Eventide question

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by 70s Rocker, May 6, 2015.

1. 70s Rocker

70s Rocker Overdriven Member Silver Supporting Member

I don't want to build a multi-bump thread...

I've listened to a number of demos and only have a few questions.

The studio stuff sounds awesome - how usable is it live?
    (I don't want to be tweaking with a smartphone or computer.)

Someone had a 'standard' H9 for sale in the emporium. What's that?
    On line I only found Core, Harmonizer, and Max.

I take it all those are the same unit only with more capacity - effects?

What I don't want is for every song to sound the same.

2. OliveBridge

OliveBridge Member

Strymon user, but I'm not a hater of the other like so many here. Eventide is extremely versaitile, and since there are presets, you can dial in sounds you want before hand.

Usability for both eventides and strymons are better with a Midi control (i don't use one myself though, can't justify the cost for me).

What I tend to do is get a setting as close to the sound I need as possible and adjust only the tempo, mix and repeats live as needed for the venue.

2nd question. They are all the same unit. nothing is different besides the fact some ship with algorithms already in them.
    Standard would most likely be the core version. Harmonizer comes with a few algorithms already prepurchased, and the max has all the algorithms available.

Someone will soon come in and confirm this or correct me. :)

3. joshofsorts

joshofsorts Supporting Member

All the parameters on the H9 are tweakable via the pedal in live setting, but many users find the pedal interface not ideal to tweak on the fly. It is really best to pick & tweak your presets beforehand in the app (iOS or computer app) so then any tweaking live will be minor and easily enough done on the unit. The app is intuitive for creating presets in as it gives you a visual representation of all the tweakable parameters. You can create as many presets on the app as you want, and then download your favorite to the pedal (up to 99 at a time on the pedal).

The "Standard" would be the same as the "Harmonizer", which has a sampling of different algorithms across the different types (roughly a dozen) and a coupon for any algorithm of your choice (if bought new). The "Core" comes with one algorithm, and the coupon for a second algorithm. The "MAX" has all the algorithms present and future. If you want to dip your toe in, the Standard/Harmonizer is the way to go. The Core is really only useful if you are a) only expecting to buy a couple of algorithms and know what you want or b) have a MAX H9 already and want to use the algorithms on two pedals instead of one.

I bought a standard, but quickly realized I was going to spend more money to buy all the algorithms I wanted (so many good ones!) than it would cost sell the standard and buy a used MAX. I got the MAX and am set.

4. 70s Rocker

Thanks - that answers everything if the mods want to lock this before it goes to 40 pages ....

5. Sparkfriction

Sparkfriction Member

Time Factor offers everything you need for using live.

TAP, Presets... also, you can use a expression pedal and a external switch for having TAP and Preset Switch at once...

yeah and Midi.

6. mousepunk

mousepunk Member

The worst thing in H9 and Factors using live is that you can list presets only in one direction - up or down. I use my H9 with an aux switch, makes it using live much easier.

7. Sparkfriction

Sparkfriction Member

the Factor pedal can use an extra external aux switch IIRC you can go up and down on the presets with this switch.

8. cbm

cbm Silver Supporting Member

If you tap the big knob on an H9, the preset list goes the other direction.

9. mousepunk

mousepunk Member

i know but i couldn't get used to do that. Not easy to hit that knob by the foot plus you never remember what direction is chosen at particular moment.

10. tremolo3

tremolo3 Member

Can't imagine using an H9 without a MIDI controller in a live situation.

11. afterosmosis

afterosmosis Member

I prefer the Factor units over the H9, just because you have real-time access to all the controls.

12. slap_back05

slap_back05 Supporting Member

The external nature of control and editing has completely scared me away from ever grabbing an H9. Love my Timefactor though.

13. cbm

Yeah, I ended up using a MIDI controller to do preset selection. I liked that switch for Tap, anyway.

14. cbm

You can do everything from the pedal, fwiw. No external device needed. It's not even all that hard.

15. slap_back05

Everything I've seen, read, and heard about it indicates that it is not practical as a live tool.

16. afterosmosis

afterosmosis Member

It's not. It is possible to assign various parameters to the X/Y/Z buttons and tweak them, but your audience will quickly grow tired of you bending over to click, click, scroll, click, click, scroll between songs. If you want to tweak an H9 live, it would behoove you to have an iOS device on stage.

17. 70s Rocker

Won't it then look like you're checking texts between songs???

18. afterosmosis

afterosmosis Member

If you leave the app up you'd only need a second to tweak a knob or two on the screen. So, maybe, but it'd be quicker than reconfiguring which parameters are assigned to the X/Y/Z buttons.

19. slap_back05

So it's usable live if I also have an iPad... so not usable live then.

And people thought Strymon requiring third party MIDI controllers was expensive...

20. cbm

I have a TimeFactor and a pair of H9s, and don't find the H9 too bad to deal with. If you are used to tweaking your TimeFactor in a major way during songs, then maybe the H9 is not for you. In practice though, at least for me, I don't find the limitation of the XYZ controls to be bad. When I want to do a quick tweak to something on a delay it's usually Mix or feedback, which are mapped in all the factory presets.

H9s are on an awful lot of pro pedalboards. Totally usable live, for a lot of people