Ever bought 2 guitars online to see which one you liked better?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Brian N, Jun 20, 2017.

1. Brian N

Brian N Member

So I bought this guitar from GC's used inventory online. It came out to $700, the cheapest I could find it online. But today, a week later, they've stopped selling them new and a one came up at a different GC store for $400, so I bought that one too and I figure I'll just return the one I like less (or the more expensive one if I like them equally). Figure I'll be out $20 shipping for the return, but really no big deal.

2. Astronaut FX

Astronaut FX Member

No. I have never made any purchase knowing full well that a return would be involved. Never.

T92780, Doug59, candid_x and 9 others like this.
  3. ChampReverb

ChampReverb Silver Supporting Member

Pedals yes.
    Guitars no.

-bEn r.

4. sfarnell

sfarnell Gold Supporting Member

I've bought two guitars with the intention of keeping the one I like best, but more often than not I end up keeping both. I hate selling gear.

T92780 and pbmw like this.
  5. DustyRhodesJr

DustyRhodesJr Supporting Member

I would not do that personally, but if GC allows it, what do you have to lose?

6. killinears

killinears Supporting Member

I have not purchased 2 like you did but I have no problem with your method! There is a try-out period from an online purchase! During this period you don't beat the snot out of their item, you treat it with respect and care. You don't remove any plastic from guards or or scratch the back with your belt buckles. If it doesn't pass muster it goes back in the same or better condition.

7. cutaway

cutaway Supporting Member

I do that with shoes if there's free returns sometimes. A half size too big and what I think is the right size. What stinks is when they run large and you needed the smaller size, but hey, free returns.

kwaping likes this.
  8. adamajah

adamajah Supporting Member

I don't see anything wrong with this but make sure there's no restocking fee... and isn't shipping a guitar more like $40-50?

9. sedawkgrep

sedawkgrep Supporting Member

Yes, each from a private seller. Never had an EBMM, bought a 20th anniversary Silo and an Axis SS the same week. Kept the 20th for about a year; I still have the Axis.

As an aside, I think the 20th would've been perfect as a 22-fret instead of 24, and if it had larger frets. As it was I just didn't understand a 24-fret "vintage" sounding guitar.

10. ef_in_fla

ef_in_fla Member

I don't like having to return even small stuff, let alone something like a guitar. Probably stems back to my retail days and seeing the post Christmas refund fiasco every year.

kwaping likes this.
  11. stonem

stonem Member

I've bought multiple different guitars knowing I was only keeping one of them and selling the others. These weren't the same model though. I wanted a new guitar and narrowed it down to 2 or 3 different ones. Played Em for a week or two and sold the ones that didn't pass litmus.

12. muzishun

muzishun Member

That takes patience! The same chord for two weeks?

13. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Silver Supporting Member

Sad.

14. kwaping

kwaping Guitar payer

:rimshot:jo

15. Robotechnology

Robotechnology Supporting Member

Heck yes! My record is three of the same model at a time. I sold the other two after I found the one that spoke to me the most (they were really close though so in that particular case I didn't need to invest all that money). I think about 8 other times I've purchased two of the same model used and then sold the one I liked least. I highly recommend this methodology if you have the time and funds for it. The downside is you will find it VERY HARD to sell your picks because in your head you'll think if you decide to get another one, it likely won't sound as good. Playability and cosmetics don't come into play with my decisions, only tone. I only once did it on a return basis but, the seller knew what I was doing as I paid in full for one and left a hold check and copy of my driver's license for the other (as a security deposit basically), and had 2 R9's for a test drive weekend and only had to be out the money for one in order to do so. That was a GREAT seller obviously! I cheerfully brought the R9 back I wasn't staying with and collected my hold check and dl back.

Brian N likes this.
  16. candid_x

candid_x Supporting Member

17. stonem

stonem Member

Hey metallica has been doing it for decades and it worked for them....

18. jklotz

jklotz Member

I haven't done that, but I did buy a used guitar at gc, had it shipped to the store, played it at the store, and got my money back. They did not charge me for shipping.

kwaping likes this.
  19. C-4

C-4 Member

I love Red Bank, NJ! Florida now Europe later
    I have not had good luck in receiving guitars from various stores, which I chose to keep, and I doubt that sending two of them to choose from, would have made it any better.

In the last 2 years, I have ordered and returned every guitar I thought I might keep. None of them met what I wanted from them. This numbers about 12-14 guitars. It's not a sickness.. It's just that I would play the guitar after setting it up, and check it over, and find things I didn't care for, then thought to myself..."Do I want to pay for this guitar for the next 2-3 years monthly? Will I still be happy with it in a few months?

Now, I don't even bother any longer. I would do this for an amp, but for a guitar any more, maybe one or two specific guitars only.

20. Brian N

Brian N Member

They include the shipping charge when you order (they don't do free shipping on used items) and it was $20 for each. For $40-50 I'd probably think twice about it.

I'm not big on returning stuff either, but the price difference was big enough to justify it. Plus, their return policy is the main reason I'd even consider buying the guitar. If I bought from anywhere else online I'd be looking at shipping both ways, and it would just be a hassle. Here at least I can return it to the store.

adamajah likes this.