Eventide ModFactor Modulation Guitar Effects

radcliff

The modfactor did sound good, and all presets have tap tempo, but when i asked them about what I would do if I wanted some effects pre gain (auto wah) and some post gain (chorus, trem), they really had no answer...... kinda makes half the effects a bit useless.

starfish

We also found out yesterday that Eventide WILL NOT be including the polymod algo as originally at Namm 2007 and listed in the brochures, etc. The photos still showed it on the effect face at least through this past weekend.

The official reason was stated that it will not fit and that at Namm 2007 the unit wasn't fully loaded so it fit back then. This is a bummer for me because polymod was the main reason I had still considered getting one. I also posed a question about whether a second LFO will be included. The response stated the features are not finalized. I'm not sure if I reading into it too much but I suspect the second LFO could be removed. This is what gives polymod its true uniqueness.

However, a rotary algo will be present in its place. I'm not sure how/if this algo will differ from "bridge of sighs" preset in the Timefactor.

Darn!

For those scratching their heads, here's the definition of Polymod from the Eventide FAQ:

What is an "PolyMod" ?
Polymod is an effect taken from the Eventide H-series rack processors which features three sets of stereo delays with FM modulation of each set. This allows very rich modulation while smearing the sense of sweep patterns.

:( In other words, it's a unique, ultra-cool modulation type that you won't find elsewhere in pedal form, not even in Modfactor after yesterday's news.

teefus

i bought one of the first run tf's in july. i love it. i stopped by the eventide booth at namm and hung there for a while. they were demoing the tf and the mf and the mf sounded great too. i am not a huge modulation user so i asked if they had plans for a reverb. the eventide guy said they had no announcements to make it official but he hinted that they had at least been thinking about if not working on a reverb pedal. no mention of a harmonizer but that makes sense too.

jcshirke

Silver Supporting Member
The modfactor did sound good, and all presets have tap tempo, but when i asked them about what I would do if I wanted some effects pre gain (auto wah) and some post gain (chorus, trem), they really had no answer...... kinda makes half the effects a bit useless.
Not if you've got a Switchblade. :dude:dude

jb70

Silver Supporting Member
can the eventide stompboxes be powered with a pedal power 2 plus?

No but VL is comming out with a new Power Supply called the Versa with both DC and AC options. It looks like there are Low Current DC jacks with 3 9V and 1 18V . It also has a High Current section with an 9V AC plug, a 9V DC and a 12V DC (I think you can choose one of the HC options) and enough power for the Eventide TF/MF.

Alex Law

I've been wondering about that for quite a while, and have posed the question on their forum. Hmmm.

jcshirke

Silver Supporting Member
No but VL is comming out with a new Power Supply called the Versa with both DC and AC options. It looks like there are Low Current DC jacks with 3 9V and 1 18V . It also has a High Current section with an 9V AC plug, a 9V DC and a 12V DC (I think you can choose one of the HC options) and enough power for the Eventide TF/MF.
I didn't realize they couldn't be powered by the PP2. I'm reading the manual now, and it says it runs on 9V DC (1200ma). So, I wonder what the problem is? Does it have something to do with the 1200ma?

Angle Loss

I didn't realize they couldn't be powered by the PP2. I'm reading the manual now, and it says it runs on 9V DC (1200ma). So, I wonder what the problem is? Does it have something to do with the 1200ma?
Yeah, the PP2 can only output 200ma max on two of the outputs, far below the requirements for the TF. I am glad to see that new PP versa though, I might have to get one when I get a Modfactor...

edit: nevermind, not enough outputs. I'd have to get the PP AC in addition to the PP2+ I already have.

jb70

Silver Supporting Member
Yeah, the PP2 can only output 200ma max on two of the outputs, far below the requirements for the TF. I am glad to see that new PP versa though, I might have to get one when I get a Modfactor...

edit: nevermind, not enough outputs. I'd have to get the PP AC in addition to the PP2+ I already have.
yeah, that blows. i'm currently putting together a board for an electronica/pop/funky/weird band that i just joined and i want to have a wah, 3 od/fuzz pedals, a boss re-20, a phaser, a digitech whammy, and both eventide stomp boxes and it looks like it's going to be impossible to power the board with 1 power supply. has anyone else run into this problem? if so, what did you do?

jcshirke

Silver Supporting Member
yeah, that blows. i'm currently putting together a board for an electronica/pop/funky/weird band that i just joined and i want to have a wah, 3 od/fuzz pedals, a boss re-20, a phaser, a digitech whammy, and both eventide stomp boxes and it looks like it's going to be impossible to power the board with 1 power supply. has anyone else run into this problem? if so, what did you do?
I understand the dilemma, but to simplify your board, won't the MF be able to replace your wah, phaser, and whammy?

jb70

Silver Supporting Member
I understand the dilemma, but to simplify your board, won't the MF be able to replace your wah, phaser, and whammy?
well i'm sure it will be able to replace the phaser but i don't think it will quite do what the whammy pedal does. as far as the wah, i believe that it will do a q-wah effect but i was planning on getting something like a teese rmc 3. i don't think the mf will do exactly what that does. voodoo labs is supposed to be coming out with a wah as well that looks interesting.

jcshirke

Silver Supporting Member
well i'm sure it will be able to replace the phaser but i don't think it will quite do what the whammy pedal does. as far as the wah, i believe that it will do a q-wah effect but i was planning on getting something like a teese rmc 3. i don't think the mf will do exactly what that does. voodoo labs is supposed to be coming out with a wah as well that looks interesting.
I was wondering what the whammy effect in the MF would be like, since it should involve pitch-shifting. I guess we'll find out.

How does a q-wah differ from a regular wah? I guess I'm not sure what to expect from that effect either.

Angle Loss

I was wondering what the whammy effect in the MF would be like, since it should involve pitch-shifting. I guess we'll find out.

How does a q-wah differ from a regular wah? I guess I'm not sure what to expect from that effect either.
The MF does not have pitch shifting or whammy effects unfortunately. Here is the current list (who knows, it may change again ;) )

10 Main Effect Types
Chorus
Phaser
Q-Wah
Flanger
ModFilter
Rotary
TremoloPan
Vibrato
Undulator
Ringmod

Although I haven't heard it, I would imaging the Q-wah to be an envelope filter/auto wah. You probably could control it like a wah with an expression pedal.

Alex Law

It does appear that there's no answer short of buying two ModFactors, so you can't (realistically) use, say, Q-Wah and Chorus simultaneously, if you want the Wah to be pre-distortion and the Chorus to be post.

That's OK. If I love it that much I'll buy two. More likely, it'll replace one of my analog effects, or merely suppliment. I never did expect a modulation pedal to be as much of a killer-app as the TimeFactor, anyway.

Trending Topics