Eventide pedals and a MIDI Controller

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by guitarrhinoceros, Feb 20, 2012.

1. guitarrhinoceros

guitarrhinoceros Senior Member

Has anyone just used the four Eventide pedals as the multi-fx units, while controlling presets with a MIDI controller? This seems like a great way to, especially if you just want a clean/dirty tone and the flexibility of choosing different sounds per unit. What do you all think?

2. guitarrhinoceros

3. kugelblitz

kugelblitz Member

Yes, I do. I use a Musicomlab EFXIII as a controller. Works great! Here's my board.

[​IMG]

4. guitarrhinoceros

Cool! So everything is controlled via MIDI, right? How is it working out? Do you have the flexibility of clicking a preset off? Can one of your settings account for two presets from different Eventide pedals?

5. guitarrhinoceros

Can you control channel switching with the Musicomlab pedal?

6. kugelblitz

kugelblitz Member

Yes, everything is controlled via midi presets. They are not actually run in any of the EFX's loops (this lets me run them in stereo if I need to, and allows for delay/reverb trails when an effect has been bypassed.).

I set presets on the EFX. Each preset will either activate a preset or bypass each of the Eventide boxes (actually, any number, so you could turn 3 on and 1 off, or 2 on and 2 off, etc) . So switching to another preset will turn on and select the appropriate patch on a box, while bypassing a box that was activated under the previously-used preset. I can still activate and deactivate the boxes manually after I've selected a preset, without having to select another preset. Functions like tap tempo and other features (like Hold on the Space) work normally.

A couple of limitations:

1. Since the Eventides can only be set to XMT or THRU functions, you cannot use one of the Eventides to globally set the tap tempo for the others. This is because whichever one you use will need to have MIDI set to XMT, which means it won't pass the MIDI singal from the controller through to the other Eventides (Tap tempo will work, but your presets won't). This is not a problem for me as I like each unit to have it's own tempo - you don't necessarily want your flanger to be at the same rate as your delay, etc), however there are 2 workarounds:
    a) If your MIDI controller supports tap tempo (the EFX doesn't), then you could just use that to control tempo, rather than one of the boxes.
    b) Insert a MIDI merger (around $50) between the output of the last box in the MIDI chain and the input of the first box in the chain (forming a loop). You can then set the last in the chain to XMT, and the tap tempo signal will merge with the input signal, allowing everything to work correctly.

2. The EFX has a single global MIDI channel for the expression pedal, which means you can only use it to control one Eventide unit. Other controllers may allow you to set the channel for the EXP pedal for each preset. This was a bit of a disappointment as it would have been good to have the expression pedal be a whammy-type pitch effect on the Pitchfactor, or control the rate of the rotary speaker on the Modfactor, depending on the preset chosen. As it is, it's not a huge issue as I don't use the expression pedal much. I've set it to control the pitchfactor as I find the whammy effect most useful, but it's not too difficult to change the control (it's just a matter of changing the channel in the global settings).

3. Some people have complained of some latency (small, maybe 100-200ms) in switching with EFX and Eventide pedals. I haven't noticed this. I have noticed a delay in the preset name changing, but the actual sound comes through pretty quickly. Something to keep in mind, as I'm not sure if there may be some variance between EFX units. One way of overcoming this would be to put each eventide unit in a loop of the EFX, although this would also remove delay trais.

The above limitations are really with the EFX, not with the MIDI system in general, however overall the EFX was the best unit I could find for this application, because it has 8 loops, splittable in 2 sections, with full MIDI control, and above all, a very small footprint that doesn't take up too much board space. Some of the other controllers may have been slightly better (possibly the miltiple EXP thing may have been workable), but the real estate was more valuable so I went with the EFX in the end, and am still happy with it.

7. guitarrhinoceros

8. Pointy Headstock

Pointy Headstock Member

Kugelblitz- where did you find the right angle MIDI cables for your Eventides?

9. theroan

theroan Member

I am doing something similar. I can't do tap. Luckily with the Space you can save a preset to be on or off where as with the Timeline its on with the mix at zero for settings that I don't need it.

[​IMG]

10. guitarrhinoceros

Awesome setup, Theoran. I am new to MIDI, so I may just shoot some questions your way in the near future! Great video and rig!

11. theroan

theroan Member

Thanks man. Ya man shoot me a message any time if you have questions.