Eventide H9 a question . . . help!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by J D Miley, Jan 31, 2015.

1. J D Miley

J D Miley Supporting Member

I am thinking of trying an H9 .
    My main concern is latency. I tried the Eventide "Time Factor" a couple of years ago . The only thing I did not like about it was when using a midi pedal it did not switch between presets fast enough . There was too much of a pause. Not as bad as the old ART stuff was, but still not "instantly"
    So I got a Strymon Time Line. It switches between presets fast and even does spill over.
    So my question:
    How fast does the H9 switch between presets ?

You comments will be helpful, Thanks, JD

2. Michael_V

Michael_V Supporting Member

3. thiscalltoarms

thiscalltoarms more gadgets than Batman. Gold Supporting Member

Yikes really? That could be a deal breaker for me.

4. daioni

daioni Member

My initial impression is that it seems pretty slow (one week in).

5. J D Miley

If the Eventide stuff could manage to fix this latency issue, their product line would be very hard to beat. In a live performance where you just have to have a certain effect come in right on the right beat of the music, latency sucks.
    My 21 year old Rocktron Intellifex switches fast, as does my Strymon Timeline.
    200ms to get to the next preset is just stretching it for live performances.
    I do need some intelligent Pitch shift FX, so I may just find a used Pitch Factor and set my midi / loop system to do some instant access to kick it in like a pedal.
    No matter how great their delays and other FX sound, it does me no good if they come in too late in certain songs/music.
    If music was distance, it is ok to be off by an inch or two, but to be off by a foot or two is not acceptable.

Retailers like Musiciansfriend have a money back policy, so I guess I could buy an H9 and try, but me kind of knowing there is a latency issue, why waist my time and theirs.

6. MegaMan9

MegaMan9 Member

I think the H9 is faster than the factor series when using MIDI

7. realast8

realast8 Member

This is my experience as well. Have never really had an issue with any preset switching lag on either of my H9s.

FWIW, I'm not typically ever scrolling up through the banks..I always have all of the presets I'm going to use for an upcoming set saved/programmed in to preset/banks on the MIDI controller. For example, I hit preset 1A on my DMC-7 and it triggers one H9 to preset 10, the Timeline to preset 44A, and the other H9 to preset 4, etc. This is really the only way I use my MIDI capable pedals live and in this context I've never noticed any perceptible lag or had any instance where I noticed that the timing was off or that some specific effect I wanted came in too late or whatever.

I did used to notice a delay sometimes with my Eventide Space / factor series pedal used in this same format. But with reverb, it was never really an issue for me as the only time I would have been trying to cue up a significant amount of reverb (enough that a delay might even be noticeable in the context of a full band) - I was using it in conjuction with other effects that would have made it even more difficult or imperceptible to tell that the reverb came in a half a second or a second later than I triggered it.

Still, again, I can definitely tell that the H9 has significantly less of a delay than the Space and with how I use it, I notice no lag at all.

8. rck

rck Supporting Member

I only notice latency when switching to the Shimmer algo when using my midi controller.

The latency was improved from the Space to the H9, IIRC.

9. thesauce

thesauce Member

Agreed. I just set up mine for midi. No complaints

10. J D Miley

If this is so, then this might not be as big of an issue. The Time Factor was just a tad too slow. If there is noticeable improvement on this on the H9, that should be good enough. It does not have to be perfect, just noticeably faster than the "Factor" series.
    My thoughts on this when I tried the Time Factor were " If this thing could just switch from preset to preset just a little faster".

I sent Eventide an email about the Time factor's latency . Their response was mostly denial , and then claimed that I could down load the newer software and that should improve the latency problem. I did . . . it did not.
    "Latency ? There is no latency, but downloading updated software will fix it" HMM Bill Clinton " I did not have latency that unit" LOL

I went to my fellow gear pagers about this as well. Over 1/2 of them that responded that use midi agreed about the latency. The rest that responded say it was not that big of a deal .
    If I did not have to switch presets via midi to have an effect engage right at a certain moment in a tune, this would be no problem. I just have about 4-5 songs that I need a certain timed delay that needs to come on right on the beat(or extremely close anyway).

There is no denying the quality of Eventide FX. Their sound quality is great. But it is like having a Rolls Royce that never gets you to the dance or meeting on time.
    Hopefully, the H9 may be better.

11. rck

rck Supporting Member

I use mine primarily for Delays, then Reverb and again the Shimmer is the only algo that had a noticeable latency to me.

I can't really speak to the Mod and Pitchfactor's on the H9 cuz I don't use them, yet!

Good luck, the Timefactor and Space algo's have been very impressive to me, couldn't be happier with just using those.