Ever buy a guitar, then sell it, then buy a 2nd time?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by jordans0nly, Jul 5, 2019.

1. weedzzz

weedzzz Member

I always come back to the Fender Toronado’s that they made in the late 90’s/early 2000’s.

For a little while i get into Jazzmaster’s and Rickenbacker’s but in the end i keep buying a Toronado again. Strange really because it’s a guitar with humbuckers, Gibson scale length, 4 controls etc..almost Fender’s take on a Gibson, but it just works for me even though the music i make is generally suited to bright single coil sounds.

I think the Toronado is just my guitar and i can make it work. I’m not selling the ones i have now. It’s the 3rd time i’ve come back to them, so i’ve learned my lesson now.

2. Brooks

Brooks Member

yes. 5 or 6 hamer duotones, some different colors, one w/ P90s, all back in the 2000s.

yes also to the same specific guitar, a cheaper modded Ibanez that I sold to a buddy when I got a Prestige Ibanez, then bought back a few years later when I sold the Prestige.

3. markmann

markmann Member

I got the same guitar back TWICE. Les Paul - traded with a friend for a Fender Electric 12. Friend asked if we could trade back and I agreed. Sold LP to band mate who later got into financial trouble so I bought it back.

4. Strat-cat

Strat-cat Member

I sold my first guitar, a beater Alvarez acoustic, on CL for $100 about 10 years ago because I had more or less no use for it. I often search to see if it's been reposted there, but that's the only guitar I would buy back. Everything else was sold for a reason, and I have everything I need.

5. C-4

C-4 Member

I love Red Bank, NJ! Florida now Europe later
    I've bought and sold Teles, Strats, 3X5's and LP's all of my playing life.

6. GreenKnight18

GreenKnight18 Member

I did this with a Gibson Firebird VII. Bought it back, refinished it, changed pickups. AND THEN I GOT RID OF IT AGAIN.

Firebirds are now on my list of "cool looking guitars that don't work for me."

7. IIIBOOMERIII

IIIBOOMERIII Member

Yesterday I bought my brother-in-law's '79 Les Paul Custom, again!

He bought it brand new in 1979. He decided to sell it to me in 1986, children and a
    new house came first. He then wanted to buy it back from me after about 3 or 4
    years, so I sold it back to him.

He called me yesterday and wanted to liquidate his electric guitars and now I own his
    LP Custom again. This was the first Les Paul I ever owned, the first time I purchased
    it from him, I was in a band in high school. It has been a part of my guitar playing life and
    it has a soft spot in my heart and I am glad to have her back again.

That being said, if he were to ask to buy it back again, I would. AND....I would buy it back from
    him, AGAIN.

8. Rachmaninoff

Rachmaninoff Member

I'm genuinely interested in seeing the Suhr Modern Satin with the new finish.

9. Benderp

Benderp Supporting Member

Thats really cool of both of you

10. zygoat

zygoat Supporting Member

Yes, a Suhr Classic T double humbucker with trem in magenta pink, bought twice through the emporium and I stupidly sold it again. I wonder who has it now, it was such a killer guitar.

11. Ejphotos

Ejphotos Supporting Member

Yeah, a couple years ago I traded my '95 Les Paul Studio that I had for 11 years for a '17 Les Paul Traditional. I was happy with the trade, but I always wondered where the Studio ended up because the guy I traded with sold the Studio pretty much right away. I had several Studios since then but sold them all quickly because none matched my 95. Then, this week, my old '95 resurfaced again, and quite locally too, so yesterday I got it back! Not a thing was changed on it, not even the strings lol. Exactly how I left it.
    Sheptone AB Custom pickups, Bourns 500k pots and Russian PIO caps. Creme plastics. Black top hat with gold reflector knobs, and thumbcutters.

[​IMG]

12. Bossanova

Bossanova Silver Supporting Member

Yup... and then sold it again, having suddenly remembered why I had gotten rid of it the first time!

13. Exodus5

Exodus5 Supporting Member

Ask and ye shall receive. It was finished by Lee Garver at GMW Guitarworks.

Rachmaninoff likes this.
  14. Rachmaninoff

Rachmaninoff Member

I love the Modern Satin for being lightweight, and its original finish is really thin. It may be a really dumb question, but I've gotta ask: does this new finish add preceptible weight to the guitar?

15. Mark Robinson

Mark Robinson Member

When I was real young, my dad drove me to a pawn shop to purchase a sixties Epiphone Sorrento. We parked and I said, "let's go!" fully expecting my dad to help me get the best possible deal. He said, "no Mark, your'e going in there and you can do it yourself". I argued, lost, went in, did the deal, $250 out the door, with a cable thrown in. It was a big victory for me.

Years later, I wasn't playing it, we were buying our first real estate. I sold it as part of the rally to raise a down payment, I wasn't going to sell my Strat or Marshall of course.

Then my dad got sick, and mentioned that day when we bought the guitar, so I began the badgering and negotiation with my co-worker to whom I'd sold it. Didn't go very well until he started the process of a divorce and then I was able to snag it back.

Generically speaking, I've had a few vintage P-90 slab Les Pauls come and go. The one I've got now is sticking rather well.

16. Exodus5

Exodus5 Supporting Member

No added weight that you would be able to discern.

Rachmaninoff likes this.