Ever buy a guitar, then sell it, then buy a 2nd time?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by jordans0nly, Jul 5, 2019.

1. Axeaholic

Axeaholic Supporting Member

It was a Tele Partscaster ... bastard made me pay more than what I sold it to him at

2. McShred

McShred Supporting Member

I've don that with couple guitars. I've bought 3-4 SG's...sold every one of them. Currently on my fourth EBMM Luke too :)

3. Riffzilla

Riffzilla Member

Yeah I'm going back to Les Pauls after selling off both of mine for daft prices. Still hoping my MIJ one comes back up for sale.

jordans0nly likes this.
  4. Falsecrack

Falsecrack Supporting Member

If you mean, have I bought the same model of guitar, more than once, No

If you mean, have I bought the very same guitar more than once, the answer is still no.

So my answer would be no.

But if either is your thing, then more power to you.

5. nowhere

nowhere Member

Three times: Back in the 90's I bought a red Yamaha SG-3 (not the double humbucker Yamaha SG's - the offset style guitars that were the first Yamaha solidbodies) and a sunburst Yamaha SG-3 within a couple of months. A few years later I sold both of them figuring it would be easy to find another one in the future. Fast forward into the 21st century and... I've recently bought a red Yamaha SG-3 and a Sunburst Yamaha SG-3 in the past couple of years after finally finding some available locally. The guitar purchases were preceded by finding a red Yamaha SB-2 bass. If I'm lucky I'll find an SG-12 locally and complete the set.

The other time was the result of me selling my first good guitar, a circa-1990 SG I bought new, after slicing a tendon in my hand. Six months after the accident my hand was still weak and numb so I figured that was it for guitar playing for me. Six months after selling the guitar my hand was almost as good as new - full healing just took a long time. I finally got another SG back in the early 2000's.

6. FlamesAreWicked

FlamesAreWicked Member

I’ve done that very thing with SGs... I think this is my 5th or 6th time around lmao.. may not play it every time I plug in but I’m sure glad to have it when the mood strikes.. I wind up selling it to fund something else since it isn’t my #1 go-to

7. MkIIC+

MkIIC+ Supporting Member

I miss my Seymour Duncan 100 watt Convertible...

David B and Mincer like this.
  8. Page of Cups

Page of Cups Member

It's been staring at me from Reverb for a month...​
    [​IMG]
    I don't need it. I don't need to want it. I don't want to want it. I want it.​

Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
  9. adjeff2706

adjeff2706 Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

Yep.
    Yamaha 1511MS Mike Stern - 3 times.
    Yamaha SA2200 - 2 times.

PSLUAN likes this.
  10. jota

jota Member

I'd buy back a Squier Cabronita that I sold stupidly cheap a few years ago. Unfortunately the owner wants to keep it.

11. Yamaha 1421

Yamaha 1421 Supporting Member

Yep..................just did that. Back in 1998 bought a Fender Jeff Beck Artist Series Stratocaster in Midnight Purple. Sold it shortly after. Loved the guitar but I needed to sell it to get another amplifier. Forward to March 2019...................I found another one in like new condition so..................I have one back again[​IMG]

12. johnygold

johnygold Silver Supporting Member

I bought back a guitar I traded that had sentimental value once. It came up for sale a few years after I sold it locally. It went through a couple of hands but I immediately identified it by the pictures and snagged it back the day I was leaving for vacation. I had to penny pinch the whole trip as I didn’t have much money back then but I still own it and will never sell it!

I also sold a guitar last year to buy another one and regretted it right after. I offered the guy who bought it 500 over what he paid multiple times and he said “no thanks” every time!!!

13. Teleman

Teleman Supporting Member

Yup. On my third PRS DGT. I think this one is gonna stick.

14. halcyon

halcyon Member

No, but sometimes I very much wish that I could.

15. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Member

Last year I had a shot a very lovely Les Paul that was hanging prominently on the local store wall and decided I had to have it. I traded a 2001 Taylor 710ce and some cash for it.

[​IMG]

I love the Les Paul, but because that 710ce had served me really well in the studio I regretted letting it go almost before I did. That was a special period for the 700s with some nice rosewood and tops of Englemann spruce that made them very responsive. As we were driving home from the sale, my lovely, supporting wife let the cat out of the bag that the 710ce was her favorite of my acoustics. I immediately started searching for another. After six months I came across a 2004 710ce that was in NOS condition and being sold at fire sale prices from a dealer who was trying to eliminate as much stock as possible before a move. Et Voile'! It is back and wife is happy.

[​IMG]

There are a couple items from my past that had to go to make space when my family grew that I missed and eventually re-bought, including an EP-3 Echoplex. Once again I found one in near NOS condition to replace it. In fact, I just replaced the drive belt on this guy and it is happily echoing away.

[​IMG]

Bob

16. Lt Dak

Lt Dak Supporting Member

I sold a 90s Ibanez rg520qs to GC. Bought back that same exact guitar from a different GC the next year.

I also sold a black silhouette w/floyd and rosewood board, and about a year later bought the same model in white with a maple board.

17. AlanH

AlanH Member

I sold an Epiphone Les Paul Standard I'm honeyburst to buy a Gibson Les Paul Special Faded HB in honeyburst.

18. exactopposite

exactopposite Member

I'm really picky about guitars. When I buy one I intend to keep it for life. In 20+ years of playing I have only ever sold 2 guitars. 1 was the first guitar I ever bought which had this god awful floyd rose contraption that I learned was not for me. The other was a guitar that was bought for me by a girlfriend. I sold it after we broke up.

jordans0nly likes this.
  19. David B

David B Silver Supporting Member

Nope, I never sell guitars that I already like to buy anther guitar I think I might like more. I hold my cards if I don't have the cash, that new guitar jones can be fleeting, especially after you have been playing it for a few days.

20. CanadianClassicRocker

CanadianClassicRocker Member

Yes, I bought this American Standard Stratocaster new in 2007, as a backup.

After the band I was in folded, I sold it to a friend who wanted his daughter to learn how to play.

After they both realized she wouldn't become a musician, I bought it back, installed a set of Lollar pickups, and now it's one of my favourite guitars.

and I can think of at least 20 other guitars that I sold over the years that I wish I could buy back....

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 6, 2019