Eventide Rose - new delay pedal

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Rai, Jan 18, 2019.

1. pcs9527

pcs9527 Member

Yes, that should be correct.

celticelk likes this.
  2. celticelk

celticelk Member

Thanks. That is also what I’d prefer for this application, in case that wasn’t already obvious.

3. timsternfeld

timsternfeld Member

Sorry if I was unclear; I've been thinking about this architecture in terms of write and a read "heads" for so long, and explaining it that way to everyone who comes in contact with Rose, that I sometimes forget that it isn't an immediately obvious analogy to everyone. This is exactly what it does.

The Depth knob isn't currently quantized to specific intervals in the square wave mode (not to say it couldn't be...), but it's pretty tunable by ear.

4. celticelk

celticelk Member

I don’t necessarily need it to be quantized, though I wouldn’t turn that down! If the maximum Range value was equal to an octave, consistent across whatever delay time was currently in use, that would be a big running start. My main goal is for that interval to be quickly-accessible in on-the-fly experimentation without having to resort to presets, if possible. (Although if a given Depth setting produces a musically-consistent value for any arbitrary Time setting, I could probably live with the preset solution. Having to retune the modulation depth every time I wanted a new delay time would be a PITA, though.)

Thanks for geeking out with us about the Rose, Tim! I think that overall this is a pretty cool implementation of the idea, and I’m looking forward to putting one through its paces.

5. celticelk

celticelk Member

I just realized: if the modulation is actually adjusting the *sampling rate*, then the effect should be musically consistent no matter what the delay time setting is. Yes?

pangea2003 and corbetta like this.
  6. corbetta

corbetta Member

7. corbetta

corbetta Member

@timsternfeld If the teams is considering employing quantization for the modulation, PLEASE make that a user-selectable option, and PLEASE don’t limit that to 12tet intervals, but include also whole number ratios (good for polyrhythms as well as just intonation)...

I guess a user-editable quantization option (maybe through an editor?) would be best-of-both-worlds stuff...

celticelk likes this.
  8. timsternfeld

timsternfeld Member

I'm not really promising anything relative to quantization; there are definitely plenty of places where you don't want to quantize, and it would actually be difficult TO quantize in some circumstances. I'll add that Eventide as a whole has a long tradition of adding knob controls/features WITHOUT messing with anyone's current presets/knobs, so we would try to avoid forcing that kind of change in an update. Right now we're focusing on clearing some bugs our beta testers have found, and shipping the thing mostly as it is; we'll see where we go after that based on what users ask for.

9. timsternfeld

timsternfeld Member

For square wave, yes, the effect is consistent no matter the delay time (since it just switches between two sample rates at a fixed ratio). For the other wave forms, we've done some tricky things to try to get the knobs to feel predictable, but there's a fundamental interaction between the delay time, the modulation, and the perceived pitch shift.

pangea2003, Javiceres, earwax and 2 others like this.
  10. celticelk

celticelk Member

@timsternfeld A thought I just had: there's an option on the H9 to use a single aux switch with an expression pedal. Could that be an additional setting for the Rose as well? I can easily see a situation where you'd want access to, for example, both Infinite Hold and Tap Tempo, but also want to use a pedal for on-the-fly Feedback adjustment.

11. Javiceres

Javiceres Member

Bear in mind that for a non DSP based efffect like this, Stereo would mean almost double the price. Think of this pedal as a sophisticated Diamond Memory Lane Jr, 'cause that's +/- what it is. Or a sophisticated EHX 16 Second Digital Delay (the ole one working with VSR methods), or a refined and expanded Lex PCM 42 or Prime Time in a pedal. Then mono doesn't seem that strange, right?

David Torn and Dani Lanois all the way

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
  12. Javiceres

Javiceres Member

Please keep it like that!!!

Is there any grit, compression or saturation obtainable by cranking the feedback?
    I'm considering seriously this one as the 3rd Eventide pedal in my board.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
  13. Javiceres

Javiceres Member

Me, David Torn, Dani Lanois, Vernon Reid, Nels Cline, Bill Frisell, Robert Fripp, Brian Eno, Radio Head fans, the John Frusciantes and Omar Rodriguez Lopezs of this world, lots of looper heads that cant afford an expanded old Lexicon PCM 42 oR paying the 1000$ trend pricetag for an old EHX 16 Second Delay or Lexicon Prime Time... see? There's an avid market there that has been starving for decades to have what nobody has produced in pedal format (and almost nobody in any other format) for decades now.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
  14. timsternfeld

timsternfeld Member

Yep, there's a soft sat after the feedback gets mixed in that gets progressively dirtier if you hit it harder on the input or the feedback.

15. earwax

earwax Supporting Member

@timsternfeld are there any more comprehensive demos we can look forward to in the nearish future?

celticelk likes this.
  16. 5cr33nager

5cr33nager Member

17. shoepedals

shoepedals Vendor

NAMM is like that. The demo guys usually have a few set routines they do and do it over and over. It's just like a setlist at a show, but of different "sounds" the manufacturers want to showcase. Of course fun stuff happens when the cameras aren't rolling and people start to mess around.

18. SG1

SG1 Member

Why does it use so much power ? 4.5 watts? It's going to hard to find a power adaptor to work with that. I have room on my pedalboard for a Rose, but I don't have the extra space needed for it's wall wart.

19. 4b454e

4b454e Member

Hydroponics? :dunno

Last edited: Feb 2, 2019
  20. Gone Fission

Gone Fission Member

A little over .4 amps? Some digital stuff is lower, sure (definitely not the HX Stomp), but that’s probably really good for a DDL built the old way.

Tomo El Gato and pangea2003 like this.