• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Eventide TimeFactor vs. Rose

What DELAY would you buy? (looping not considered)

• MXR Carbon Copy Deluxe

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • Eventide Rose

Votes: 15 44.1%
  • Eventide TimeFactor

Votes: 10 29.4%
  • Boss DD-500

Votes: 7 20.6%
  • EHX Grand Canyon

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Kurt Leege

There are 4 parts at 1:35. All run through the Rose.

1. The lead line which is a Barber Burn Unit>Rose>Tone King Imperial mkII.

2. The arpeggio line which is just Rose>amp

3. The swell line which is EHX Attack/Decay>Wilson Uber Haze>Rose>Amp

This line is doubled and panned which creates additional randomness

4. Ebow line which is just Rose>Amp.

JMPGuitars

Guitar Nerd
Gold Supporting Member
Listen to some of the rhythm tracks here - all the delays on this are the Rose with the exception of the pads that I created with the Timefactor preset I mentioned above.

I like your sound/style. I really dig the soundscape you created, and the use of modes. Very nice work!

Kurt Leege

I like your sound/style. I really dig the soundscape you created, and the use of modes. Very nice work!
Thanks! That’s one of the tunes from an album I intended to release in May, but with the childcare situation of lockdown, had to put it on hold for several months. I have 3 more tunes to record for a full cycle of 10 jazz standards done in that style. Next one up is Blue in Green from Kind of Blue. Now that nursery schools have opened up here again this week, I’ll hopefully finish the album sometime in August.

JMPGuitars

Guitar Nerd
Gold Supporting Member
Thanks! That’s one of the tunes from an album I intended to release in May, but with the childcare situation of lockdown, had to put it on hold for several months. I have 3 more tunes to record for a full cycle of 10 jazz standards done in that style. Next one up is Blue in Green from Kind of Blue. Now that nursery schools have opened up here again this week, I’ll hopefully finish the album sometime in August.
Keep us posted when you publish the album, I'd like to check it out.

JMPGuitars

Guitar Nerd
Gold Supporting Member
I got the Rose today...All I can say is, WOW. This thing sounds incredible. It's lush and warm, and the signal is very clean.

I used the first default preset the most and it was fantastic. I thought this thing only had 10 presets, but it really kinda has 50. It's got 25 actual presets, each with an A/B version. Way more than I need, but it's great. I'll probably modify the 1st preset to use the hotswitch as a tap tempo and be happy with just that for now.

This is what it looks like on my Gator board:
View media item 220402
My signal chain is: Dunlop volume pedal -> JoshuWah wah pedal, Turbo Tuner ST-300 -> JMPGuitars "Rat Pie" (which is a Violet BMP into a Rat) -> AB/Y box
And the bypass loop section of the AB/Y box is:
Rose -> Mooer ReEcho -> Mooer SkyVerb -> JamMan Solo XT
All powered with a Cioks DC10.

The Mooer stuff is good, but redundant, so I'll leave it alone until I decide on something more interesting to put there.

Thanks,
Josh

Last edited:

Jerrod

Gold Supporting Member
The Rose is great. If you have an expression pedal, I think that’s worth experimenting with.

JMPGuitars

Guitar Nerd
Gold Supporting Member
The Rose is great. If you have an expression pedal, I think that’s worth experimenting with.
Yes, I'm definitely interested in trying that out eventually...and maybe external foot switches.

The only problem is that I love tinkering, and if I get into experimental mode, this pedal appears that it could occupy a LOT of my time just messing around. For now I'm gonna keep it simple and play. ;)

JMPGuitars

Guitar Nerd
Gold Supporting Member
In case anybody is wondering, the Rose works perfectly with the DigiTech FS3X. Here's how I have mine setup:

Mode = Tip = A/B
Down = Ring = Down
Up = Tip/Ring = Up

I'm going to make an enclosure with the FS3X circuit doubled so I can use the 1 box for both my JamMan and Rose.

Thanks,
Josh

Not Orange

Gold Supporting Member
I'm going to make an enclosure with the FS3X circuit doubled so I can use the 1 box for both my JamMan and Rose.
I just got a custom stereo cable that splits into two stereo connectors on one side and one on the other.
And another custom stereo cable with three connectors so I can rubberneck all three of my Rubberneck delays simultaneously. :D

jujube

I have the Rose for looping. Timefactor and Space for ambience. The Rose is an amazing pedal but I like Timefactor for big modulated delay sounds.

prototype

Silver Supporting Member
They are completely different pedals. You could probably tune the Timeline to sound a bit like the Rose, but not vice versa. The Rose harkens back to the first days of digital when the delay line was only used to delay the signal and all the processing was analog, so it's going to have a warmer (read less hi-fi, more filtered) sound with potentially more analog artifacts (like the delays losing definition as they repeat).
This is actually still the case with Boss delays. To me they have always sounded the best among digital delays because of it. I had the timefactor for a while and i really really liked the delay sound but didn't like what it did to the dry signal.

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
I don't think that's absolutely correct. There's a difference between analog dry signal and analog feedback loop, and I'm pretty sure that the current Boss delays are all algorithmic, where the feedback is digital/on chip.

-Dry thru means that the unaffected signal is not digitized. Most modern Boss pedals, most inexpensive delays, some of the fancy ones do this. A lot of other ones digitize both and mix them internally to the chip.
-True bypass means the bypassed signal is not digitized.
-Analog feedback means the only thing the chip does is digitize, delay, and reconstruct. The feedback is then sent back to the initial AD convertor for another round. It's messier, but with modern chips you're not going to get much generation loss or phase shift. You ARE going to get analog filtering with the resulting loss in highs and/or lows that gives it a pleasing sound and feel. I'd love a list of delays that do this, but I suspect it's pretty short since you don't get to do "tape processing" or "analog processing" or any of those other cool presets that almost any digital delay now has.

Trending Topics