Ever Build Your Own Clone?

Conner

Member
Messages
28
Specifically, from buildyourownclone.com? I'm thinking it'd be a nice way to learn something and get a pedal out of the deal. Any experience w/ these or any other dealers of kits?

I'll probably be getting the Tone Bender clone.
 

rawkguitarist

Member
Messages
10,984
Yes, the stuff is first rate from BYOC. Be sure you’re pretty good with a soldering iron and you must READ & FOLLOW the instructions. It’ll save you a trip to the local tech.:mad: And most of all exorcise patience. I built an 808 clone and the Ross Compressor. I built the 808 to stock specks, cause I’ve never owned a good Tube Screamer, it sounds fantastic. I made one mod to the Ross for added treble, I can’t tell the difference A/Bing it to a Keeley (except that the controls ramp up quicker on the keeley).

 

fractal

Member
Messages
247
Originally posted by Conner
Specifically, from buildyourownclone.com? I'm thinking it'd be a nice way to learn something and get a pedal out of the deal. Any experience w/ these or any other dealers of kits?

I'll probably be getting the Tone Bender clone.
I built the Tone Bender. It was really fun! Plus, it ended up sounding great. It isn't really the sound *I* was looking for, but it is a keeper.

-Garrett
 
B

Big Bob

Originally posted by aarondavis
Yes, the stuff is first rate from BYOC. Be sure you’re pretty good with a soldering iron and you must READ & FOLLOW the instructions. It’ll save you a trip to the local tech.:mad: And most of all exorcise patience. I built an 808 clone and the Ross Compressor. I built the 808 to stock specks, cause I’ve never owned a good Tube Screamer, it sounds fantastic. I made one mod to the Ross for added treble, I can’t tell the difference A/Bing it to a Keeley (except that the controls ramp up quicker on the keeley).

|You aren't trying to make some kind of statement here....are you?:D

Bob
 

rawkguitarist

Member
Messages
10,984
Nope, no statement (well on here anyway), just posted what I made. I thought they were just whimsical names. Let's just say they are both open to interpretation, I plead the 5th...
 

reachjkh

Member
Messages
436
I'm glad to see this post and responses. I was just thinking recently about asking for opinions.

I have a used SWR Mo'bass controller that I've gutted and am considering building several of these BYOC effects into it. Sort of a poor man's version of a Pete Cornish pedal board.
 

Kingpin

Member
Messages
617
I built the Delay and was quite impressed with the results. It sounds warmer and deeper than my Digidelay and costs less too. As everyone has mentioned, it does require a bit of patience to build, but the instructions and photos on their Website are good enough to get you through it.
 

nlopez

Silver Supporting Member
Messages
1,466
Hey Kingpin
How much current does the delay eat up? I like my danecho, but it goobles up 300ma of the 450 my signal flex supplies
Thanks
Nick
 

MrSage

Member
Messages
861
Originally posted by nlopez
Hey Kingpin
How much current does the delay eat up? I like my danecho, but it goobles up 300ma of the 450 my signal flex supplies
Thanks
Nick
Digital delays tend to do that...

I've built the Fuzz Face, Phase 90, and the delay.

I'm going to build the VB-2 and the Slow Gear when those kits are ready.

;)
 

Kingpin

Member
Messages
617
Originally posted by nlopez
Hey Kingpin
How much current does the delay eat up? I like my danecho, but it goobles up 300ma of the 450 my signal flex supplies
Thanks
Nick
Sorry, I don't know the answer to that one, it doesn't come with a manual or spec sheet. I've only run it off of my Pedal Power2 (with no problems), so I don't know how long the battery would last. You might be able to get the answer via an email to Keith.

keith@bigtonemusic.com

Hope this helps.
 

reachjkh

Member
Messages
436
Well, I just ordered the tremolo kit. I guess I'm gonna find out first hand.

I did notice on the message board that he's got several new kits and mods coming out. I may have to buy the simple phaser before he changes to the new kits.
 

MrSage

Member
Messages
861
Originally posted by mustangman
i think im goning to wait until the Boss SG-1 pedal comes out, but of course it will have to be true bypass.
What have you built previously?

The reason I'm asking is that the SG-1 might be a bit complex for a first build...

(all the kits are true bypass, by the way)
 

mustangman

Member
Messages
632
Originally posted by MrSage
What have you built previously?

The reason I'm asking is that the SG-1 might be a bit complex for a first build...

(all the kits are true bypass, by the way)
a bunch of stuff, i think i can do it.a bunch of mods and few pedals here and there some werent good and a few where.
 

eric-d

Member
Messages
3,409
I just order the Ranger clone... I'm really excited about it... I'm gonna also order the delay, fuzz face, tremolo and the new phaser (it'll have a univibe mod).... These seem like a lot of fun and from what I've heard and read, they're really good sounding... I can't wait to build them... :) In fact, I think they'll make cool gifts for your buddies that play too... :D
 




Trending Topics

Top