Ever built your own effects?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Thomme, Oct 13, 2008.

1. Thomme

Thomme Member

I'm just wondering what effects anyone on here has built. I've only built a couple of really basic boxes and started on a tube screamer clone, but never finished it (I plan on finishing it someday!). The basic ones I've built were pretty much tone pedals to take the edge off of my tone-knobless guitars. I built a tone box, which is litterally a box with a 500k pot and a .047pfu cap and the other one was actually variable with a bypass, I built it in a really crappy volume pedal case and ended up breaking the thing :-(.

Just wondering what you've all done.

2. PedalFreak

PedalFreak Supporting Member

I've done a rehouse/mod on 2 TS-9's for a friend (finishing it now), Couple MOSfet Boost pedals, a Custom Fuzz pedal for a guy in a local band, & I'm designing an OPamp based Fuzz & an Overdrive right now.

Kind of a very small, very slow build side job. It's fun. Working with a couple local bands working up things for them, nothing too serious. Also have built a few 1/2watt amps for some guys.

3. rog951

rog951 Member

My day job is designing PCBs so it comes pretty easily to me. My best design was an optical compressor but it got stolen and I can't find my notes! :( That thing was so smooth. My latest is a Foxx Tone Machine-inspired pedal but I'm still trouble-shooting.

4. guitbeef

guitbeef Member

I've built quite a few over the last year and a half. Almost all successes, a couple things didn't go right- had one of each today. Finished an OD with Mosfet clippers that I really dig so far, but I kept going and attempted to swap some components on a BSIAB experiment I've had going for a while, and ended losing my temper.

I take long breaks for building/ modding effects every now and then. For me it's very, very tedious and time-consuming and sometimes I realize it might be better to just go back buying more pedals instead, but I love that rush of hearing it work the first time I fire it up, plus the learning experience is invaluable to me.

But at the end of day, I really just want to play, that's where my heart really is.

5. percepeid

percepeid Member

Built a killer tremolo, based off an old ea trem schematic. a number of od's. basic booster/tone box. I'm looking at building a phaser next, but i had a flood and all my supplies were wrecked. So i'd have to restock all electronics, new iron, etc.. etc..

6. this1smyne

this1smyne Member

i've built some clean boosters (SHO clones, etc) that turned out really cool, custom bypass loopers/switching pedals (relayed and non), taps/eventide controllers, rehoused a couple pedals, a fuzz factory clone (still wrestling with rehousing it though, somethings not right with it....) and various others. i spend lots of time on them, and sometimes they're cool. but i'd rather play than build. so i usually just stick to basic patch bays/tap tempos/true bypass loops for a side business.... don't make much money, but helps me build up a base from which to help people make music (i'm a pastor, i live on equipping people to do things with excellence).

7. j_m_s

j_m_s Member

I've built a tremolo some other boosters some nonsense. did some mods. and tap tempo switches. Doing this to earn some extra pocket money as a student.

possibly about to order an eventide controller from the guy above me!

Cheers,
    James

8. mfgobbi

mfgobbi Member

I have built or had someone build/help me build:
    Fuzz Face Ge
    Tycobrahe octavia 1
    Tycobrahe octavia 2 (GGG)
    Foxx tone machine
    GGG BSIAB2
    Univibe inside a crybaby shell (tight!!!!)
    Craig Anderton phaser
    Craig Anderton fuzz (red llama)
    BYOC wah
    BYOC Landgraff DO
    BYOC RAT (6 mode clipping mod)
    Tone Bender Mk2
    Colorsound Overdriver with clipping mod for Ge clipping switch
    Blues Breaker with KoT mod
    Klon with switch for true/buffer bypass
    Box of Rock with less bass mod and switch to change od-boost order
    5 OLC amp simulators

9. aeonlux

aeonlux Member

I've built my own effects in the Eventide Vsig modular environment, and I have also built some basic effects in SynthKit for the Korg OASYS PCI.

