Ever feel an affinity to some place?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Turi, Dec 8, 2016.

1. Turi

Turi Member

For as long as I can remember, there's always been this one place that I want to go.

Always wanted to go there.

Something about the place just calls me, and I think about it a lot.. not 24/7, but every now and then I get what I can only describe as some weird kind of nostalgic feeling of sorts about this place.. or places, as the case may be.

Before I die, I have to go to New Jersey and New York. I simply have to or something in my life won't be complete.

It's weird. I know so many people who say they want to visit Australia. So many times, it's QLD - my state. They want to go to the gold coast. See the reef. Etc etc.

Here I am wishing I could visit some freezing cold joint everybody probably wants to leave. Weird, isn't it?

But I can't help it. Can't shake it.
    Need to visit Asbury Park. Long Island. Etc. I realise this is different states but to me, from the other side of the world - same place, same trip no doubt.

Anyone else get these feelings?
    If so, where for?

2. Average Joe

Average Joe Member

There are different kinds of affinity I believe.

There is the bucket list - places I want to visit before die. I've check some of those off the list. Rome was a big one. New York is still on the list, probably the biggest one on it. Pompeii is another one Fun thing is, once I've visited one of those places ther is a sense of closure about it. Don't get me wrong, I could go to Rome tomorrow and have a wonderful time, but the urgency is gone.

Then there is the affinity of belonging. I've been to Paris 7 or 8 times. From the first second I set foot in it I felt at home, a sense of belonging, that I can't remember feeling about another place. There is something about the rhythm, sounds, people, colours, whatever that resonate with me in a peculiar way. Especially the decidedly un-posh neighbourhood I usually stay in.

And then there's that third kind. My absent father was from what was then Jugoslavia. I'm sure he's long gone, but I feel a need to connect with the land. That makes no kind of rational sense, which bugs me, but there it is

playsarobin, Charlie48, Mngwa and 6 others like this.
  3. Turi

Turi Member

Average Joe and Outlaw like this.
  4. bonegrubber

bonegrubber Supporting Member

Yeah, and oddly enuff, you nailed mine....Australia. Took a year after I graduated uni and backpacked that classic loop - 6wks Hawaii, 10 wks NZ, 6 mo's AU and 6wks in the Fijian Islands. Super glad I did it. Looking back, it was sorta at a time before my life began - you're coming out of that unreality that uni is, before you hit that eye peeler of "oh...shite, so THIS is the world."

Gives you perspective...
    No matter the destination.
    Hope you can make your journey Turi. Cheers.

Outlaw likes this.
  5. teofilrocks

teofilrocks Supporting Member

Well, having lived in NY for 8 years at one point and spending more time in NJ than I'd like, I have to say your dream is a bit of head scratcher. Visiting the Big Apple? Sure I understand that. But ... New Jersey?? Well, it's you're dream and I hope you get to fulfill it and that it satisfies your expectations.

You're right about Australia, though. In grade school some of us kids would play a game where we'd spin a globe, hold our finger out over a spot, and wherever the spinning globe stopped, that's we'd have to live. I'd always point my finger at the bottom of the globe, hoping to land on Australia.

Like @Average Joe, though, Paris was the place that felt like home the first time I visited. I was 18 then, and I've gone back a number of times in the years since. It felt like a place that fully understood "working to live" is better than "living to work". My wife just saw $500 RT tickets. Maybe it's time to go again?

6. Velvert

Velvert Member

For me, Ojai: Ojai is a small city in Ventura County, California, northwest of Los Angeles. Set in a valley in the Topatopa Mountains. I go to Ojai to get Re-balanced my self when I'm feeling a bit run down and lost. It kind of like gets me cantered again.

derekd and Outlaw like this.
  7. NewLeaf09

NewLeaf09 Member

My ex-wife, who had never lived anywhere else other than where she was born, gave me a card when I left on an adventure which had printed in it something like, "I believe it is entirely possible to be homesick for a place I've never been." It was perfect for my state of mind.

derekd likes this.
  8. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Member

The last thing on my bucket list was to visit NYC & go see SNL.
    It took two visits, but I managed to get in to SNL the 2nd time.
    Just go in the Summer, to avoid the cold.

9. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

Interesting topic.

There are a couple of places for me, Scotland and the PNW. I'd love to go to the Seatle and Vancouver areas. My sense is, if I went, I wouldn't want to come back.

jamess likes this.
  10. strumnhum

strumnhum Member

Just outside Shrewsbury Pa., are two reservoirs, Lake Williams and Lake Redman. Don't know if they still do, but there used to be excellent mtn. bike (bicycle) trails throughout. One started out from a parking lot and went right along Lake Williams, the trail was right on the waters edge, not more than a few inches higher than water level. Then you would climb a hill to the top of ridge, overlooking a horseshoe bend, and in the "elbow" of the bend was a very tall pine (say 50-60 ft.), in which eagles made their nest. One of the most beautiful places I've seen. Used to spend hours riding the bike trails, the overlook mentioned was my favorite site. Hope those trails are still there--would like to go back on vacation and ride them again.

Dr. Zorlac likes this.
  11. Tommy Biggs

Tommy Biggs Member

Interesting thread - I'm a jersey guy.
    I was in Asbury Park this spring and ran into a guy from Oz who was on a bit of a springsteen pilgrimage he was taking selfies and such so I took a few shots for him.
    I've been a few places (including Australia several times), Paris is the place that got me most.
    I want to see the US Western states though. Monument Valley, Bryce, Zion, Mesa, Craters of the moon, the Badlands too.

12. Dave Shoop

Dave Shoop Member

The womb ? A comedian said we spend 9 months trying to get out and the rest of our lives trying to get back in. Pretty clever line really.

On a more serious note there is a metro park that once was a family owned swimming lake. I spent my summers there with friends and family. My parents have passed away and my brother and sister didn't remain in the area. I left the area myself for a while but returned. Now the park is owned by the county (?) and they did a fantastic job with it. I go there almost daily and I can almost feel or envision myself as a kid swimming and playing there. It's a good place for me.

13. Stu Cats

Stu Cats Member

14. The Funk

The Funk Member

The San Francisco bay area. I lived there from 10-13. Still feels like home when I visit, more so than where I actually live.

Then again, Boston's South End was home to me for seven years. I work near there now. It feels more like home than the place I lived for 6 years after.

Mngwa likes this.
  15. AZChilicat

AZChilicat Member

I'm lucky because I feel a huge affinity for my house and the little part of the world it's located in. Sure, there are other places I want to visit, maybe even live in for a spell, but my house is the center of the world for me.

Mngwa, Sidmore, derekd and 1 other person like this.
  16. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

Who knew a Canadian would feel more at home in the desert?

17. Otto Tune

Otto Tune Member

Be careful what you wish for.

18. Bob T.

Bob T. Member

Northern Lower Michigan.

I spent my childhood years growing up on ten acres and across from a huge cornfield. It felt like the middle of nowhere, and none of my friends were close by. I was convinced that I needed to leave and get as far away as possible; never look back, just keep moving forward and farther. Then I took my first trip back up with my wife. We both knew it. We both felt it. While we may never get the chance to live in such a place that we hold sacred, we know deep down that it is where we belong.

19. buddyboy69

buddyboy69 Member

i did when i was younger but i satisfied those feelings and am content where i am. I have no desires to really go anywhere anymore. Now we are searching for a house in the woods though so i guess thats the last of it. i do think that would be nice.

20. Jason Calieri

Jason Calieri Silver Supporting Member

This valley in Iceland. Could've happily sat down and just died there. Felt a huge connection. Not sure why.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Probos, kristian, BlueHeaven and 2 others like this.