Eventide TimeFactor midi question

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by EdRaket, Mar 30, 2015.

1. EdRaket

EdRaket Member

I have a question which is probably easy to answer, but which I can not solve.
    I want to select a certain preset on my TimeFactor, based on a midi program change which it receives. I do not know how.
    I use a GigRig G2. When I select a certain preset on the G2, a midi program change signal is send to the TimeFactor and the TimeFactor switches to a certain preset on the TimeFactor. However, I want the TimeFactor to switch to another TF preset. How can I get this done? How can I determine that if the TF receives program change 4, it has to select preset 2:1?
    Thanks for your help!
    Ed

2. Matticus

Matticus Member

Are they talking to each other at all? I'd first want to make sure that they were talking through the same channel (which is channel 1 for the G2, right?).

Timefactor's MIDI options are under MIDI in the menu. RCV CH will let you choose a specific channel.

Is that helpful or have you already done that and something else is still not functioning correctly or as expected?

3. RockDebris

RockDebris Member

Really more of a GigRig G2 question, might want to change the title to get a few owners of it.

Basically, you have to have the preset in the GigRig send out a different program change event to the TimeFactor on the channel that the TimeFactor is listening to. Not knowing the GigRig myself, I can't tell you exactly how to do that.

Side Note: Some MIDI effects units used to have an onboard MIDI Mapping utility, you may have seen that in another device, but those seem rare now, probably because foot controllers are much more powerful than they used to be (My old Quadraverb had it's own MIDI Map utility).

4. Pat Healy

Pat Healy Member

You need to create a MIDI program receive map - instructions on page 48 of the TF manual: https://www.eventide.com/~/media/Files/Audio Support/TimeFactor/Everyone/141131.ashx

If you want, you can follow RockDebris' suggestion and figure out how to get your GigRig to send the right PC number...but the MIDI program receive map function in the TimeFactor will allow you to relate any program change number from the GigRig to any preset number in the TF.

5. RockDebris

RockDebris Member

There you go. I didn't really know if the Eventide had an internal MIDI Map utility, I assumed wrongly. Now I looked in my H9 and it has it too.

One caveat is that these mapping utilities can start to get messy down the road, so if you have a powerful foot controller, start there. They are good to have though for solving switching problems that you can't solve another way.

6. Pat Healy

Pat Healy Member

That's true. If you're going to use mapping, it's good to have some sort of rhyme or reason to your preset numbers in the controller and in the effects units...like preset 1 in the controller always calls effects of a certain type, or preset numbers 1-10 in the effects unit, or something like that. Helps keep things from getting too chaotic.

7. RockDebris

RockDebris Member

Right. When you look at what a powerful foot controller is, it's mainly a multi-channel mapping utility. Put all the MIDI devices on their own channels and create presets in the foot controller to call out to whatever preset in each fx unit. If you start mixing which unit has which mapping being done ... it's a pain down the road.

I came from the simple MIDI controllers in the early 90's that didn't do anything but call out it's single program change value on 1 MIDI channel (or OMNI). So, foot controller on preset 2 and every device responded by loading their preset for patch 2. That required doing the mapping and preset management in each individual unit, which either meant using the mapping utility of each unit or worse, copying and storing multiple version of the same preset over and over. I don't wish that on anyone. Using a powerful enough foot controller is where it is at, I'll never be going back. Nice to have options though. Eventide's have mapping, that's good to know. Can help if you find yourself painted into a corner somehow.

8. Pat Healy

Pat Healy Member

You and me both. Now my Liquid Foot (and a dozen or more other controllers on the market) will do ANYTHING. The limit is my imagination, not the capabilities of the controller. Good times. Glad I'm not a "guitar straight into amp" guy. I'd be missing all the fun :D

9. EdRaket

EdRaket Member

Thanks for all replies.
    First, the G2 is sending out a midi Program Change and the TimeFactor is receiving the midi change. They are both on channel 1. so that's fine.
    From what I read above, I need to use the mapping table in the TimeFactor to assign a specific TF Preset to the signal coming in.
    I was hoping that I could just save the preset on the TimeFactor and it would automatically save it with the midi preset change last received. Apparently not. I will go and try work with the mapping table in the TimeFactor and let you know.

I do not want to address this issue on the side of the G2. I have 3 midi pedals attached to the G2. My idea is that I select a preset on the G2, all 3 pedals receive the same midi preset number on channel 1 and each pedals reacts with a change to a specific preset on that pedal.

Thanks for the suggestions, I will let you know the results later.

10. Pat Healy

Pat Healy Member

Any particular reason why you want all your MIDI pedals on the same MIDI channel? That's a very unusual practice, and it would be a MUCH better solution to have your pedals on separate MIDI channels. With all of them on the same channel, you'll have to create program receive maps for all three pedals, for every single PC change you send from your GigRig. That's three program receive maps for every single preset. Lots of work, and very difficult to keep track of. If you assign the pedals to MIDI channels 1, 2, and 3 for instance, you can have the GigRig call up any preset you want, on any pedal, no mapping required.

11. Matticus

Matticus Member

Agreed.

12. EdRaket

EdRaket Member

Ok, I did some testing and solved my problem. I found that I have to enter the Systems Menu, go to MIDI, go to RCV MAP. Here I can link midi program changes with presets on the TimeFactor. So problem solved, thanks for the help.
    Now regarding the midi channel, I don't think I will use more than one of my midi pedals simultaneously in a single preset. So no issue if they are all on channel 1. But if I would put them on separate midi channels, I think I would still need a RCV MAP for each preset for each pedal.

13. Squatch57

Squatch57 Member

Yeah, thanks for that info Pat!
    With the Eventide internal mapping, I will be able to use my ancient Yamaha MFC-1
    It would've worked with just the Timefactor anyway, but I plan on adding a Pitchfactor.
    The old Yamaha only transmits on midi channel 1 which would make it a hassle without mapping
    The other problem is isolating the CC info, but I think I can work around it