Eventide Timefactor Noisy?!?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by jzucker, Apr 22, 2008.

1. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

Anyone else experiencing severe hiss? Maybe it's just the vintage delay patch. Didn't have a chance to test the other patches. Just noticed this morning at 6am as there was no other noise going on to mask it. I couldn't believe the diff between bypass and engaged. <sigh>...

I want to love this thing but...

2. This is the Edg

This is the Edg Member

Not any more noise than I get from my 2290. It seems to be quiter in the effects loop vs. before the amp/pre-amp. The original units have some shielding issues which they fixed. Is yours brand new?

This is the Edge

3. jzucker

yeah, mine is brand new. It seems to me that it's worse in the effect loop than in front of the amp.

4. Mondoslug

Mondoslug Supporting Member

I wouldn't think that should be....maybe you got the Kleinulator pegged?

5. suncrimson

suncrimson Member

No noise at all.
    Are you using the original power supply?

6. jzucker

yep.

7. lv

lv Supporting Member

Yes, I returned the first one due to noise. At some point, Eventide added shielding to the units and will still add to yours for free if it is the old version. I tried the new version and it was much better, but still not dead quiet.

I recently tried the Damage Control Glass Nexus - you may want to try it out, I actually prefer the delays to the Timefactor and Nova, and it is also quieter than both. I have a Timeline (dedicated more to delays than the GN) on the way that I will do some clips of.

8. andybaylor

andybaylor Supporting Member

It's the vintage patch. Switch it to a regular ducked delay and the noise will disappear. You can also adjust the amount of noise in the vintage patch.

Let the Love flow...cause they rock.

9. jzucker

Thanks!!!! How do you adjust the noise? Is it just in the amount of bits you've assigned? Cuz I thought the other controls were for the mod?

10. Pat Healy

Pat Healy Member

Mine is dead quiet on the Vintage effect. I think the X Knob is the one the controls the amount of noise, which is supposed to emulate tape hiss, IIRC. I just turned it all the way down for all my patches that use the Vintage effect.

A previous poster mentioned the early units that had a well-known noise problem. How recently did you buy yours?

11. datguytim

datguytim Supporting Member

Mine's quiet. Check your settings - it can get very noisy by design (w/X knob up).

12. jzucker

x knob controls the bit depth on the vintage delay.

13. jzucker

I bought mine a couple weeks ago from samedaymusic. Is there a serial# cutoff?

14. donbarzini

donbarzini Member

I think it was around 250. I can't imagine the latest ones would be less than that since they were sold out immediately. The noise issue never happened in the effects loop at line level either, it was only when using in front of an amp. Didn't you return a noisy one already?

15. jzucker

I'm using mine in a loop at pedal level.

16. Angle Loss

Angle Loss Supporting Member

Just a note of clarification about the Xnob... in "Tape" mode it controls 'hiss', and in "Vintage" (low resolution digital delay) it controls 'Bit Rate' which will by nature introduce noise as well. On my TF, these modes (or rather high settings of Xnob in these two modes) are the only times that the TF produces any sort of noticeable noise. Your average Compressor or Overdrive produces way more noise than a TF.

Try reducing the Xnob in the Vintage mode (to increase the bit rates) to see if that helps your noise issue.

I'm hoping they change the "Hiss" on the tape mode to a saturation control and clean up the low res noise on the vintage mode. They have fixed every other problem I've personally had with the TF (except looper and infinite repeat clicks), so I feel that they have been listening to the customers extremely well. I run mine into a clean or semi-clean amp on the front end after my overdrives. I can imagine that those who run into a dirty amp will get noise---no matter what pedal they use, be it chorus, delay, boost, etc. The TF is very quiet compared to the many analog delays I've had (including the almighty Echoczar...). Best wishes on tracking down what is bothering you regarding the noise. I suppose that this post is a bit more general in addressing noise problems than just Jzucker's question. I hope others will benefit from it too.

17. jzucker

Thanks Angle Loss. That clears up a lot. FWIW, I am experiencing the noise in a clean amp. I will try some of the suggestions and report back...

18. drfrankencopter

drfrankencopter Member

I've always felt, and have commented about it a few times on the Eventide forum, that the vintage delay algorithm is too noisy. Way noisier than the old delays it is trying to emulate. It's too bad, because I like the 'vibe' , but can't put up with the noise on that algorithm.

Cheers

Kris

19. Angle Loss

Angle Loss Supporting Member

I absolutely agree!

20. jzucker

so what's the 2nd best algorithm for delay / mod ?