When it comes to analog effects, I have built a simple fuzz clone, and that's it. I plan on building a much larger chorus/phase box next year.

cheers,
    Ian

10. Thomme

Thomme Member

I'm actually planning on finishing the Tubescreamer clone this week, and was hoping to get some advice on the build. I've got all the caps, resistors and such on the PCB, just not soldered in, I'm'a little afraid of that step, but beyond that. I was actually wondering how to mount it in the enclosure. None of the enclosures that I found had stand offs in them, and was wondering what to do about that.

11. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

Full disclosure: I'm not a pedal builder or effects guru. I only understand what capacitors, resistors and opamps look like and *kind of* what they do. :AOK But I can run a soldering iron and read instructions. Therefore...

I've built the following *kits*.
    2 BYOC Ross Compressor clones, two knobers. One was for a friend.
    1 BYOC TS808 clone
    1 GGG BSIABII, this one is quite a surprise.

Out of all of them my favorite is the Ross clone. I actually like it better than the Keeley Comps I've played. But the BSIABII is an AMAZING distortion/OD unit.

Also, using the well written instructions from Brian at Inguitarist.com I've modded probably dozens of Boss and Voodoo Lab pedals. This stuff isn't that hard to do, it just takes a little research and patience. And above all *reading the instructions and going *SLOW*. :AOK

A great resource is http://www.diystompboxes.com/wpress/

12. joepopp

joepopp Member

13. Thomme

Thomme Member

well, I just finished soldering the PCB, think I did fairly decent job. Now... I can't figure out how to mount it in the enclosure, I'm using a taiwanese 1590-BB I got from small bear and there's no standoffs (let alone space for anything!). So, I'm trying to get advice on how to take care of this.

14. Brad J

Brad J Member

Built an burst E recently, liked it better than my other two RHE's,
    and modded a BYOC Phase 90 into an op-amp uni-vibe, turned out great.

Also have a JOAM in the pipeline with switchable gain.

Maybe we should start putting some pics up of these builds, I'd like to see some finished products of youse guys :AOK

15. Blunder

Blunder Supporting Member

I have built quite a few pedals. Trems, phasers, delays,and overdrives, but my favorite pedals to build are fuzzes. I've found that they are the most responsive to component changes and you can get a really cool circuit out of a minimal number of parts. I just love building these things.

A few words of caution about building:
    It's highly addictive.
    It can totally take away from your playing/practicing time/social life
    It doesn't really end up being a whole lot cheaper than buying pedals once you account for the amount you will spend on parts,supplies, etc.( I am constantly buying more and more parts for projects that are way down the line)

Cool idea! Somebody should start a thread;)

16. Blunder

Double sided foam tape works well for mounting boards in enclosures. You can find it at any hardware store. It also helps insulate the solder side of the board against shorts.
    I've also used velcro for some builds. this works well in case you ever need to pull the board for repairs/mods.

17. Thomme

Thomme Member

thank you, I didn't even think of that... and yeah, as for it being cheaper than buying pedals... this TS808/TS9 project that I've undertaken has cost me about $60 in parts, and is going to end up costing me a bit more, since I left my wire, battery clips and such at home (I'm at school) and I'll have to rebuy them, plus I'm'a buy that tape, and maybe a new enclosure... so, yeah, I'll be up to the price of a TS9 reissue, and it probably won't sound as good.

18. Blunder

I think you will be surprised at how good your own pedals can sound.:AOK

Part of it may be that it sounds better to you since you built it. It's a very cool feeling to fire up something you built and have it sound great.

But, more important to me is the learning experience. The more you build, the more you understand how everything works and it sort takes away some of the mystique that surrounds these magic little boxes.

19. eric-d

eric-d Member

I've built a few. I'm mainly working on Fuzz Faces, Rangemasters, and next is Wah (still de-bugging) pedals. I'm slowly working my way up the stomp box ladder. I have some in the works right now here's a pic of a finished Fuzz Face that rivals most IMHO.

[​IMG]

NOTE: Still finding the right Tranny's. It's all PTP (on pref-board) - but I'm still tweaking and I have more ideas I have yet to imply into the design/layout.

20. Blunder

Very nice, Eric! I dig the name too. I'll bet it sounds sweet thru that amp in the background.
    How do you like the NKT 274's?