Ever been double booked?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Gandalf5150, Jan 29, 2012.

1. Gandalf5150

Gandalf5150 Member

Hasn't happened to me often, but I was double booked tonight.
    Solo gig. Got there 7:30. Bar owner checked his diary... apologised, said he'd been advertising a girl singer all week.
    Said he'd pay me in full and I could go home.

Easiest £200 I've earned in months.:omg

I've had the other type of double booked as well though, when the bar owner argues and refuses to pay, so I'm pleased this one went well:cool:

2. Alister

Alister Supporting Member

I'll believe in unicorns and bigfoot before this.

No such creature has ever been recorded, nor any such civilized honest behavior.

Get a DNA sample, and of course pictures. We will also require at least three other witnesses who can verify this story.

3. bloozetubes

bloozetubes Member

that never happens around here, we got d-booked and gave the gig to the other band. people showed up to see us, found out we werent there and left. the club owner called me an hour later wanting us to come back and play cuz the other band we gave the gig to, in his words, sucked. i said no and that i was already in my jammies.

4. V-Type

V-Type Member

Only double book we got and twice at different bars was sets.
    Apparently we were booked for set 3 and 5 one night and set 4 and 6 another nite.
    These were one hour set multi band nites btw.

5. Gandalf5150

Gandalf5150 Member

Sorry Dude, I was on my own, as mentioned in the op, it was a solo gig.
    Thing is, this happened about six months ago at another pub.
    Same thing, once the owner accepted responsibility, he paid me and sent me home.

Guess I look like I need the money:huh

6. Alister

Alister Supporting Member

So it's happened twice?

Man, I gotta move to the UK. Really.

Me, you mention "barowners," and what Louis C.K. calls "that little ball of hate" wells up in me.

Well, this will help alleviate that. There are honest people somewhere, at least.

7. LarryN

LarryN Member

Yeah. We kept the gig and the other guys (who were actually better than us, IMO) were very cool people. Gained some friends.

8. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

Yes... Squatter rights. First band with gear on stage gets gig;)

9. teleman55

teleman55 Member

The other kind of double booked. Once discovered I was booked in two different places at the same time on the same night. Only discovered it because I happened to see an ad in a newspaper. That was a mess. Last summer our booking agent had us one night at a place and the place's website had us being there the next night. If we'd not caught it and showed up the first night we'd have been double booked (and far from home).

10. Thinline_slim

Thinline_slim Supporting Member

I had booked a gig in CA, where I was living at the time as well as going to college, probably 4 months before, which was typical for this place. One problem though, I was starting an internship in CO 2 weeks before the gig.

I talked it over with my bass player and I though WTH I'll fly out for the weekend since it was my favorite venue to play. Luckily I called 2 days before to confirm the gig and sure enough, I was erased on the schedule at some point and replaced.

This also happened to be the day I found out the Expedia has a one time flight ticket canselation with no penalty clause. Not very f***in coincidental.

11. rbnum1fan

rbnum1fan Senior Member

If you play play out often enough it will happen. I have had it happen a handfull of times and it's usually when you have more than one person doing the booking.
    I have NEVER gotten paid when i was double booked,but i have always gotten extra dates and usually a bump on the bar tab.
    I don't get dickish when it happens, i understand that club owners are human (barely) and mistakes happen.

12. Jazzydave

Jazzydave Seeker Silver Supporting Member

Nice one! Sadly, a show I did last month was also double-booked...well, rather, they booked NINE other acts on top of a benefit concert I had organized for the local food bank. I had set it up months in advance with the venue's general manager, promoted it all over town, local news, etc. Apparently, there were a few other people working there who thought they were also in charge of booking and had both maxed the night out.

I came with an opener, my own sound system, and posters that were hung in the venue for about a month - how they missed that, I have no idea. Somehow though, to the other people who were supposed to play, I ended up being the bad guy because I wasn't going to cut my show an hour short. Keep in mind none of these other acts were being paid and I had a packed house of people with food in their hands. It was also my last show in that town for quite awhile...

I tried calling the GM and he never called me back - hasn't still actually. Funny enough, the manager that was working that night kept telling the bands to come talk to me instead of doing her job. What the? Yes, I was heading up the benefit, but they should have worked all of that out. I ended up cutting my set about 30 mins short so the next guy could at least get going...and he was actually the only polite one in the bunch.

Whew...happens very rarely but it's almost just as rare that it rolls as smoothly as your situation!