• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Eventide Timefactor noise?

funkycaveman

Hi all! This is my first post here! Woo Hoo! I have searched for timefactor info and this is where I always read the most useful comments. I finally got one and, mostly, I am very happy with it. I wasn't expecting such cool modulation along with the delays!

I am wondering if anyone else is experiencing a noise floor issue with this pedal. I have a newer one with the shielding so I believe it's a different issue. If I have the pedal in relay bypass and engage it, there is a noticeable increase in the noise floor. The pedal doesn't seem to be adding anything but boosting what is already there. It is easy to hear if the pedal is bypassed and I switch between DSP, relay, and DSP+DLY modes. The latter sounds the loudest with DSP really close behind. In relay bypass, the noise floor is at the same level as without the pedal in the chain and doesn't become noticeable until the pedal is engaged. It doesn't seem to be related to mix level or delay mode.

If anyone could confirm that their's also does this or has any info. it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Teahead

Quite a few users reported hearing "hiss" in the many Timefactor pages I read before purchasing one. Anything from "barely noticeable" to "unsatisfactory levels" depending on the user. There was mention of it's relationship to the bypass setting too, although not consistent, some guys got more noise with relay, some with DSP.

One thing I will say, I shot an email to Eventide today, asking a few questions while still not yet an actual customer. Their response was swift and their assitance was flawless. If you haven't already done so, drop them a line and see what they have to say.

Siddhartha

I have one of the latest versions and I have absolutely 0 noise. The Eventide customer service is amazing, they really do take care of their customers.

funkycaveman

Hi. Thanks for the replies. If you turn your amp up (you can leave the guitar volume off) so that the amp's normal noise floor is audible and then switch bypass mode from DSP to relay and back you can not hear the increased noise floor in DSP mode?

BTW, Eventide's customer support is awesome and they have answered many questions. I am just trying to find out if other users are hearing the same thing.

thisfire

I have an older version with the new shielding installed and I have absolutely no hiss. You might want to make sure that you're not in tape echo mode with the Xknob turned up...it adds tape hiss to make the delay more realistic. Other than that (and maybe a few other settings that have hiss added to make the sound more realistic), I have no unwanted hiss coming from mine.

funkycaveman

I went into tape echo mode and turned the xknob and that is definitely not the hiss I am hearing.

It sounds like I have a boost pedal active when I switch the TF on when the amp is at loud volumes.

Teahead

Does it reduce the hiss having a buffered or active pedal between guitar and timefactor? I read something about that earlier, could be worth trying if you haven't already?

funkycaveman

Thanks for all the feedback! I am running buffered pedals in front of the timefactor. The levels are set properly for guitar and amp.

To those who have 0 noise. . . have you turned your amp up and switched between DSP and Relay modes while the pedal is in bypass? You can't hear a boost to the hiss/noise floor of your setups?

starfish

Zero noise here. I have one from the first batch and was possibly the first person here with the shielding upgrade. I would suspect something else in your signal chain may be causing the issue. But if not, like others have said, Eventide has fantastic service. :)

funkycaveman

Also, the noise floor boost is the same if I have buffered pedals before the TF or if I just run guitar into TF into amp.

I have tried guitars with both single coils and humbuckers into tube amps and into a POD. All scenarios produced the same results.

Has anyone tried the test I suggested above?

Thanks again.

The Pup

No Complexity Without Value
My first one (S/N 118) had noise issues...my new one (S/N 746) does not.

Teahead

Mine should arrive Monday, it better, else there'll be trouble! :drool

Rest assured, I will check for any and all noise when it does. My pedalbooard and amp are silent, in terms of hiss and noise, even at full stage volumes. I do not want to sacrifice that, even for the Timefactor.

BTW, are folks successfully using the Ernie Ball Jr. 25k pedal for expression with their Timefactor? I read on their site that it should be a 20k pedal, but prefer the EB style over the Boss, L6 and the rest, so if it works I'll pick one up. Thanks.

Atdi2000

I have one from the new batch and it definately has some added noise. The easiest way to tell if they are noisey is to put it in you effects chain and leave the power adapter unplugged. It passes sound with out power so it sounds like it's not even in the chain. Then I plug the power in and it adds a very noticeable hiss to the mix. This is all done running into the front of my amp. I'm going to try it in a loop and see if it's any different.

Teahead

Also, the noise floor boost is the same if I have buffered pedals before the TF or if I just run guitar into TF into amp.

I have tried guitars with both single coils and humbuckers into tube amps and into a POD. All scenarios produced the same results.

Has anyone tried the test I suggested above?

Thanks again.
Funkycaveman, I tried my brand new shielded Timefactor in the scenarios you described and there is definitely some added noise. I wouldn't call it unbearable, or even approaching that, but it's certainly there and the pedal is definitely not silent in bypass.

In my rig, where there was zero noise to begin with, I can live with it. If I had any existing noise added to the Timefactor's "hiss" I could imagine it becoming a problem.

teefus

i have a timefactor from the first run and have not had the shielding installed. i have gig this saturday that i wanted to use it for and will probably send it back for shielding after the 1st of the year. as it stands right now i don't have any noise issues. i have used it on front of my valvetech amps with and without a buffer and have not heard the noise problems even at stage volume.

funkycaveman

Thanks for the post Teahead! I agree that the "hiss" isn't unbearable. It is only noticeable for me at high volumes. Since I like to run an AC30 at high volumes (love how those amps open up!), I usually have a noise floor that I need to keep in check so the extra added by the TF (even thoughsmall) is kind of a problem.

The method posted by aaland_brian is a great test too (and easier than switching bypass modes). By unplugging the unit, the noise disappears.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do. I really like the pedal but I'm not sure I want to deal with the noise (especially for a $400 pedal!). It's good to know I'm not the only one having this problem!

Teahead

A little update, I had tried the unplugging thing with the Timefactor in front of my AC30 and the amp cranked about two thirds into an Airbrake when I posted above. This afternoon I switched the bypass to relay and I have to say the TF adds zero noise when bypassed, my rig is silent.

The noise floor does return when the pedal is activated, but it's minimal and not troubling me at all. I have some Sylvania valves in my AC30 and they are unbelievably quiet, until I get to the last 15% of the Normal Channel's volume control the amp doesn't have hiss. When it does come on it's minimal and pales in comparison to the roar of an open E chord!

Thanks for the post Teahead! I agree that the "hiss" isn't unbearable. It is only noticeable for me at high volumes. Since I like to run an AC30 at high volumes (love how those amps open up!), I usually have a noise floor that I need to keep in check so the extra added by the TF (even thoughsmall) is kind of a problem.

The method posted by aaland_brian is a great test to (and easier than switching bypass modes). By unplugging the unit, the noise disappears.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do. I really like the pedal but I'm not sure I want to deal with the noise (especially for a $400 pedal!). It's good to know I'm not the only one having this problem!

Teahead

One further update. I tried the Timefactor with the band last night, RMC, Strobo, Octron, Vibe, Fuzz, EQ and Timefactor into a cranked AC30. I have to say there was zero noise from it, relatively speaking.

The bypass was relay and even when activated I didn't notice any hiss whatsoever. I know there is some, because I could isolate it at home, but at band volumes the Timefactor was as quiet as a mouse. My fellow guitar player has a Boss RE-20 Space Echo delay and he gets some background hiss, the TF's noise wasn't even slighly audible beside it.

The method posted by aaland_brian is a great test too (and easier than switching bypass modes). By unplugging the unit, the noise disappears.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom