Ever feel like giving up sometimes?

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by sage97, Aug 24, 2006.

1. sage97

sage97 Member

coz I do right this very minute.

Practiced with the band an hour ago and I just couldn't keep up. My mind kept wandering to other things like work, parenthood and my house that I just put up on the market.

I sucked big time tonight! The guys ought to get another guitarist and I probably need to sell all my gear and take up knitting or something.

2. Sub-D

Sub-D Guest

All the time, but I have learned to turn that self negativity into motivation to improve.
    I think as musicians we are often our own worst critics...
    Being able to focus on the music while you are playing and letting all those
    other distractions of life dissappear, is one of joys of playing...learning
    to put yourself "in the moment" everytime is difficult to say the least.
    I wouldn't beat yourself up about it, it happens to everyone......

3. yZe

yZe Senior Member

Tampa, on the Territory of Florida (D.C. Free Zone
    In all seriousness, if you did that - you'd seriously regret it
    EVERY LAST ONE of my friend's that did that wound up getting a rig again out of regret

The troubles of life make me play meaner. Perhaps you should find an open blues jam somewhere and 'spress yo self

4. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

I feel like this a lot- and I majored in classical guitar.

I worked full time through school and started the major pretty green. I don't have quite the same experience/work ethic and mainly- the confidence of a lot of people that went to school with me.

BUT- I started it because the music business major was soulless and I wanted to at least get a start learning something wonderful. So, I try to see myself as more of an advanced hobbyist. I would love to do more with it, but I am too stressed out and compulsively unproductive it seems... oh, well...

5. jmadill

jmadill Gold Supporting Member

Do you remember that time it felt so good to be playing?

It was great, wasn't it?

-jm

6. Noah

Noah Supporting Member

I feel like giving up playing with a band sometimes, because it's so hard to find cool people who actually have a clue. Playing guitar is great fun, so no reason to give up!:dude

7. sage97

sage97 Member

It's just that sometimes when you try really hard to sound good but you don't.......the sun ain't so bright. This is specially true when your part makes or breaks the song and others are depending on you.

But you're right man. This too shall pass.

8. jmadill

If you try to look at it honestly, you'll see it all makes perfect sense. We all go thru it, but its perfectly obvious why if we're willing to take responsibility.

You mentioned a few reasons in your first post. It's easy to get distracted if we allow ourselves to, but when the music is great, it is because we are putting our whole self into the music, including our attention. One note at a time. Let each one go, and play the next. Focusing on a mistake, job, or whatever just keeps us from playing the next note.

There are only so many notes. What differentiates them is the intention and energy we put into them. Make each one count. Sometimes that means putting more energy into our personal practice time. If we don't know the part, then learn it. If we know it, we should make it better ... and better.

Playing the same thing over and over again, exactly the same way just makes it automatic. The emotion we put in is what makes it personal.

I recently heard an interview with T-Bone Burnett, who said "I would never be in a band that I'm not the worst player."

Playing with better players can encourage us to be better. It raises the standard. We should put our effort into our craft, not self deprecation. Everyone needs to start somewhere, and sometimes we need a kick in the butt.

This was your kick in the butt. It's easy to quit at this point, but more rewarding to take the challenge.

-jm

9. jmadill

This needed to be repeated. Much wisdom in it.

-jm

10. Redbell

Redbell Member

When I get burned out I don't play, listen to or think about music for awhile.
    It's usually about a week until I can't resist the urge to JAM!

11. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

Guys-I had a left CVA on July 5,2006 with an accompanying right CVA and accompanying right sided weakness. I could not walk or use my right hand-not even to touch my right thumb to my right index finger. Wednesday was week 7-I have relearned to walk,I am driving,I am relearning 35 years of playing guitars at this time,in fact I am going out to do a gig tonight at the request of a friend for 50$ and a meal.So if you want to be distracted and unfocused-be my guest,I have a gig to do that I am frightened but excited about.Do not take anything for granted-life is too short.

12. Kappy

Kappy Member

I often struggle with wanting to be REALLY good and with just playing b/c I love music, love the guitar, and b/c I think playing music is fun. The whole striving to be REALLY good makes it really hard to just have fun sometimes. Striving is good, competing with yourself and with others is good, but when it's taken overboard, it's really anti-music and not very much fun at all.

FWIW, I actually quit playing for 6 years. But the part of me that loves music and the guitar called me back into it. Now that I'm playing again, I do the same thing with the striving. I try to accept it as part of my personality and not judge it too much, but also to be indulgent with myself and allow myself to just have fun with it. It's not how I make my living any more, so there's really no excuse not to have fun with it.

13. sage97

sage97 Member

Thanks for all the support guys.

OK, I've slept since I started the thread last night. Today is a new day and first thing I did when I woke up was pick up the guitar. What do you know, I'm nailing those parts that I struggled with last night. I did at least half a dozen times (before breakfast) and I'm still right on!

I'm going to back off some, and maybe try again a little later before practice tonight. Our gig is tomorrow (Saturday) night which still gives me plenty of time to today (after my day job) to get those parts "integrated within my system."

I'm not a whiner nor am I a quitter but last night was the most frustrated I've ever been and I seriously thought about hanging up the guitars after finishing my commitment this weekend.

Thank you again everyone for kicking some sense into me.

That's why this is one of my faveorite places to hang out.

14. TS808

TS808 Member

I never felt like giving up, but I go through periods where I feel like I'm in a rut, and everything I play sounds the same. Those times usually pass. When I hit those periods, I might put the guitar down for a day or two and write it off as just one of those times. I spend that time listening to more music and other folks' technique or tone. I look at is this way, I've been playing now for 35 years, and ain't gonna give it up now. Guitar has been a big part of my life, and an important one at that.

15. Hacksaw

Hacksaw Time Warped Gold Supporting Member

I too, am in the rut stage right now.. just cant pull anything off.. I know it happens. so I also get away from it for a few days.. do other stuff ,, then work through it. but its tough to get those really fast passages the older I get. I think thats has been more fustrating than anything. but I keep trying. and I keep looking for that perfect amp for me. that also messes with my wrinkled up brain.

16. dbx

dbx Member

I caught the tail-end of that interview some weeks back and was very inspired by that statement...lots of good thought in this thread...

17. jmadill

I agree. I think it was David Dye that was interviewing him, and when I heard it, it was a statement that really made me stop to think.

For me, playing guitar is the one thing that I do that is truly me. Because of that, I've decided that I will control it, and it's effect. If it is not going in a positive direction, I will do one of three things. I will act to change it's direction, I will decide to accept it, or I will walk away. Under no circumstances do I allow a negative situation, because that will affect my attitude in the music I create in a negative fashion.

If I don't like a song, I let people know, but I accept the majority vote and learn to play it the best that I can if that is the decision. It's not a contest between the players, but instead we have the intention of making the best music possible given the skill level of each individual. I don't want to play better than anyone else, I want to play the best I can to make the best music possible. We have to work together and listen to everyone to do that.

So who cares about a mistake? We're human, it happens. Let it go and move on. Play the next note. The past can only change the future if we let it, but thinking about the last note will affect the current and future notes.

someone said:
    I have found that to be the worse thing that I can do in that situation. The further away from my guitar that I stand, the more difficult it is to catch up to where I was. This can be good or bad, no doubt, but it takes me a while to catch up from day to day playing a minimum of an hour a day. Days off need to be for a really good reason.

Someone else said:
    As i said, I try not to stop at this point. I just work on something new. I do look for other influences, though, so I agree on that point.

I'm right there with you, and came to the same conclusion. I just wish I'd realized that earlier, but I'm glad I did.

Here's to the next 35 years of playing guitar, eh?

-jm

18. Broughie

Broughie Member

Good on ya mate. Getting back into playing the guitar or any activity for that matter is good rehab. The brain has an amazing ability to re-route those neuro pathways and you especially see this in persistent people. I wish you well.[​IMG]

Cheers

Wayne

19. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

Thanks Wayne-not many people know the other name for a stroke.The gig last night went about as I expected but I am not deterred as I am working on just those issues.Heck,I almost died 7 weeks ago.Every single day that I wake up is a new chance to make something wonderful and perhaps life changing occur and on top of all that,I really am improving-when you lose everything,anything is a miracle by God's own hand.Rerouting those neural pathways is enabling me to write again as well.:cool:

20. sage97

sage97 Member

Concidence.

A month ago, I was called to visit a guitar player with a R CVA patient (L sided hemiparesis) in Rehab. I was asked to lift his spirits up a bit. It went very well and I managed to change his mind about selling his gear too soon. He promised to hang in there and keep trying. We still keep in touch.

Good thing I was in good spirits myself at the time.