Eventide H9 Max vs Strymon Mobius

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by alien_vamp, Mar 10, 2015.

1. alien_vamp

alien_vamp Member

Hi everyone. I got Eventide PitchFactor and Strymon Mobius. So, I'm thinking about buying Eventide H9 Max and replacing my PitchFactor and Mobius with it. Please share your tone experience for both units. All I'm interested on how good does modulation EFX sound on H9 vs Mobius. Thank you!!!

2. DGTCrazy

DGTCrazy Moderator de Emporio Staff Member

Kind of an "Apples vs. Oranges" there, since the Mobius only covers the Modulation side of things, where the H9 Max's 45 Algorithms cover their Time, Mod, Pitch & Space pedals. Both great, great pedals IMO.

3. CaptainAwesome

CaptainAwesome Supporting Member

One consideration is that you can only run one algorithm at a time on an H9, so if you use both the Pitchfactor and Mobius together you won't be able to replicate this combination with just one H9 (add an H9 Core and you're set). The modulation in both pedals is very good and I don't find myself missing the Mobius now that I have the H9.

4. RockDebris

RockDebris Member

I use both on my board and whenever I need a modulation effect I compare and pick the one I like the most. Mobius wins out most of the time, but that's not to say that if I didn't have the Mobius I wouldn't be happy using the H9 (in fact, I have a small version of my pedal board with just the H9 and BigSky with versions of my Mobius presets dialed into the H9 best I can. No one but me really notices the difference).

One consideration I have though is whether I want the effects Pre or Post (either end of the preamp). The Mobius can be switched to either if you use their Pre/Post feature. It gives its algos a little leg up that you can move them around in the chain like that. So the question is, do you use both Pitchfactor and Mobius in the same spot in the chain? If so, you'll be fine. If not, joining them on a single H9 will force you to choose and will make adoption a little more difficult. I wonder if the H9 will ever have a PRE/POST feature. With all the different algos you can load with it, it really screams for one.

5. dpgreek

dpgreek Supporting Member

So on H9, you cant run a chorus and delay at the same time and make a preset? No routing options either? (Like pre post of Mobius?)

6. Resonate01

Resonate01 Member

7. lhama

lhama Member

the mobius is a better product, than a modfactor, imo. I did a shootout, and the mobius sounded just as good or better at everything. The only algo I miss is the undolator.

8. DanSimon

DanSimon Member

IMO the Mobius sounds noticeably better, esp. the phaser, flanger, rotary+ vibrato. I'm sure th H9 does some mod things the mobius can't do. and vice versa.

Yes i had an H9, i don't have a Mobius but i've heard it in person.

9. Eliguitar

Eliguitar Member

I have both. When it comes to modulation the möbius sounds a lot better imo

10. brettmoor

brettmoor Silver Supporting Member

I've owned both at the same time and I definitely think in terms of modulation, Möbius does sound noticeably better. Then again, I don't really use the H9 for any mod sounds and ultimately sold the Strymon to go back to analog modulation pedals

11. Carolina Paul

Carolina Paul Member

Hi folks. This is way late, but perhaps someone will find value in my experience. Heaven knows, I have learned so much from other folks' posts.

So I have both - the H9 Max and the Mobius. The biggest challenge to focus on the task at hand, pick an effect, and lock it in. The moment I start noodling with these pedals I end up losing an hour of time. To the OP, is there an option to keep both. You have a crazy number of combos. I even put a Boss DD-7 behind them so I wouldn't need to use the delay on either the H9 or Mobi.

And also, the latest update enables you to route PRE/POST on a preset basis. My goodness, this is fun.

dg87 likes this.