1. During the first week of August 2020, we'll be upgrading the software TGP runs on to the currently available up-to-date version. The software version is a significant upgrade, so there will be some downtime as we do the work under the hood. We've got a team of professionals, including the actual software development company assisting the process. We've conducted actual tests using backups of the current forum to ensure a smooth and successful upgrade. We've gone to great lengths on the design of the theme (aka 'skin' or look and feel) of the forum to offer a better user experience for members and visitors. The default theme will be new, yet clearly influenced by the classic TGP look. We will have a dark version of that also easily selectable. Also available will be a "Classic TGP" theme that closely matches the current theme you are accustomed to using with the current software. There is also an easy width adjustment to make it set width or expand to your window width for each theme. As we get closer, I'll update everyone so hopefully no one will be caught by surprise.
    Dismiss Notice

Ever bought an amp for the speaker that was in it? Or the tubes?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by 55hz, Dec 5, 2019.

1. 55hz

55hz Member

I bought a Peavey for the EV SRO Alnico that was in it, and a Kalamazoo that had all Mullards in it.

Anyone else?

AintNoEddie likes this.
  2. wi3465

wi3465 Guitar Slut Gold Supporting Member

Mesa SOB (Son of Boogie) for a vintage EVM12L. Great amp, a very loud and clean 60watts. Some say one of the best speakers ever made.

55hz likes this.
  3. Trebor Renkluaf

Trebor Renkluaf I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse? Silver Supporting Member

Nope. Not saying I wouldn't though.

4. zenas

zenas Member

Sure, if I see a cheap amp I'll see what's in it. Like the old Peavey hybrid amps that used 4 or 6 6L6s. Without fail someone beat me to it.
    Had way better luck with old organs.

5. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

A beat to hell red knob Twin cab for a pair of EVM12-Ls just recently. Lots of organs for tubes, and a few tape recorders and console amplifiers, but no guitar amps I can remember.

6. Rossi163

Rossi163 Supporting Member

Numerous times. Bought a late 60's Canadian solid state GBX Super Bug combo that had pair of Celestion greenbacks. A Standel solid state amp with a pristine JBL D130F. An early 70's silverface Twin Reverb with a pair of orange frame JBL D120's and complete set of RCA tubes.

55hz likes this.
  7. FloridaSam

FloridaSam Member

If its the same Peavey I think it is I had a REALLY hard time not buying it myself. I had literally bought an amp the day before...but that Peavey with the EV was a bargain.
    I have a Guild Thunder II 2X10. It's full of Telefunkens, certainly didn't hurt its chances of me buying it.

55hz likes this.
  8. Jerrod

Jerrod Silver Supporting Member

I bought a THD Type O because it had a cool picture of Jimi inside the combo cabinet.

9. Freddyzone

Freddyzone Member

Traynor YSR1 with Phillips el34 power tubes and pre amp tubes. I think they are actually Mullards but Phillips branded.

Toowoombaus likes this.
  10. S. F. Sorrow

S. F. Sorrow Member

Kinda. A 1959 Telefunken Hymnus STEREO (rare then) console. Loaded with original EL84 & ECC83 (12AX7) tubes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

lamf, Borealis, AintNoEddie and 2 others like this.
  11. JES1680

JES1680 Silver Supporting Member

Yes, bought a Laney pro-tube 6 knob partially because it had Siemens EL34s and partly for nostalgia as it's the same 50 watter I played back in the hair band days. :)

12. Bucksears

Bucksears Silver Supporting Member

Not in the past, but I'd have no qualms about buying the Egnater Tourmaster 2x12 cab for the Celestion Elite 80's inside.
    The fact that the cab is well-built, oversized, sounds great and thinks it's a 4x12 (sounds huge) is just a bonus.

13. Ippon

Ippon Member

This is a nicely-maintained '84 SOB with the awesome EVM-12L speaker.

You can play it at speaking volume but you can really feel your hair stand when you play it loud. This is not an amp for shy people. :);)

[​IMG]

Jamie_Mitchell likes this.
  14. Toowoombaus

Toowoombaus Silver Supporting Member

Yes I did. Bought a Traynor YSR-1 for the Phillips branded Mullards. I made a 3 minute film of the amp safari with mic'd up tests.
    I don't have the amp but I still have the tubes! Six preamp and two power tubes. ;)

Freddyzone and Coolidge like this.
  15. s360guitarist

s360guitarist Supporting Member

Yes. Snagged an old non-functioning radio chassis from 1949 on my local CL. Stock with NOS 6v6gt and a 5y3...paid 20 bucks.

16. deepcove17

deepcove17 Supporting Member

No but for the right price I would.

17. MikeMcK

MikeMcK Silver Supporting Member

Way back when very few people knew what Traynor amps were all about I could find them locally for next to nothing... I'm not in Canada but Long & McQuade had a couple of stores near where I lived and Traynors were all over the place. When the Internet became a "thing" I could still find $100 YBA-1s, $75 YBA-2s and combos (YGMs) for a little more. As often as not, I'd get them and find Mullards with a lot of life on them.

Toowoombaus and Christian Dulac like this.
  18. lamf

lamf Member

I bought an old VT 4X12 for the 4 Greenbacks for $150

19. Jamie_Mitchell

Jamie_Mitchell Member

yep. silverface Twin for $100, for the JBLs in it.

20. scelerat

scelerat Silver Supporting Member

I, too, bought a Peavey Pacer about a year ago at a guitar show for $200 that had an EV coffee-can SRO speaker in it. Put the SRO in its own cab, but I had a Celestion G12T-75 hanging around, so I put that in the Pacer, and it's totally great sounding. Giggable grab-and-go which also works as a shop/quiet house amp.