Eventide Timefactor Delay mini-review

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by jzucker, Apr 11, 2008.

1. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

OK, so I hated it at first. As with all these things, the factory presets are crap. Also, it has some annoying niggles:
    • inability to scroll the banks in both directions - you have to go through all 10 banks to get back to the beginning. (An external pedal can solve this)
    • Extremely sensitive controls. Hard to get to a specific delay setting. Trying to dial in my typical 385ms for example is annoyingly difficult.
    • Tape emulation is not very good. Ironic because I had heard such good things about this particular feature. The Axefx echoplex is *MUCH* better.
    • [UPDATE] Unit is being returned. Periodically makes digital noise squawks
    However, after playing around with the unit for several days I have really grown to love it. A couple of the strong points:
    • Vintage Delay - This is a bit reduced delay to simulate early delay units. I found that by dialing this back to 12 bits, I was able to get very close to the thick and rich tones of my '70s MXR rack mount Digital Delay. This has always been my favorite sounding delay and chorud unit. Big plus with the timefactor is the ability to get modulation and delay together (unlike the MXR)
    • ModDelay - Gorgeous thick and juciy delay chorus combinations though I think I like the Vintage Delay version better
    So, I've only scratched the surface with this unit and have already found several really great sounds. Glad I stuck with it.

Here are a couple really sloppy clips I made with the moddelay setting. I will redo these with better playing and using the vintage delay version which sounds better IMO.

http://www.sheetsofsound.net/demos/timefactor1.mp3
    http://www.sheetsofsound.net/demos/timefactor2.mp3

2. alex_toney

alex_toney Member

The clips may have been a little sloppy, but great playing! Thanks for making demo clips with good playing... there are so many where the playing is pretty brutal and it makes it hard to really hear the quality of a pedal!

3. overlookfran

overlookfran Member

this pedal is tits. i own and love it. wish i could name presets tho. :(

4. jzucker

Wait 'til you hear them re-done with the 2.x beta update and the vintagedelay/mod settings. Just gorgeous.

5. donbarzini

donbarzini Member

Props to Mike Fuller for using "Layla" to demonstrate his TTE. I now always play that when I am trying to cop that tape echo vibe as well :)

6. jzucker

How about props to EC ? ;)

7. JeffreyC

JeffreyC Member

But wasn't that particular piece of music on piano in the original?
    Anyway, great piece of music. Anyone have the tab for it on guitar?

8. jzucker

There are only 3 chords. C (maj7) F and Bb7 (#11)

9. donbarzini

donbarzini Member

No, props to Fuller for doing it to demonstrate the tone of his TTE.

10. jzucker

It's not even that good of a echoplex demo. I'd rather give the props to the original players. ;)

11. donbarzini

donbarzini Member

How about doing a tape echo demo with the Axe-Fx, can that get pretty close? Wear shorts though.

12. jimfog

jimfog Senior Member

Jim Gordon (yes, the drummer) wrote the piano outro to Layla.

13. jzucker

haha! Yes, I will do that. I need to upgrade to version 5 of the firmware which has an incredible implementation of an echoplex. I'll see if I can get to that this weekend.

14. Roobin

Roobin Member

You can edit them to a resolution of 1ms. After adjusting Dly A Time for example, press the right footswitch then turn the Encoder. You can do the same thing with tap tempo (eg 119BPM -> 120BPM).

15. jzucker

Thanks. I figured there was a way to do that.

16. jzucker

[UPDATE] Unit is being returned. Periodically makes digital noise squawks

17. Roobin

Roobin Member

As in on every mode malfunctioning type squawks? Or some weird bit setting?

18. jzucker

Good question? Both patches that were squawking happened to be vintage delay patches at 12 bits. I was hearing this morning on one patch and then tonight I was A/B'ing the timefactor and the t-rex replex for a "lead" delay of 400ms. The tape delay on the timefactor did not sound good so on a whim I tried the vintage delay at 12 bits since I liked it so much in the other patch and there was that squawk again. Packed up and sending back on monday.

The T-Rex sounds much less digital than the timefactor. No comparison. Too bad it doesn't have modulation.

19. Porkchop Xpress

Porkchop Xpress Member

20. Angle Loss

Angle Loss Supporting Member

There you go. There is a lot of digital noise in the vintage delay. It does that because of the low bit rate settings on the xnob. None of the other delay types will do that. Just so that you know, that is one of the things being most complained about, and will probably change on a future upgrade. If you haven't switched to the latest beta 2.04 or whatever, do that first as it helps a little bit (no pun intended :banana ). Apparently they simulated the bit rate reduction of the early digital delays, but did not simulate all the other stuff the early delays did to filter that stuff out. You can read about it on the eventide forums.