• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Ever feel you are putting hard work and effort into learning material not many will want to hear ?

supergenius365

Silver Supporting Member
That is what writing original songs is for me. They mean something to me and I (hopefully) like them, but I never expect that anybody else will. When somebody does, it’s a nice surprise.

M

Member 37136

those who have never heard of him and don't play guitar will take little to no interest at all.
I have heard of him and I do play guitar, and I would take little to no interest, either. Masturbation is fun, but is best done in private, IMO.

sertshark

Yep. It's kind of funny when you think about it. You learn/write/come up with something you think is gonna knock everyone's socks off, and at band rehearsal you say, "Hey guys, check this out..." and after playing it there is a moment of uncomfortable silence, and then everyone is like, "Ok, so anyways... what are we gonna work on first today." I don't know how much stuff I've come up with that ended up lasting in my guitar-toolbox exactly 3.5 minutes into rehearsal, and then disappeared with all the other not-gonna-fly ideas. If I am really for the idea I'll push a bit, but usually I drop it and figure I'll just go ahead and bring another crazy idea next rehearsal...

Matt Dillon

What about getting a degree in Classical Guitar Performance?

A lot of effort, but minimal employment opportunities!

OldN'inTheWay

I play for myself, to become a better musician and guitarist. I'm working on a couple Bach solo violin pieces. Not like I'm going to play them for anyone because I know 99.9999 % of people won't be interested, nor do I care. It's for my own benefit and satisfaction. I could care less what other people think is "good" or "popular."

mikey

After walking away from playing horrible cover songs for decades, it's refreshing to play non-mainstream things for a change. If not for myself, maybe our cat digs it.

shredtrash

Gold Supporting Member
Play the hits if you want a consistent audience. If you don't care about that as much, play stuff like Trademark.

rmconner80

Cantankerous Luddite
Gold Supporting Member
That's probably all I work on. Ha!

A little Wes Montgomery chord melody here, a little Chet Atkins piece over there, sketching out a Les Paul / Mary Ford tune, stealing some Scotty Moore or Cliff Gallup...

orangekick

Supporting Member
I just learn and play what I want. Sometimes that means that I have an easier time learning other songs, sometimes that means that I can write more interesting pieces.

djdrdave

I took a notion last week to learn an easy Eric Johnson song, not many of those around , but that song was Trademark and I thought it had nice melodies and nice tone, So why did I cut short learning the whole song ? I played the original track using Spotify to several non guitar players and asked them what they thought of it. I was taken aback as some made exaggerated yawning sounds whilst some thought it was poor. I asked myself if it was a song that guitar players who know how awesome a player EJ is will naturally gravitate towards it,whilst those who have never heard of him and don't play guitar will take little to no interest at all. I decided not to bother with it any more and learnt the entire song " alright " by the awesome Supergrass in about 60 seconds flat. Those in my company all loved the Supergrass track for its oh so simple melody and immediate accessibility which was the polar opposite of how they felt about Trademark.

Ever feel you are putting hard work and effort into learning songs you will be playing to the bartender ?
I like trademark
especially the last minute or so of it.

joe_jr

Silver Supporting Member
It’s never stopped me before, and isn’t stopping me now. Will I ever change? Nah, too late for that.

Lucidology

Silver Supporting Member
Not anymore hopefully ... Not as a soloist ...
That why I call myself a Jazz Pop Guitarist instead of just a Jazz, Fusion or even Smooth Jazz Player for that matter ...

rolsen

Oh yeah, I'm a couple hundred hours into recording my bands next release. Who knows how long it took to come up with everything, arrange, write lyrics, rehearse..

I'm sure a couple dozen will hear it.

I have to remind myself that other hobbies don't have the expectation that others will fawn over you.

Tone_Terrific

Silver Supporting Member
I have to remind myself that other hobbies don't have the expectation that others will fawn over you.
The problem with music is that it has become a performance art, a show, and 'if there ain't no audience, there ain't no show.'

"I'm playing golf on Saturday, who's coming out to watch?"
Try dragging your wife and her friends out to that 'show.'

tycobb73

Silver Supporting Member
No. I play multiple instruments so there's always some pretty basic skill to learn. I can't play linus and lucy so i could always be working on that.

gixxerrock

I spend a lot of time leaning stuff I would never seriously ask my band to play, but the ideas I absorb still come out on stage and bend people's ear. The time is not wasted IMO.

Jimi1983

Gold Supporting Member
I have never been able to bring myself to play music that I did not enjoy playing, and I really enjoy trying to learn music that inspires me, even if it is not popular. I never feel like it is a waste of time if it moves my heart and soul.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom