Ever buy a guitar, then sell it, then buy a 2nd time?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by jordans0nly, Jul 5, 2019.

1. hoffmanj

hoffmanj Silver Supporting Member

Over the course of a few years, I bought a first-year 1982 blonde ES-335 dot reissue, sold it to a guy online, bought it back from him, and then sold it to him again. It was a really nice guitar but I finally realized I’m just not a humbucker fan.

2. doublescale1

doublescale1 CS336 w/Fralin P92's Gold Supporting Member

I live on the east side of metropolitan Detroit
    I had a very nice ES335 way back in '91. Temporary insanity set in and I sold it. It didn't take long to regret that. I was fortunate enough (and was patient) to find another one three years later used - this one checked all the box's, was only $1,650.00 so I pulled the trigger. I put a set of Peter Florence (RIP) '59's in it and it's been a great guitar for many years now.
    [​IMG]

jordans0nly likes this.
  3. majorbanjo

majorbanjo Member

I've sold 3 Martin D18 1937 Authentic's since 2007...bought another one within a year of selling them......

I bought a R5 Reissue Gibson Les Paul wrap tail gold top with P90's about 10 years ago that is Prototype #1 of that run and the previous own contacts me about once a year to try and buy it back....

4. TubeStack

TubeStack Supporting Member

I just did this.

Four years ago, I traded in this Custom Shop LP Special towards an R9, at a shop about an hour from where I live.

From time to time, I’d think about the Special and wish I’d been able to keep it, it was such a great guitar, but then remind myself how much I loved the R9.

Then, a couple of weeks ago, I spotted the Special listed online - from a seller halfway across the country - bought it, and had it shipped back to me (the actual same guitar, not just the same model).

Now I have both guitars, four years later. Still can’t believe it!

Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
    jordans0nly likes this.
  5. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

I've done it with one guitar. I mean, the same guitar.

6. your name here

your name here Supporting Member

Yep.

The PRS McCarty in McCary Burst w/moons and a nice, but non-10 top. They play and look gorgeous, but I’ve had two and just can’t seem to keep them. Something is just.... I dunno. Lacking in the sound. I guess it’s a complexity thing, or maybe they just hit my ears wrong. They’re like, really good, but just not.... great. And I have no desire to play musical pickups.

Bought a gorgeous Custom 22 at the same time as the last McCarty and it wasn’t a keeper either.

My humbucker itch is scratched by R9’s and my Huber Krautster II, though. Those do it for me. The Krautster in particular being just about the best sounding and most versatile guitar I’ve ever played altogether, though I love my CS ‘63 Tele dearly and it’s a complete beast.

7. orourke

orourke Member

My old bass player (may he rest in peace) was also a horn player. He sold his baritone horn and then years later started play marching band ringer gigs and needed it back. He called the guy who was still at the same number, and bought it back from him - twenty years later!

8. Joshua Bernstein

Joshua Bernstein Supporting Member

I'm thinking of doing this with one of the new supros. I had one briefly, got it for dirt cheap and loved it. I sold it to fund a jazzmaster purchase (which was worth it, the jazzmaster is glorious and I'll never get rid of it if I can help it) but I miss that weird looking thing. It was a lot of fun to play.

9. zum

zum Member

I've done it a few times and I always end up selling them again. Either they aren't the same as the first one or I remember why I sold it in the first place.

10. Pahom

Pahom Member

Sold a V, immediately regretted it, bought another a few months later.

11. telest

telest Member

Done it with guitars, amps, pedals :bonk

12. Snail

Snail Member

I never have myself, but back when I was heavily into trading and sending out and receiving 2-3 guitars a month, it happened at least twice that a guy sold/traded me a guitar and then asked to buy/trade it back from me.

Both times they said they really regretted it and were very happy to get the guitars back.

It taught me never to trade or sell anything I like (and fortunately I’ve never had to for financial reasons).

13. Ron Thorn

Ron Thorn Gold Supporting Member

Yes, and a classic car or two.

14. cosmic_ape

cosmic_ape Supporting Member

15. m.e.

m.e. Freelance Bio-exorcist Silver Supporting Member

Yep. 52 AVRI Tele. Bought one new in 2007. Traded it away and regretted shortly after. Picked up another (not the exact one I traded) a few years ago.

16. pedalparty

pedalparty Member

Ive done it.

I also sold it a second time.

17. fenderjapan

fenderjapan World Heavyweight Champion Silver Supporting Member

Amps and pedals yes, guitars no.

But I would buy back my Fender H1 Texas Tele if I got the chance.

18. CanuckChris

CanuckChris Supporting Member

I've done it with wah's a few times. They're big and bulky and I don't use them enough so I've sold them off...then decided I needed one again!

The good thing is I haven't lost money on them. Wah's are a dime a dozen used and built like a tank. Each time I've done a quick mod to install an on/off led and true bypass (things people seem to be looking at for a wah), and sold them at a profit. Easiest pedal built to mod, everyone should start with this if they're thinking of getting their feet wet in the pedal building world.

19. Black&Blue

Black&Blue Member

A Gibson ES-175, and a Telecaster. Thankfully I sold the 175 to a friend, immediately regretted it, and my friend allowed me to buy it back for the same price I sold it to him for. I've always been on the fence playing teles since I was a teenager (my 1st guitar was a hand-me-down tele), but once I was tele-less, I realized how much I had come to just loving that sound. So, I bought another, and then another, etc.

20. weedzzz

weedzzz Member

I always come back to the Fender Toronado’s that they made in the late 90’s/early 2000’s.

For a little while i get into Jazzmaster’s and Rickenbacker’s but in the end i keep buying a Toronado again. Strange really because it’s a guitar with humbuckers, Gibson scale length, 4 controls etc..almost Fender’s take on a Gibson, but it just works for me even though the music i make is generally suited to bright single coil sounds.

I think the Toronado is just my guitar and i can make it work. I’m not selling the ones i have now. It’s the 3rd time i’ve come back to them, so i’ve learned my lesson now.