Eventide H9

ejkennedy

Just when I'm set to order all new stuff for a mini board, a newer product throws me off track. I'm considering buying the H9 instead of a Empress Tape Delay and Hardwire Supernatural. Am I on track? I want to be able to easily switch from a reverb sound to a delay sound and use the tap button. Is this possible?

ejkennedy

How do you switch from say a delay to a reverb if the tap switch taps the tempo? Do you hold it down for a second to change it into a bank button?

gkellum

How do you switch from say a delay to a reverb if the tap switch taps the tempo? Do you hold it down for a second to change it into a bank button?
Basically. You long press the right footswitch to put it in tap tempo mode, and the LED above it starts flashing in time with the current tempo. You long press it to take it out of tap tempo mode, the LED stops flashing, and then you can use it for going up a preset. You can also press the big knob to reverse the direction of the right footswitch; so, you can set it to either go up or down.

ejkennedy

How long is that long press? Like 1 sec? I think I'm gonna get an H9 instead some other stuff for a new board. Also is there an android app out?

gkellum

It's closer to two seconds. There's no Android app out yet, but H9 Control does run on iPhone/iPod touch, iPad, Mac OS X, and Windows.

rck

can you all give us a heads up on maybe how many new algo's will be released this year? I am stoked and ready for them.

Dana Olsen

Platinum Supporting Member
I don't have an H9, but I did an extensive demo with one at NAMM. You can arrange patches in a pre-assigned order and move through those patches in that order only as I understand it.

For example, you could arrange patches A, B, C and D and set them up so you could scroll through them successively, but only in that order. Therefore, the more memorized patches you have, the more times you gotta stomp to come back around to the first one.

Or, you could also buy a separate small MIDI footswitch to change banks and scroll up and down through all your memorized presets. There are some simple 2 button types that have a small footprint on the board.

Caveat again, all this is "as I understand it". I'm thinking about an H9 so I asked the demo cat lots of questions - lucky for me he didn't have a lot of 'customers' at the time so I had about 10 minutes of somewhat uninterrupted hands-on with it, with the demo guy answering questions and facilitating programming the H9.

Gkellum is spot on about the tap tempo feature, and he seems to know more than I do about the H9 (which wouldn't be hard to accomplish - GRIN) - Gkellum, does what I wrote square with your understanding?

Thanks, I hope this helps, Dana O.

gkellum

You can arrange patches in a pre-assigned order and move through those patches in that order only as I understand it.

For example, you could arrange patches A, B, C and D and set them up so you could scroll through them successively, but only in that order. Therefore, the more memorized patches you have, the more times you gotta stomp to come back around to the first one.
Well, no, what I was trying to explain about the big knob is that it's also a switch and hitting it reverses the direction you're going in. So, say you have presets A, B, C, and D and you stepped up to D but wanted to go to C. You could hit the big knob with your foot and the right footswitch will change directions so that hitting it once will take you down to C. You hit the big knob again and tapping the right footswitch will again be going up, not down. And there are other options as well... You could get a 3 button aux switch and have one of the switches dedicated to preset down. You could use MIDI. You could use the preset list screen in H9 Control to choose your presets instead of your foot. And so on...

ejkennedy

Well, no, what I was trying to explain about the big knob is that it's also a switch and hitting it reverses the direction you're going in. So, say you have presets A, B, C, and D and you stepped up to D but wanted to go to C. You could hit the big knob with your foot and the right footswitch will change directions so that hitting it once will take you down to C. You hit the big knob again and tapping the right footswitch will again be going up, not down. And there are other options as well... You could get a 3 button aux switch and have one of the switches dedicated to preset down. You could use MIDI. You could use the preset list screen in H9 Control to choose your presets instead of your foot. And so on...
And this was my.main concern. With an aux 3-way its bank up, bank down, and tap if I wanted? I'm sold if that's the case.

gkellum

With an aux 3-way its bank up, bank down, and tap if I wanted?
With a 3-way aux switch you could set it up so its preset up, preset down, and tap tempo if you wanted. The H9 doesn't have a bank concept like the earlier Factor pedals did.

Dana Olsen

Platinum Supporting Member
With a 3-way aux switch you could set it up so its preset up, preset down, and tap tempo if you wanted. The H9 doesn't have a bank concept like the earlier Factor pedals did.
Thanks Gkellum - I appreciate the explanation and clarification

Thanks, Dana O.