Ever feel 'overdressed' at a jam with your boutique guitars/amps?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by blandy-rhoades, May 6, 2020.

1. Mike Duncan

Mike Duncan Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

[​IMG]

PRS / Timmy / MicroCube....it's a suit with running shoes.

Cgkindler, johnh and Dashface like this.
  2. Salt Lake Bob

Salt Lake Bob Member

ok now remember you mentioning Robby D; super talented, but bad habits... i think.

3. rockabilly69

rockabilly69 Supporting Member

exactly

4. Heinz W

Heinz W Genuine '66 Relic Gold Supporting Member

I think a guitar is a little bit easier to steal than a car. Of course people drive those cars, just like they play expensive vintage guitars, but mostly on nice sunny days for joyrides. Are you going to use that '65 Mustang as a daily driver in the Winter? More power to you if so.

5. Pongo

Pongo Member

Nah. Have not been in a single situation over the last decade where an old Tele and Reverend DAW through a low-watt combo amp won't cover all my bases and then some.

I rarely use my more expensive gear outside of the studio or for demos/lessons. Not out of a sense of embarrassment, but as I see it, practicality.

My favorite amp is a customized 100 watt Lone Star that sounds best through a beautiful, hand-built 4x12" beast of a cab... but it lives up two flights of stairs and I drive a small car. And even if getting it in the car were no hurdle, there's the issues of finding reasonably close parking downtown and inevitably getting off on the wrong foot with whoever's doing sound as I walk in with it lol. Much as I love that amp and cab, I've learned it's just not worth the hassle.

But at least I don't have to worry about anybody walking off with the cab. Which brings me to practicality issue number 2: I've been at too many gigs where even carefully guarded instruments and gear have gone missing. I've had guitars stolen from under my nose and caught people trying to shove everything under their coats from cables to an AC15. It just... happens. But at the end of the day, while I'd be gutted if someone ran off with an old Telecaster, it's not like I'd be out a ton of cash. If someone stole one of my Suhrs, though -- well, $700 vs $2300 is just... math. I wouldn't just be emotionally distraught, it'd be a much longer-lasting punch in the wallet. I watch my gear carefully regardless of its value, but going out with enticing newer, expensive guitars just adds a level of stress for me that isn't helpful.

DrJamie likes this.
  6. Sam Xavier

Sam Xavier Member

Never been to a jam and if I did, I wouldn't feel odd. My gear is decent but by TGP standards, run of the mill.

7. WillLane

WillLane Member

If you really wanted to flex on the MIM/DSL players, you'd bring your "jam session" or "fly rig" setup instead of your "pro-level setup". It's important to emphasize that not only do you have a pro setup, but you are so serious about guitar that you have a setup made specifically for jam sessions or small gigs.
    E, A, and D for 30 minutes while everyone fumbles around the E blues scale. Not often my cup of tea... I know I know, I'm a pretentious jerk.

RicardoDiazHimself likes this.
  8. dotlikeimpact

dotlikeimpact Member

To quote Kasey Musgraves, “Nobody needs a thousand dollar suit just to take out the trash.”

Cgkindler likes this.
  9. JackVanPage

JackVanPage Member

Is this why artificially distressed guitars became a thing?

10. PBGas

PBGas Supporting Member

If you have the chops to back it up regardless of what you play, no one is going to say anything about what you are playing.

11. MDrummey

MDrummey Member

This post is weird. The guitar community is full of insecure people. Just play whatever you want. Some people can afford expensive gear. We all know it doesn't make any difference in how you play.

Jack Pearson sounds like a god on a squier strat. Just show up to the jam with whatever you want and play. The gear doesn't matter at all.

12. GreatGreen

GreatGreen Member

"Hey guys! I'm here for the Wednesday night blues jam. Sorry I'm late, took a few minutes to get my stuff out of the car! Where's the stage so I can get my stuff plugged up?"

[​IMG]

13. snakestretcher

snakestretcher Member

No problem for me. I have an expensive guitar (Gretsch 6120 Nashville) and a cheap amp (Bandit 112). Doesn't seem to bother anyone else either. I don't do jams to show off my gear but to enjoy playing with other people.

14. edwarddavis

edwarddavis Silver Supporting Member

Not anymore
    Who cares

15. snakestretcher

snakestretcher Member

What a load of opinionated rubbish. See, many players can't afford expensive stuff; this dedication to their "craft" that you feel is lacking is clearly evidenced by the fact that they want to go out and play and show up at jams. Some day a kid with a cheap rig will show up at your jam and blow you away. It isn't about the gear, it's about what you do with it whether it's cheap or costly. You'll learn a lesson that day.

Last edited: May 9, 2020
    Cgkindler and sprawlstopper like this.
  16. Litterick

Litterick Member

A room full of rich men showing off their shiny new boutique gear would be unbearable. A rich man in a roomful of guitarists would be a curiosity.

snakestretcher, Cgkindler and JmpOne like this.
  17. Taylor Gretsch

Taylor Gretsch Member

What I’m getting from this is that I’m glad I wasn’t on message boards when I was an anthropology major in university.

Cgkindler likes this.
  18. Taylor Gretsch

Taylor Gretsch Member

Oh....that’s not meant as a joke? To each their own I guess.

19. MaxLikesIceCream

MaxLikesIceCream Member

The key word here is probably. A lot of people that play low end gear play it because they enjoy music as a hobby and don't want to spend crazy amounts of time or money on it. It's fun for them but they're not going to go make a living off of it. Some people play low end gear because that's all they can afford even though they are phenomenal players. I've seen a couple of incredible players (no older than 18 or 19) playing Squier Affinity series Strats that would blow me out of the water.

It's important to let the playing speak for itself. But it's tough not to chuckle and get a little judgemental of the guy that shows up with $10k worth of gear and plays sloppy pentatonic licks.

It's always WAAAAAY cooler to see amazing musicians battle a "crappy" instrument to make it sound amazing than to see a bad musician stumble through an uninspired solo on an incredible instrument.

Cgkindler likes this.
  20. 59burst

59burst Gold Supporting Member

I’ve been going to blues jams for about 30 years, in various cities in the US and now Canada. Over the years, I’ve brought everything from MIM reissue strats to homemade super strats to Gibson Historic LP/3x5, PRS MCarty, Fender CS including Cunetto, AVRI basses, you name it. I’ll let almost anyone one who is not drunk or high play my gear. I’ve seen people bring PRS Santana and even a Campellone archtop to dive bar jams. Both were owned by fabulous players.

Cgkindler likes this.