Eventide Space, worth it?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jordiesaenz, Feb 19, 2012.

1. jordiesaenz

jordiesaenz Member

I do alt rock, P&W, postrock, and blues/jazz. I'm using a Cathedral, which I like, but more options wouls be nice. How digital does the Space sound?

2. jb4674

jb4674 Member

Answer to your tittle: YES

the Space is a digital pedal and there are quite a lot of folks who are not too fond of the digital compression or the sound the pedal has. It might be easier to take a look at crxshdxmmy's videos and decide for yourself. I personally like the pedal and what it has to offer because you're not constrained to 1 or 2 presets.

http://www.youtube.com/user/crxshdxmmy

I hope this helps.

3. crxshdxmmy

crxshdxmmy Supporting Member

Check the playlists on the lower right. 30 Space videos there.

4. Footbutt

Footbutt Supporting Member

well, i was able to use my Timeline this weekend at church... and holy cow, it sounded amazing with my Space.

the "Echoplex" setting (bank 90-something on the Timeline) matched with my HUGEVERB setting on my Space sounded so unbelievably gorgeous.

and using the Hotswitch to adjust the verb sizes is so key to locking down my sound and not letting the delay/reverb take off.

5. stratguy23

stratguy23 Member

I would say the Space is worth it. I am using it in my current band. I am not really using it to its full potential in this band, but it is great, it can do a lot of different nice verb sounds.

6. 52ftbuddha

52ftbuddha Member

No,

I have never used one or played one so my answer trumps all these others.

How can you possibly get a decent reverb sound out of such a small box.

The box needs to be bigger.

What is this thing a TARDIS?

rob

7. 10strings

10strings Member

No, I preferred my WET by a long shot.

8. crxshdxmmy

crxshdxmmy Supporting Member

All this "WET vs. SPACE" nonsense needs to stop. Yes, they're both reverb pedals... but they're not even aimed at the same user base and the appeal is completely different.

1. If you want unparalleled reverb control in a stompbox with plenty of presets... it's worth it.
    2. There are simpler options out there if you don't want/need that kind of flexability.

9. powermatt99

powermatt99 Member

Yeah. The Space is amazing. I play a lot of P&W. My "sound" is somewhat post-rock/ambient inspired. I do a lot of experimental and ambient playing on my own and the Space is the first pedal I actually found inspiring. There are so many possibilities. I am still using the factory presets, tweaked for my needs. Its a digital pedal but I don't think it's really an issue. If you're getting the Space for a gentle slap-back spring reverb, you're barking up the wrong proverbial tree.

10. lux_interior

lux_interior Member

...I really wonder why people look at just a bunch of answers where there are hundreds in previous threads. It's a pedal that has been discussed a lot, with strengths and weaknesses, and one that you definitely have to do your homework and be 100% sure that you are willing to explore it in depth and invest time in it before you spend that amount of money. One thing is certain: if you are looking for a top quality reverb in a stompbox, you don't need to buy a reverb workstation to find it since there are excellent, cheaper and simpler alternatives.

11. Footbutt

Footbutt Supporting Member

:agree

12. tibbon

tibbon Member

It isn't the fastest or easiest reverb pedal to use. It has weaknesses (patch switching time I think it one of the biggest, and I wish that with the USB it could be used as a plugin in my DAW), but if you've got some time to dig into it, its rather worth it.

I finally got around to making my own patches a few nights ago and I'm really digging it now. If you're just looking for shorter, simple reverbs, go with the WET or something else, but if you need huge and complex shimmering towers of clouds and reverbs, then this it the pedal to get. For anything deeper you need a Lexicon or Eventide rack.

13. teleclem

teleclem Member

For me, it is.

The sounds are great. I dig the tweaking possibilities, the number of presets, midi, hot-switch, the fact that it's ready for updates, etc.

It's become my favorite pedal on my board, even more so than my Timeline. The creative possibilities are seemingly endless. I can really get lost in unique/inspiring soundscapes with this thing.

Of course, it isn't perfect. It's not going to work out great for all (you could say the same about any pedal, really). Some people just need a simple reverb like a Malekko Spring Chicken and this would be overkill. Some have an aversion to tweaking. And some just can't stand the fact that a pedal is digital.

You could wait for a sale. I think some stores still have some active Valentines coupons. I got mine new a few months ago from MF in the lower 400s, iirc.

14. tibbon

tibbon Member

I should note that while the Space feels expansive in its options for a pedal, it feels incredibly limited and clunky compared to a rack unit. Even an older one like the Lexicon MPX-1 had a lot more programming options and still sounded fantastic. Not that this is any reason to not use it (as its awesome), but just to keep things in perspective they did have to compromise a lot on the UI and routing capabilities to get it in a pedal. I wish it had a better patch editor for the Mac.

15. lux_interior

lux_interior Member

...but if it didn't provide some sort of summary of the routings of a rack unit, it wouldn't really be a stompbox, and it wouldn't appeal to more traditional users as well. As for its programming options, in my opinion a very considerable number of them is still there, and given in a nice interface that invites you to go deeper (although the pedal doesn't completely rule out enjoyment in case you don't).

What is the patch editor for Mac? Do you mean the Librarian? That's the same with Windows if I am not mistaken, and only for backup purposes (it doesn't allow parameter tweaking).

16. CaptainAwesome

CaptainAwesome Supporting Member

I'm coming up on 1yr with the Space on my board. In that time, I've used 8-10 overdrives, 4 delays, 4 Fuzz pedals, 2 Wahs, 3 compressors, and 2 multi-effect units (probably more that I'm forgetting).

So, for a board that has seen 25-30 pedals come and go in the past year, any pedal that can stay for a full year is well worth it if you ask me.

17. tibbon

tibbon Member

Yea, that's the thing, its just a librarian, and not a patch editor. I'd much prefer a real patch editor that I can use on-screen. Yet, there isn't one.

18. alexhate

alexhate Member

has anyone messed with the recent update? I managed to download it and perform the update but wont be able to play around with it till tonight.

Does the new freeze function seem cool?

19. ChaseTMP

ChaseTMP Member

I think it is worth it, if you're into expansive reverbs and have an aversion to (like me) rack units. While I loved my BSR and Wet (with Brian's high-mix mod), I couldn't get the Quadraverb-esque trails with either. I kept the Wet, as I get some fantastic sounds combining it with some of the Space's settings, most notably; it's shimmer.

To me, if you're using the Space as I feel it's strongsuit(s) is/are; to get otherwordly and new reverbs (at moderately high mix levels), the conversion issues are negligible. I can understand the conversion complaints if someone is mostly using subtle settings of spring, hall and plate, but those needs could be better served by smaller and less expensive units. If you're concerned about conversion's effects on your tone, using the Space's: reverse, shimmer, Blackhole etc., then IMO, you may have the wrong expectations of the unit.

20. rburkard

rburkard Gold Supporting Member

If you like to add reverb to your guitar amp, it is.
    Rene