Ever buy a guitar, then sell it, then buy a 2nd time?

jordans0nly

Silver Supporting Member
This one:

View media item 110669
2010 CS Les Paul (I put old, purple wire PAT #. pickups in it)
That's a beaut. I did it when I bought, sold, then bought and sold again the Gibson Midtown Custom. Then bought a PRS SE Cu24 Sweetwater exclusive and thought, "well, maybe I want another singlecut", returned it. But that Cu24 was great, just thought the grass was greener.

buddyboy

Gold Supporting Member
That's a beaut. I did it when I bought, sold, then bought and sold again the Gibson Midtown Custom. Then bought a PRS SE Cu24 Sweetwater exclusive and thought, "well, maybe I want another singlecut", returned it. But that Cu24 was great, just thought the grass was greener.
That exact SG was the same guitar I bought, sold and then bought again! I had sold it on Reverb and found it a year later here on the Emporium. I made money on the sale and bought it for less the second time!

Chicago Slim

I once sold my PRS Swamp Ash Special to fund a Heritage H535. I sold it to my buddy, thinking that I might want it back. The neck of the H535 was small for me, and my buddy liked it. So, I swapped the H535 for the SAS.

I later re-sold the SAS to buy my third (and best), PRS Starla. I still have that Starla, and have sold the other two that weren't as nice.

Jay Will

Nope, I’ve never sold or gave away a guitar I liked. If it got sold or given away, it was because of some issue I was having and either didn’t want to fix it or it just wasn’t worth it.

aussie_owner

Did something similar with an amp. Traded cash and amp for a guitar. A few months later I see my amp on CL, for the same price I paid originally, along with a stand and padded cover, so I bought it back and still have it.

Laurence

Silver Supporting Member
Same type? Yes. Same color as prior model? No. Same exact guitar? No, but I'd sure like to!

There are a few I would buy again, after the lamentation of selling it, but they don't come up for sale, which is probably the main reason I regret selling.

I've done this a few times. Sell it, think you're GASing for something else, then to realize that what you had, was actually the sound you wanted? I know I can't be the only one, lol.
I've found that generally when I sell a guitar, there's a good reason for it (it's not getting enough play for one reason or another, I have another guitar that does the same thing better or is higher end, etc). If I think I might regret letting something go, it always stays in the stable.

I have bought, sold, and then bought back guitars about 3 times over the course of many years playing...in all 3 instances it was actually the EXACT guitar I sold (two popped back up on Craigslist and one I grabbed at GC when it changed hands there), and all 3 of those guitars have since been sold again.

Of course this is just my experience as someone who luckily hasn't ever really "needed" to sell a guitar, so my decision to part with them was purely based on what I mentioned above. I imagine if you had to get rid of a guitar for financial reasons my experience wouldn't apply and someone would be thrilled to get that guitar back later on down the line.

Aslan

Silver Supporting Member
I owned a Eric Clapton Strat 10 years ago and sold it, ever since I have missed that guitar and one came up for sale last week that was was identical to mine so now I have a EC Strat again and loving it.

Trending Topics