Eventide H9 Max vs Timefactor - Midi & Delay Spillover questions

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by MonstaTone, May 29, 2015.

1. MonstaTone

MonstaTone Member

I did a search, but did not find anything relating exactly to my questions.

I am thinking about replacing my TC Electronic Flashback X4 pedal. I love the sounds that I get out of it, but the midi functionality (or extreme lack of functionality) just flat out sucks balls.
    I don't want to rant about it, the FB is a great sounding delay pedal, it's just not working for me.

I am considering an H9 Max or a Timefactor.

Here is my setup:
    Guitar --> Wha pedal --> Crocodile Tail OC-10 looper pedal --> several dirt boxes --> amp input
    Amp Send --> OC-10 loop 8 input --> TC Corona Chorus pedal (loop 8) (also probably getting replaced) --> Flashback X4 (loop 9) --> Amp Return

The only reason the Flashback is in a loop is because there is no midi function to bypass it.

The OC-10 sends PC commands only, no CC commands.
    It also has no midi mapping function as of yet, although Crocodile Tail says this function will be in a future firmware update.

Here is my problem:
    OC-10 has no midi mapping, Flashback has no midi mapping - I am stuck with using only certain presets on my OC-10 to access the Flashback.
    This is the only reason that I am thinking about replacing the FB. Plus, the added number of presets on the other units will come in handy.

Here are my questions:
    1. Is there a delay, gap, glitch etc. when changing presets on either the H9 or the Timefactor?
    2. Does the H9 offer Spillover of delays like the Timefactor does?
    3. Does the Midi Thru work well in both of these units?
    4. Will both units work well if they are on the same midi channel as another device, such as a Voodoo Lab Control Switcher?
    5. Will both units work well together (assuming that I had one of each) if they were both on the same midi channel?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. There is nowhere within 2500 miles from me where I can check out Eventide gear.
    Thanks,
    Andy

2. KeLynne

KeLynne Member

I have a timefactor.

1. I don't notice a glitch or gap when changing presets.
    2. The timefactor doesn't really spillover; it has a dsp:fx setting so you don't lose the tail of the delay preset when changing but it's not quite spillover. No real crossfade. I've read that the h9 is the same.
    3. Midi Thru works on the timefactor. No issues here.
    4. Yes. I have dpc 5 and eventide pedals are all on Channel 5.
    5. Yes.

3. tremolo3

tremolo3 Member

Timefactor and Liquid Foot Mini:

1. No.
    2. There's no "true" spillover besides what KeLynne stated above.
    3. Yes.
    4. Haven't tried that yet, but will do later if you want.
    5. ^

I will test my H9 later tonight as well and will update this post later if you want, just let me know.

4. MonstaTone

MonstaTone Member

Right on, thanks guys! Sweetwater has them both for 24 month, no interest......couldn't resist, I got one of each.
    Now I gotta sell some stuff to pay for them!

I'm thinking Timefactor for all of my delays, and the H9 for everything else. I could probably really shrink my pedalboard down now too!

5. tremolo3

tremolo3 Member

Timefactor is such a great piece of pedal, and the looper it's my favorite looper in a pedal. Multi track capabilities would be definitely the perfect looper.

Take a moment to watch this:

Get a nice MIDI controller and an expression pedal and enjoy the beauty of it.

And the H9 MAX, well, it has the Space, Pitchfactor and Undulator algorithms, what else can I say.

6. cbm

cbm Silver Supporting Member

Think how much smaller it would be with two H9s. The flexibility of routing with two H9s is really nice. I kept my TImeFactor, though, and put it on a rack shelf used in in a parallel path.

7. MonstaTone

MonstaTone Member

:DI wanted the Spillovers, although KeLynne says the Timefactor won't do them.....
    If I don't like it, I'll send it back and get another H9 maybe.

On another note, I was just looking at my pedalboard and I will now have room for an expression pedal!

KeLynne likes this.
  8. KeLynne

KeLynne Member

One thing to note, if you didn't have room for the expression pedal is that the dpc 5 loop switcher has the option for an expression roller on the side which fully functions like a pedal. You can set which parameters you want it to control. Pretty cool if you're low on space on your board.

9. OverdriveLover

OverdriveLover Supporting Member

so how did this work out? I have a OC-10 and looking at Delays with Midi...

10. MonstaTone

MonstaTone Member

Well.......
    I wound up getting a Fractal FX-8 and selling everything else (except my trusty old GSP-1101).
    I didn't really bond with the TimeFactor. I thought it was fairly over complicated for a delay pedal. That's not to say that there not wonderful sounds inside it, I just didn't bond with it, so I sent it back.
    The H9 was really cool at first, but I got tired of only being able to use one algorithm or effect at a time. It also had a glitch between presets that drove me nuts.

I'v3 been using the following setup with my new band and it does exactly what I want it to:
    Fractal FX8
    Mesa Triaxis
    Mesa 20/20 power amp
    1x12 Mesa cab by the bass player
    2x12 Mesa 3/4 back cab on my side

There was a learning curve with the FX8, but nothing like the Line 6 HD500X that I had before, or the Eventide stuff.
    All I want is a simple setup with tons of sounds. Sorry I couldn't help you.