Ever buy a guitar based on how it plays in the store......

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by jimmyohio75, Mar 1, 2012.

1. jimmyohio75

jimmyohio75 Member

......then you get it home and it's not as great as you thought? :confused:

I hate that! :messedup

Good thing GC has a 30 day return policy! :D

2. GulfportBound

GulfportBound Member

I got to play a Les Paul R9 Bloomfield model---without actually knowing it was a Bloomfield burst---in a store last summer. Saw this great-looking R9 and just had to try it out. She played beautifully through the Fender amps I love most. (I put her into both a Twin Reverb and a Deluxe Reverb, one after the other.) She actually played better than the standard R9s I'd tried out previously. Only when I returned her to her wall hook did I spot the telltale signs of a Bloomfield. (Mismatched knobs, engraved truss cover, MB serial number.)

That made for the only sig model I ever wanted, simply because I'd gotten to play her more or less blind. (I normally oppose sig models.) Almost two weeks ago, the dream came true! And mine plays even better than the one I played in that store.

My experience normally is, if she plays great in the store, she'll play great when you take her home. One good way to be sure is if the store where you're buying has the amp of your choice when you try her out.

3. smallbutmighty

smallbutmighty Supporting Member

It's happened to me many times.

I need time with a guitar, in real world gigging/recording situations, to tell if it is really for me.

That's why I now only buy used guitars.

4. supergenius365

supergenius365 Silver Supporting Member

5. paulscape

paulscape Member

It's funny when you ask to try out a $4000 guitar and they put you through a cheap Roland cube.

6. filtersweep

filtersweep Member

Half the guitars at GC play like poorly set-up used guitars.... at least in my recent experience. Few were intonated properly, action was uneven, and they appeared used. Maybe this all has something to do with their return policy, now that you mention it.

The other issue is that it is difficult to try a guitar surrounded by kids playing smoke on the water, sweet child of mine, and god-only-knows what else at full volume.

I'd much prefer playing through an amp I am familiar with (my own).

7. shane88

shane88 Member

i spend as much time as i need to with a guitar in a store - if i see something that looks cool i'll look it over first & then play it

i may sit there for an hour or more looking for a reason not to buy it

to me there's no point walking out with a guitar unless ur certain it's gonna work out

8. dsmc80

dsmc80 Member

Don't like your new Gibby, eh?

9. Nickstrtcstr

Nickstrtcstr Lactose Intolerant Guitar Slinger

I had it happen with my 04 SSS Fender Stratocaster when I bought it 04. I played 4 or 5 Strats and this one played the best. I brought it home and enjoyed it until I A/B'ed it with my 99 SSS. They both played very well but the 99 had a more shimmery high end. I played the 04 sporadically but never really went over the moon over it. Last year I bought a loaded HSS pickguard off eBay and threw that in. It became my number 1. It is still the one I reach for when I go down to play.

10. cutaway

cutaway Supporting Member

and it's usually with a chord with a short in it. :facepalm

11. GulfportBound

GulfportBound Member

I guess I've avoided the gag. Whenever I asked to try out a Les Paul reissue, I was lucky enough to get store workers who asked for my amp preferences. Either they knew what they were doing, or figured I must have known what I was doing. Or, I just got lucky to catch them on their better days.

12. loudboy

loudboy Member

I got a really great deal on a used Grosh Retro Classic at GC, but I just never bonded with it, no matter how much I dinked around with the setup, strings, etc.

Wound up selling for what I paid for it, no big deal.

13. jimmyohio75

jimmyohio75 Member

Well it sounds great and it's nice and light but the fret ends are sticking out excessively far. When I bought the guitar I expressed concern over this issue and the GC manager told me that the guitar was stored in a warehouse before it was shipped and the humidity (or lack thereof) has caused the neck to shrink. he said this happens all the time and it will go back to normal over time. I took the guitar to my favorite guitar tech and he told me that it's not necessarily true that the neck will "go back to normal over time". He said it may expand a little but chances are good that without major fret work it may not play up to its full capabilites. I have owned over 10 Les Pauls in the last 15 years and none of them have had this bad of a fret issue. I'm starting to think that this is unacceptable for a $1000 guitar and I will always have buyer's remorse if I keep it. I am going back to GC tomorrow with the intention of playing every LP in the store until I find one that feels perfect (not from a setup standpoint but from a fretwork standpoint). I know I can always get it set up to my liking by my tech buddy. I am hoping to give back the LP I just bought and exchange it for another one that will work for me. I know that GC, although they have a 30 day return policy they still aren't real happy when you return a $1000 guitar so I plan to try and buy something else in the store. If this fails there are 2 more GC stores within 40 miles of me. I may check out the other stores to find an LP that will work. Can I return a guitar to ANY GC store or do I have to take it back to the same one that I bought it from?

14. BEACHBUM

BEACHBUM Member

I've returned over half the guitars I've bought. That's why I buy all of my guits at GC. I hate the place but they let you return anything. Can't lose.

15. brianr0131

brianr0131 Member

Jim....if the fret sprout is the only issue it should be a $40-$50 fix with a half decent tech. I think it's strange that your tech said major fret work about fret sprout.

Anyway, the time to fix that is now.....actually the time kinda passed unless you get right on it. GC was right bout the wood expanding again....probably may or so. When you file down the fret ends to offset the sprout it's best to do in winter when the wood is at it's dryest so you never have the issue again.

I'm sorry you're having an issue though. You could probably talk GC into filing.....but I don't know if I'd let them if I were you.

16. jimmyohio75

jimmyohio75 Member

Yeah, not sure I trust GC to do any tech work. I just kinda feel that I shouldn't have to "settle" on a $1000 guitar. My gut tells me that when I go in there tomorrow they are going to try and convince me to let their "tech" work on it and "fix it". I kinda have it in my head that this guitar is "damaged goods" and I will always have buyer's remorse, ya know?

17. brianr0131

brianr0131 Member

I understand.....Although I firmly believe that fret sprout is no big deal at all. Wood moves......if you fix it in the winter or dry months it's a one time thing guaranteed.

18. vortexxxx

vortexxxx Member

I usually play electric guitars unplugged in the stores mainly because it'll sound different with my amps.

19. Shredinator

Shredinator Member

Well, I played a BEAT TO **** Jackson USA SL1 at a guitar center and it was the best guitar I've ever put hands on! I tried to talk them down to what I thought was reasonable based on the BEAT TO SHITTEDNESS! They wouldn't come off of it so I let it go. Then later oredered a different not BEAT TO SHITTEDNESS SL2 from GC and damn if it wasn't even better? Maybe I just Jackson USA guitars? But it opened my eyes to Jackson guitars. I wouldn't have played it at all but I thought hell, a USA Jackson and I can talk them down. Well, in the end they got my money on a different guitar, but I got a Soloist! Yeah me! Oh then a KV2, then an RR1! Damn it's dangerous for my bank account to go near a Guitar Center!

20. jjp

jjp Senior Member

I find this odd. The two stores in Toronto that I frequent the most often, if you ask for a custom shop (behind the counter, or out of reach) they just hand it to you and you can go pick any amp you want. No one follows you around, or otherwise asks what amp you want to play through.