1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Ever feel like starting over with your Guitar Family?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Blingdogg, May 17, 2011.

1. Blingdogg

Blingdogg Member

Right now I have 7 guitars which I've gotten since I started playing guitar about 6 years ago. They're all mid-level or cheap guitars, and I feel like right now they're holding me back. Not really because of the price, but about 4 of them are either not that great to play, or redundant (I have 3 Strats, but honestly I'd be cool with just one).

So I'm thinking of selling my 2 Ibanez guitars because I don't like the thinner necks. And out of my 3 Strats, I'm going to sell 2.

I've found that the only guitars I really play are my excellent MIM Tele, and a Squier Strat that has an awesome neck. I'll keep my first guitar for sentimental reasons and for a beater guitar.

So I think I'd feel better having just those 2 or 3, then save up for a Les Paul or SG, whichever has the most mojo when I go to the guitar store.

Anyone else ever start over gear-wise, or dramatically thin the herd? I don't like having all these guitars around that I don't like or play. A Tele is my dream guitar, plus having a Strat and LP would be all that's really needed for my music. For a while I hung on to all my guitars for sentimental reasons, then now I realize they're all just tools. Get rid of what doesn't work for you. ​

2. DGTCrazy

DGTCrazy Moderator de Emporio Staff Member

My playing took off as soon as I invested in a Pro-grade instrument. I sold my car to get it....LOL.........I still can't believe I did that......:omg

3. Blingdogg

Blingdogg Member

Yeah I see what you mean. Those guitars served me well for my first years when I started to play, now I feel it's time to move up in quality. I really think it's why my playing hasn't progressed in a while.

4. Lemonhand

Lemonhand Member

I've gone from having 16 guitars down to 6, and could drop a couple more if need be. Realistically I only need one but having a variety is a nice luxury. Ultimately its just stuff, the most important thing is getting an instrument that inspires you to play.

5. ibyterawr

ibyterawr Member

Once you find your number one.. you won't want anything else.

6. straightblues

straightblues Member

Go for it. Buy used and you will always be able to switch guitars whenever the mood hits you. I have done this for many years. You end up with great gear at the end of the day.

7. MichaelSaulnier

MichaelSaulnier Member

I decided about 6 months ago, that if I had a guitar I wouldn't take out and play live... it was going to go.

That helped me shrink my herd considerably, and now I have a handful of very nice, very playable guitars that make it out to play in rotation!

Selling some of the ones you don't like to get one great one you will like is the TGP way!

M

8. paulscape

paulscape Member

Good move but watch out, soon you'll have 7 top shelf guitars!