... for customer support type of questions... use their website. Here it's more about the fun stuff they don't like to do....

cheers
    I

9. italo de angelis

italo de angelis Member

Not sure if this info has been posted... ever. I just figured it could be very useful to a number of people.
    last VSIGFILE version was written many years ago... definitely before Win8/10... possibly 7 too.
    The version I use is 2.4.9.1 and that should be the most updated one for the "pre_H9000" era.

I run it *PERFECTLY* on Windows 7. No problems.
    I haven't tried on Win8/8.x as I never had any need for it. I know people have used it though.
    So... time to test it on Windows 10.

Before I go any further you should know that I run Windows XP and 7 on a PC, natively.
    I also run Win XP, 7 and Win10 on Macs, virtualizing the Microsoft system thru VMWare Fusion.
    So anything I'm describing works in this scenario... BUT there is no reason why it wouldn't work natively, on a Windows based PC.
    I know two people running Vsig 2.4.9.1 on Win10... and one works at Eventide. So.... be happy.

Macs do not have SERIAL COM ports. You need an USB to SERIAL COM adapter.
    Traditionally Mac users (the cork sniffers they are...) use the Keyspan USA 19-HS converter. I have one... works fine and gets drivers updates with every new Mac/Win OS release.
    It's expensive though....
    I have it but guess what? I'm not using it. What I use is a "no name/no place" converter, bought for 4 peanuts and half... maybe.
    The thing has a PROLIFIC chip in it. So if you are/will be shopping for an USB to SERIAL COM converter for your Mac... check if the thing has a PROLIFIC chipset in it.
    THAT WILL WORK!!!

On Windows 10.
    Install Vsigfile 2.4.9.1
    connect the USB to COM converter with the proper SERIAL CABLE screwed to it and to the Eventide.
    The SERIAL CABLE is a regular "THRU" cable... meaning that pin 1 goes to pin 1, 2 to 2, 3 to 3... and so on.
    DO NOT USE CROSSED or MODEM SERIAL CABLES. Their pins out scheme is twisted.
    Now launch Vsig. It'll tell you to use MIDI to get DBASE. Close that tab.
    Open PREFERENCES > COMS SETUP > SERIAL tab
    usually everything here is already correctly set but the Stop Bits, which should be set to 2.
    Baud rate must be 115200 and data bits 8. Parity = none.
    Now you can try any of the 4 COM ports, just select one and click OK.
    Try Get Dbase under MIDI. If everything works fine you'll see a wheel appearing on the monitor and the H8000 (or other Eventide) display showing it's sending modules to the computer.
    If you don't see that... your COM ain't working.
    Be confident. Try any COM under the PREFERENCES >COMMS > PORT window.
    If none works... go to Windows device manager... where you see all the guts components of your machine.
    You may see an "Unknown device" with a small yellow sign.... meaning there is no driver loaded. Right click on it to check its properties and click on Update Driver.
    Win10 can use the internet to locate the driver, make the web your choice to get the driver.
    You'll need to restart Windows when the driver has been installed.
    Re_check device manager. Under COM/LPT ports you should now see Prolific USB to Serial Comm Port (COMx)... where "x" is the number of COM port used by the driver.
    You could even change that number but there is no need to. Just remember it.
    Go back to Vsig, launch it and click on PREFERENCES > COMMS... select COMx under the Port tab. Set the COM# to the same number you read in device manager.
    Click ok.
    Now do the Get Dbase operation and Vsig will suck out the modules database from the machine and prompt you to store it when done. Just store it.
    When done... reboot Vsig.
    You're go!

It works here... virtualized on Mac... it should work there too.

Be PROLIFIC... make a lot of algorithms!
    o_O

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018 at 12:39 PM
    ctreitzell likes this.
  10. hydroquebec

hydroquebec Member

Great post.

I'm running vSig on Win10 with very minor issues - some problems with selections, priority of dialog boxes. Nothing big at all. I'm also happy to help anyone ready to get setup.

Regarding database setup, I have an older one on my work PC and a version from my H8000 (v5.6). I was surprised to notice that with the older database (downloaded from Eventide), percent knobs have %% formatting embedded. On the new database, the %% are missing. This isn't even close to being an issue, but I did notice it. Small stuff, for sure...there might be other things.