Eventide Modfactor - Thoughts? Experiences?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by ecbluesman54, Jul 28, 2008.

1. ecbluesman54

ecbluesman54 Member

Just curious what the thoughts are on the Eventide Modfactor from some owners. I have a Keeley/Line6 MM-4 on my board, but there are times that I dont always use my board, or need to carry it. I haven't looked it up yet, but can the modfactor be used with batteries, or just a power supply?
    Thanks for your thoughts!

2. bapman

bapman Member

No battery! Only with power supply.

3. popsongsmith

popsongsmith Senior Member

Yeah, power supply only. And as I recall, the jury's still out on whether you can even use a PP2 or similar to power the thing.

I had one and sold it, mainly because I bought it mostly for the chorus patches, which I found disappointing, and frankly not nice as just about any good analog stompbox, or the MM4 for that matter.

Also, it's really a tweaker's delight, which is not my cup of tea. There are some good tones in there, to be sure, but you've got to dig in there and get them. The MM4 is much simpler, and the interface is brilliant.

4. jeffinaustin

jeffinaustin Supporting Member

mine works fine with PP2. No issues.

5. Dennis Rayburn

Dennis Rayburn Supporting Member

I love mine.

Contrary to what a lot of people seem to think, I find I don't really need to tweak it very much.

However, I don't use modulation very much, and I don't like chorus except as a very mild effect.

I basically use only the top row of knobs (LFO #1) and ignore the deeper level stuff (LFO #2). For me its easy to find excellent, usable sounds. Might be a lot harder if you're trying to copy the sound of a particular analog pedal. I was able to remove an Empress Tremolo and MXR Phase 100 from my board and replace it with the ModFactor. Now I have a tremolo, phaser, mild chorus and rotary all in one box. Plus the trem has tap tempo.

6. lifeinsong

lifeinsong Member

Plug it into the courtesy outlet on the back of the PP2. it's a brilliant piece of gear as is the TimeFactor...replaced all my other mod pedals. Far from sterile as some have suggested and Eventide has the best customer service out there. Well worth the money, especially when you consider the fact that Eventide is constantly looking for ways to improve it and those improvements are available to you through software updates on their website.

7. bapman

bapman Member

Hi,
    I actually try to use it for pre fx, before my preamp. (I use my Gforce for post preamp fx).
    Did someone try to use it like that?
    It will be great if it was able to replace my classic wha and control it by my expression pedal!
    Anyone???

8. frmorales52

frmorales52 Member

I so want to hear the rotary. Leslie is a sound I lust after and after reading the review in GP, I'm convinced I need it just for the rotary...

Dshoremusic likes this.
  9. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

:agree

I have had one for a couple of months now. I too am not a big chorus guy, and love all the features (so far) on this thing. Relatively small footprint when you think about all the pedals it replaces. Couldn't be happier.

10. BudLite

BudLite Supporting Member

Do you guys use the modfactor in the Amps effects loop or in front of the amp? Thanks

11. Dennis Rayburn

Dennis Rayburn Supporting Member

My main amp (Hayseed 30) doesn't have an effects loop so I use it out front.

12. BudLite

Based on some of the effects the modfactor has,... some like flange and chorus I have always put in the loop. The phase and wah effects I would always put between the guitar and amp. Any other thoughts/opinion on this pedal? Cheers.......

13. pdouds

pdouds Member

i have been pulling my hair out with this pedal. some of the effects are better pre, and some- in the loop. maybe I'll do what you do, and put the timefactor in the loop, and the mod in the front end.the tf doeas have the modulated delay, in case i want that sound on leads.that way the wah and tremolo would sound right.

14. iaresee

iaresee Member

I just got one last night and that was my first thought as well: pity I can use it in dual effect mode, with the left channel running one mono effect and the right channel running and another mono effect per-patch. Then I could use the left channel in front of the amp, right in the loop and make patches that were left-channel or right-channel only.

That would have been sweet.

I'm just drawing up a schematic for a little external box that takes a loop and switches it between two audio paths. So two ins, two outs and a loop. In one mode the loop is applied to in/out pair 1, in the other it's applied to in/out pair 2. Then I can stomp and switch where the TimeFactor is in my chain: in the loop or in front of the amp. When one path doesn't have the loop in use it's a pass through wire from in to out. I'm going to build it around IC relays so it's a simple switch plus relays for the ins/outs and and LED status switching.

15. pdouds

pdouds Member

i had a g-system for a while. that box was thought out way better than the mod, but the mod sounds dang good.

16. KRosser

KRosser Member

I love it; I replaced my road-worn Keeley/MM4 with it. I love tweakability, and this delivers there in spades, but it hangs pretty well as instant gratification goes as well....

Voodoo Lab says the PP2 will not power the unit unless you use the courtesy outlet on the back

17. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

Don't understand that. The eventide wants 1200ma. None of the pp2 outputs supplies that much current. Also, the eventide uses a different adapter than what comes with the pp2.

18. BudLite

Eventide does not support using a PP2, I called them...