Ever Build Your Own Clone?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Conner, Aug 23, 2005.

1. Conner

Conner Member

Specifically, from buildyourownclone.com? I'm thinking it'd be a nice way to learn something and get a pedal out of the deal. Any experience w/ these or any other dealers of kits?

I'll probably be getting the Tone Bender clone.

2. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

Yes, the stuff is first rate from BYOC. Be sure you’re pretty good with a soldering iron and you must READ & FOLLOW the instructions. It’ll save you a trip to the local tech.:mad: And most of all exorcise patience. I built an 808 clone and the Ross Compressor. I built the 808 to stock specks, cause I’ve never owned a good Tube Screamer, it sounds fantastic. I made one mod to the Ross for added treble, I can’t tell the difference A/Bing it to a Keeley (except that the controls ramp up quicker on the keeley).

[​IMG]

3. fractal

fractal Member

I built the Tone Bender. It was really fun! Plus, it ended up sounding great. It isn't really the sound *I* was looking for, but it is a keeper.

-Garrett

4. stekks

stekks Member

Built 2 of his clones. The Delay and Compressor. Highly recommended!

5. Big Bob

Big Bob Guest

|You aren't trying to make some kind of statement here....are you?:D

Bob

6. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

Nope, no statement (well on here anyway), just posted what I made. I thought they were just whimsical names. Let's just say they are both open to interpretation, I plead the 5th...

7. reachjkh

reachjkh Member

I'm glad to see this post and responses. I was just thinking recently about asking for opinions.

I have a used SWR Mo'bass controller that I've gutted and am considering building several of these BYOC effects into it. Sort of a poor man's version of a Pete Cornish pedal board.

8. Kingpin

Kingpin Member

I built the Delay and was quite impressed with the results. It sounds warmer and deeper than my Digidelay and costs less too. As everyone has mentioned, it does require a bit of patience to build, but the instructions and photos on their Website are good enough to get you through it.

9. nlopez

nlopez Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

Hey Kingpin
    How much current does the delay eat up? I like my danecho, but it goobles up 300ma of the 450 my signal flex supplies
    Thanks
    Nick

10. MrSage

MrSage Member

Digital delays tend to do that...

I've built the Fuzz Face, Phase 90, and the delay.

I'm going to build the VB-2 and the Slow Gear when those kits are ready.

;)

11. Kingpin

Kingpin Member

Sorry, I don't know the answer to that one, it doesn't come with a manual or spec sheet. I've only run it off of my Pedal Power2 (with no problems), so I don't know how long the battery would last. You might be able to get the answer via an email to Keith.

keith@bigtonemusic.com

Hope this helps.

12. mustangman

mustangman Member

i built a EH LBP2 clone from GGG once. it worked out good.

13. reachjkh

reachjkh Member

Well, I just ordered the tremolo kit. I guess I'm gonna find out first hand.

I did notice on the message board that he's got several new kits and mods coming out. I may have to buy the simple phaser before he changes to the new kits.

14. mustangman

mustangman Member

i think im goning to wait until the Boss SG-1 pedal comes out, but of course it will have to be true bypass.

15. MrSage

MrSage Member

What have you built previously?

The reason I'm asking is that the SG-1 might be a bit complex for a first build...

(all the kits are true bypass, by the way)

16. mustangman

mustangman Member

a bunch of stuff, i think i can do it.a bunch of mods and few pedals here and there some werent good and a few where.

17. MrSage

MrSage Member

:cool:

18. eric-d

eric-d Member

I just order the Ranger clone... I'm really excited about it... I'm gonna also order the delay, fuzz face, tremolo and the new phaser (it'll have a univibe mod).... These seem like a lot of fun and from what I've heard and read, they're really good sounding... I can't wait to build them... :) In fact, I think they'll make cool gifts for your buddies that play too... :D