Ever Been Fired From The Band You Started ?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by gillman royce, Feb 19, 2012.

1. gillman royce

gillman royce Member

Just finished reading Bill Bruford's EXCELLENT autobiography - probably the best I've read & I've read quite a few. When he got to the part about what brought the original U.K. band to an end, it brought back some fun memories. After a gig, bassist John Wetton got into the limo with Bruford and stated that unless Allan Holdsworth played the same solos every night, he didn't want to work with him again. To me, that's like a house painter complaining that Picasso doesn't paint within the lines.
    I was reminded of one of the early bands I put together back in the Top 40 Cover Band era. One day I show up for rehearsal to find The Judge and Jury waiting for me. They were upset that I wasn't playing Clapton solos note for note. They didn't like my '60 Tiger Stripe Gretsch 6122 going through my blackface Bandmaster -" it doesn't look right and that's probably why you aren't getting the solos right. " If I agreed to buy a LP and a Marshall and promised to play the solos note for note, I could stay. They only forgot two somewhat important things: my vocal range enabled us to do a wide range of material, which made us a draw; I was the guy who got us the well-paying gigs. 'Bye , fellas.
    Jump a head a few decades. I've got $10k of holiday gigs booked and no band. I go through my roster of talent and check my notes on past problems( wife/girlfriend will make my life miserable for months if I book him for New Year's; player X won't share a room; player Y disappears during load in/out, etc. ) I line up a bottom end I've played and gotten along with before but my usual go-to keyboardists are all unavailable so I have to audition someone new. We track down a guy we've never seen or met but comes recommended. Shows up for rehearsal with good gear, can play and has a really good vox. I'm thinkin' this should be a snap. Bass player suggests we start with that chestnut of chestnuts, Evil Ways - easy key, good community sing & all that.
    Everything starts out fine . I notice the keys is playing it straight to the record so I start using chord substitutions to fill it out and not be bored. Sounds great & the we're smiling with the groove - everyone, that is, except the keyboard player. Song ends and the guy goes ballistic on me, as though I'd just nailed his third leg to a tree with a staple gun. " What the F are you playing, man. That's wrong. That's not how the song goes. I thought this was supposed to be a rock gig, not some spaced out jazz jam. People won't pay you to play like that, man. ETC,ETC" The guy's really built up a head of steam now and the three of us have our eyes buggin out of our heads and our jaws on the floor as we watch this guy basically foam at the mouth and come unglued. At some point his brain has caught up with his mouth as we can see that it's suddenly dawning on him that he might just have overstepped the boundaries here. He demurs, quiets down to a mumble and says " That's OK, man. Actually, I prefer to play violin but I only need $50 from the gig anyway." Right - NEXT.

2. DGTCrazy

DGTCrazy Moderator de Emporio Staff Member

Bands are like Underwear; Gotta change them for various reasons...:rotflmao

As to your question; I've never been fired...but I've fired a few, and left a few. I'm currently in a "Note for Note" band, but that's by design, because several of the members, while older in age, are newer to the band scene. As the lead guitarist and vocalist, it's helped keep the newer band members focus when Wood Shedding....and I'm just getting them to the point to where we can extend solo's, and improvise parts after about a year.

Sometimes it can get a little boring, especially after my last band, playing with 10 players (including a horn section) who were all accomplished and could have some fun by stretching out. But being able to direct the path of musicians newer to a band is fun because they get so excited when they nail their parts! I love the enthusiasm for sure.

3. rhinocaster

rhinocaster Supporting Member

Yes I have.

I started a band with another guitar player and we played together for 15 years. Interest in the band and interest within the band had been waning and I started working on another project during out down time to be ready when my original band finally gave it up. Well, the bass player of the original band quit and I moved on to the new project full time.

The other guitar player unfriended me on Facebook when he found out that I was playing with other guys and sent me a text stating "I'll never play music with you again".

He got the other guys back together, kept all the songs I wrote and kept the name. He told everyone that I quit.

Sound like a firing to me! :D

4. Rockledge

Rockledge Member

One way to keep that from happening is , before you start a band, register the name locally as a business.
    Name the band before you even put it together, when you approach others about joining make sure they undestand the name has already been chosen.
    That way if someone decides to wrestle it away from you, you have the option of , after they book gigs under that name, to go to the club they are booked to play and show the owner your proof of ownership of the name.

5. OOG

OOG Member

yep
    they blew up On Stage a month latter and walked off an important and well paying gig

f***ing maroons

6. LavaMan

LavaMan Gold Supporting Member

Yes - happened to me in my Retro-80's college band. Could not believe it at the time. Later re-formed band with a couple new players...

7. mockoman

mockoman Member

"Ever Been Fired From The Band You Started ?"

Yes,
    signed,
    Roger Waters

8. GulfportBound

GulfportBound Member

This reminds me of the incident that I still think caused the original bass candidate for my blues band to disappear without a trace from us: He came to my place one day to work on some material (our drummer wasn't available, we didn't have our keyboard player yet, but he wanted to work a bit and I was always up for that), and he began playing the bass line for Stevie Ray Vaughan's "Crossfire," which isn't one of the SRV numbers that's been beaten to death and back and back again.

Something about the way he was playing it suggested we could make a nice solid piece of Memphis-meets-Muscle Shoals soul blues out of it. I flipped on my amps and slid in to play along with him. We had a great groove going for us, he just sank right into it like a guy sinking into a warm bath, and I kept playing and thinking this is going to be great . . . .and then he stops playing and begins waving his arms all over the place.

"No, no, no, man, we can't play it like that!!!!"

Why on earth not, I asked.

"Because the Stevie Ray people will kill us if we even think about playing it like that!!!"

What on earth are you talking about, I asked.

"You can't play Stevie Ray any way but the Stevie Ray way!!!!!"

Whatever happened to rule number one of the blues, which is that there ain't no rules?

No reply to that one. Looking back, I was surprised he didn't tell me I had to go out and get the, quote, correct instrument and equipment to play Stevie Ray Vaughan material.

We moved on to work on a couple of other things before he had to go. Since we'd agreed as a band (we'd just formed) that we'd take a break for the holidays and reconvene after New Year's, we wished each other happy holidays and said goodbye and that was that.

After the holidays, I messaged the guys to get back together. Never heard from that bass player. He never answered three telephone messages, four text messages, and four e-mails. Just disappeared.

I can't help wondering to this day if it was because I'd been audacious enough to pick up on his musical hints and join him in figuring out a way to play "Crossfire" that wasn't a Xerox copy of the "Stevie Ray" way.

9. s2y

s2y Member

Yup, wrote their songs, too. That sort of BS drama is why I don't put much effort into finding a band these days.