Eventide TimeFactor Tap Tempo issue

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by starfly59, Feb 16, 2008.

1. starfly59

starfly59 Member

I think this has been addressed, but it seems to me like a pretty serious problem with the unit and deserves a thread to discuss. I really like the sounds and function of this pedal, I've done the update as well and it really helped things a lot. What I don't like is how a number of the delays including Vintage and Tape modulate when you change tempo with tap tempo. It does this strange pitch shift/modulation thing as you tap in a new tempo while the delay is ringing out. I didn't think it would be a huge issue, but it turns out it's kind of a hassle, especially with longer delays in a live setting. Also, if spillover is turned on and global tempo is off, the same problem occurs when switching presets that have different delay times stored. They modulate and shift over each other in the preset switch for a moment and although it's kind of a cool spacey effect, it's not really a great sound for every situation.

Any tricks around this issue or do we just need to wait and hope Eventide fixed it with Update V2.0?

2. WorkingClassDan

WorkingClassDan Member

Yeah, I agree but all I can suggest is that you keep your tapping to two taps top minimise that pitchy modulation.

3. KagakuNinja

KagakuNinja Member

OK, when you change the tempo, you are changing the delay time. It is the same as if you reached down and turned the delay time knob to a new setting.

If there is sound in the delay loop, there are only 3 options:

1) pitch shift
    2) clicks and other digital artifacts
    3) kill what was in the loop

Option 1 is what happens when you change the delay time of an analog delay (the delay loop has samples in it, and you have changed the playback speed, therefore the pitch changes). Probably no one wants option 2 or 3. So don't expect Eventide to fix this, they probably don't consider it broken.

4. The Pup

The Pup Supporting Member

5. starfly59

starfly59 Member

Thanks for the response. Have you ever used the Boss DD20 or Nova Delay? Even a Line 6 PodXT Live doesn't have this issue on analog settings. Or ANY analog style delay pedal with tap tempo. It's true that the Eventide quality of delays is much, much better and they are infinitely more flexible. However, other units do not click, warp, pitch shift or anything on analog settings. Neither does the TC Electronic Nova Delay or the Line 6 DL4 (although there is a slight click on certain settings, it's not noticeable live). The pitching/warping sound on the TF is very noticeable and makes the unit very frustrating live. Personally, I'm crossing my fingers for a fix from Eventide because otherwise this unit just isn't for me.

6. Passenger84

Passenger84 Supporting Member

That annoyed me, too, with the Timefactor. That, amongst other issues made me sell it for a Damage Control Timeline....I'd highly suggest that delay if the Timefactor isn't doing it for ya. :)

7. Scrutinizer

Scrutinizer Member

The Eventide Eclipse does not suffer from any of the problems mentioned in this thread.

8. KagakuNinja

KagakuNinja Member

I have to admit that my knowledge of digital delays is mostly several years old, so perhaps some delays out there can adjust your delay time with absolutely no glitches. I mainly use analog delays.

That said, I just messed with my Timefactor. The DigitalDelay setting does not pitch shift when the delay time changes using tap tempo. However, there are audio glitches, in my opinion, and I suspect that all stomp box delays in this price range have similar issues.

If you shorten the delay time, your loop is truncated, which probably wouldn't be noticeable if you were just jamming at a normal feedback setting. When expanding the delay time, it sounds like the loop is repeated to fill the new loop length. Do the other delays you mention do these things?

I admit that the tap tempo behaviour on the VintageDelay is weird and not so useful, but most likely this was a deliberate design decision; who knows.

9. Teahead

Teahead Member

I'll be in the minority here, but I enjoy those warped time burps and am currently trying to use them in a creative way to add unusual twists in songs. Changing banks and subsequently tempo with long feedback and strange settings can be fun and cycling the resulting sounds with the repeat function is even more fun.

I can completely understand why this wouldn't be appropriate in every type of music and can only recommend that you do what I do when I don't want those sounds. Switch between Digital Delay presets, or switch one bank off before switching the other on.

10. enocaster

enocaster Member

I'm no help either, but I want to say to the OP that Starflyer 59 is a great band. Welcome to the board.

11. Andre357

Andre357 Member

its real simple - change the setting from milliseconds to beats per minute and the problem goes away.....

12. starfly59

starfly59 Member

Really? Wow, I guess I missed that - how do you change that setting?

13. enocaster

enocaster Member

The encoder knob is also a button. Press it!

14. KagakuNinja

KagakuNinja Member

Awesome. I used to change the delay time repeatedly on an old digital delay to introduce noise into a high feedback loop.

15. starfly59

starfly59 Member

Gave that a try and unfortunately changing this setting with the encoder knob/button doesn't fix this particular issue. My main concern is tapping in the tempo and getting this pitch-shift noise.

16. boon

boon Member

If you turn 'on' the catchup function, you shouldn't get the pitch shifting problem when tapping the tempo but then u still get an audio glitch which is really really frustrating. Hope eventide fixes this issue as I never had a problem when using the nova delay, dd20 and m13.

17. whoismarykelly

whoismarykelly Oh look! This is a thing I can change! Supporting Member

Im mostly annoyed that you have to tap three times for the tap tempo to react when I would rather just have to tap twice.

18. rickenbackerkid

rickenbackerkid Member

I don't mind it at all. It make the pedal more real to me. When I'm using tape of analog sounds, I want it be pitchy when changing tempo.

19. radcliff

radcliff Member

Ah yes....one of the reasons I sold it.