Eventide ModFactor Demo/Clips

lv

Silver Supporting Member
Here are a couple demo clips of the Eventide ModFactor - I did these quickly, and didn't use the expression pedal much, so these are pretty simple and intended to give a general flavor of what the unit is capable of.

The expression pedal is essential to getting the most out of this unit - for anyone interested in the pedal, even if you're ordering online and aren't sure if you'll keep it, get the expression pedal - it opens a whole new world of tones/colors.

I'll try to do another set of clips later today using the expression pedal more.

Some thoughts on my favorite effects:

Rotary: I love rotary effects, my previous favorite being the H&K Rotoshpere, until now nothing has been able to touch the Rotosphere. The ModFactor easily eclipses the Rotosphere, and has none of the noise the Rotosphere does. The ramp rates up and down sound authentic and the # of parameters you can adjust make for some very cool sounds. For me, the rotary sounds alone are worth the price.

Wah: I was skeptical that a digital unit could sound good - the ModFactor sounds great. I compared it to my Area 51 wah and it compares very favorably. Once you get used to the feel of the expression pedal, you can get some very classic sounds. I wonder if the Vox wah style volume pedal would work with the ModFator as an expresson pedal...

Modfilter: This is just cool sounding. Lots of fun :)

Phase wah: Just like you'd think, a phaser modulated by the expression pedal. Reminds me of the effectrode tube vibe. Great for funk tones.

Tremolo: I like the soft, bias vary style trem. If you like warm ampeg style trem, you'll like this one. Can also do the standard blackface opto trem.

Vibrato: I've never used a vibrato effect before - this is one will have you seasick. Spooky.

(sorry for some of the room vibrations you hear on the clips)
Presets 1:1 to 10:2
http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6300777

Presets 11:1 to 20:2
http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6300800

kiki_90291

Silver Supporting Member
Those sound great - thanks for putting that together. I'm ordering one today :) Any recommendations for expression pedals?

Alex Law

Nicely done, lv! There's still a certain depth and warmth that isn't showing up on the recordings, though. Those demos are great, really, but in front of the amp the ModFactor sounds more organic and warmer, IMO.

starfish

Nice clips. Thanks for doing these! :)

The univibe preset sounds really good.

How does the biphase setting and through-zero flange sound?

jelyfinger

Very nice! I think the only two effects that suffer post preamp are the phase & wah with the phase most significantly. The wah effects surprised me thru the loop...they actually are usable! The rest sound much better thru the loop on my set-up!

lifeinsong

Both the TimeFactor and Modfactor are amazing sounding pedals, the demos don't do them any justice...there's a ton of great sounds in there.

I've been wondering about the Expression pedal situation myself...seems that not even Eventide really knows for sure what pedals will work... on their website they only list the Line6, Roland EV-5, and FV500L. I've heard others on TGP say that they've used the EB Jr Active VP(25K), but the 25K pot exceeds Eventide's 5K-20K specification in their FAQ section on the website. So needless to say, like a lot of others on here, I'm quite perplexed.

In my opinion, the L6 and EV-5 are complete junk and the FV500L is just way too big for pedalboard usage, especially since I would need 2 of them.

Anybody else have any ideas? It shouldn't be this difficult considering all the time that was put into the R&D of these pedals.

blood5150

After listening to all the clips I am kind of glad I didnt jump on this right away. I not as impressed with the Modfactor as I was with the Timefactor.

my two cents.

MrMunky

Great demos; thanks for doing these. The presets actually sound respectable. I doubt I'd use any without tweaking, but usually presets are abysmal even on the best gear.

lv

Silver Supporting Member
Nicely done, lv! There's still a certain depth and warmth that isn't showing up on the recordings, though. Those demos are great, really, but in front of the amp the ModFactor sounds more organic and warmer, IMO.

I've got the amp dialed pretty bright - I'll try putting it in front and dialing up something warmer.

Angle Loss

I've got the amp dialed pretty bright - I'll try putting it in front and dialing up something warmer.

Or perhaps have a little less of the room coloration (reverb) in the clip. That would help to isolate what the Modfactor is doing.

btw, thanks so much for doing these clips! Mine is coming tomorrow, and I have so enjoyed listening to you demo it. All the other clips (youtube, Eventide site even) just didn't quite do it justice. You have helped many people with your clips. Again, thanks for posting them.
:BEER

lv

Silver Supporting Member
Or perhaps have a little less of the room coloration (reverb) in the clip. That would help to isolate what the Modfactor is doing.

btw, thanks so much for doing these clips! Mine is coming tomorrow, and I have so enjoyed listening to you demo it. All the other clips (youtube, Eventide site even) just didn't quite do it justice. You have helped many people with your clips. Again, thanks for posting them.
:BEER

Glad to help my friend, I think you will be very happy with it! :)

lifeinsong

Lou, any suggestions as to which Expression pedal to use...don't like the L6 or EV-5, and the FV500L is nice but too big for my board...need 2 because I have a TF and MF...appreciate your thoughts, thanks.

lv

Silver Supporting Member
Lou, any suggestions as to which Expression pedal to use...don't like the L6 or EV-5, and the FV500L is nice but too big for my board...need 2 because I have a TF and MF...appreciate your thoughts, thanks.

I'm using the EV-5....doesn't inspire confidence...but it is all I have right now.

starfish

I have an EV-5 for my Timefactor and I rarely, if ever, use the expression pedal with the TF. It's good to know the expression pedal is useful with the Modfactor since I already have a neglected EV-5. :)

Trending Topics

Top Bottom