Ever find a seller that won't do a local deal?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by kracdown, May 2, 2016.

1. kracdown

kracdown Custom User Title Gold Supporting Member

I found a great deal on a great guitar on Reverb. Seller gives me a price a little bit away from what I wanted to pay. Told him I'd pick it up from him locally with cash (he lives an hour away) or meet up with him halfway, which would negate shipping (which usually costs close to the difference in price that I wanted) and probably even take less time and energy than shipping. But the seller claims he's not interested in a local deal. Anyone else ever seen something like this? Why would a seller want to take on the risk that comes with shipping when in the same amount of time as it would take to send, he/she could have the cash in their pocket? Bummed as I wanted the guitar, but out of principle I'm not ponying up the money for expensive shipping in a gig bag when I can hop in my car and have it within the hour...

2. James_E

James_E Member

Perhaps the guitar is not as it seems.. and you would notice that if you went to pick it up. Possible scam?

3. dirk_benedict

dirk_benedict Supporting Member

I've seen it. Some people just want the thing to hit the mail so there is a record of a transaction going down.

Some people don't want to meet strangers knowing there is an item of value and/or cash waiting to exchange hands, for reasons of personal safety.

Some people are selling a crap ton of stuff, and they have everything packed up and ready to go to the PO. This sidetrip is actually less convenient for them.

Some people want the money in paypal so they can blow it on other gear without having to have the financial discipline to move money around.

And so on...

mute, NamaEnsou, jdogric12 and 4 others like this.
  4. teleman1

teleman1 Supporting Member

I would guess they are introverted and person to person confrontation is difficult. Lots of introverts use the internet as their defense to stay away from confrontation. Hence, he has no reason to meet up with you cause he has convinced himself it is not necessary and doable.

QRSS likes this.
  5. korby

korby Member

There is a gear pager that lives 5 miles from me and won't do a face to face cash deal .

Stratonator, Peteyvee and QRSS like this.
  6. dirk_benedict

Could also be they've priced it at a great deal for the sole purpose of not wanting to deal with the additional haggling likely to come in a face-to-face meet up.

Last edited: May 2, 2016
  7. grapeshot

grapeshot Supporting Member

Shelton's Guitars in Frederick, MD is like this. When I was local to the DC area, I wanted to check out a guitar he had and potentially pay cash for it. Answer was a resounding 'no'. At least he has a 24-hr approval period now, used to be all sales final. He website looks nice, but I'll probably never buy from him. Prime Guitars (formerly "Trade-O-Rama") in Great Falls, VA is the same way. Again, I was local, asked of I could check something out, and was told no. This dude has an all sales final policy, which is ridiculous, IMO. I'd never buy from this guy.

http://www.sheltonsguitars.com/

http://www.primeguitars.com/policies/

Last edited: May 2, 2016
  8. Guitar Josh

Guitar Josh Resident Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

Trust me, there are plenty of other reasons not to buy from that place.

Boundcustom, Papanate and ERGExplorer like this.
  9. TheClev

TheClev As seen on TV

Doesn't that violate the terms and conditions of Reverb.com? Maybe he won't deal locally because there's a record of your communications through Reverb.

Cal Webway likes this.
  10. circle_o_5ths

circle_o_5ths Member

Maybe he's been stood up a few times.

11. CRAIG4FSU

CRAIG4FSU Whatever... Silver Supporting Member

Maybe he got low balled the last time he did a face to face deal and was burned from it?

12. Peteyvee

Peteyvee Premium Platinum Member

It could be any number of reasons, starting with scam and ending with being an introvert, with paranoid about dealing with potentially being ripped off somewhere in the middle. As far as those "stores", I'm betting they're one man operations run out of the seller's house and they don't want people over for obvious reasons.

sanrico likes this.
  13. dirk_benedict

Reverb allows you to offer local pickup when you list.

14. Amplifier Owner

Amplifier Owner Member

see Tweedbucket's Craiglist motorcylce thread.

15. TheClev

TheClev As seen on TV

It sounded like the OP was wanting to buy the guitar in person with cash. That does violate the terms and conditions.

16. dirk_benedict

Ah yes, the cash bit, of course.

17. jonnytexas

jonnytexas Member

Pretty much.

18. markjsmith

markjsmith Member

Yes, on an amp that had issues that weren't in the ad! Finally talked him into letting me play it and the true confession about the issues came to light. I passed!

Peteyvee likes this.
  19. korby

korby Member

Guy was selling a Martin HD 28 in the emporium as no issues and it was local so I checked it out . Bridge was lifting you could slip paper under it all the way across , it had cracks cross grain and I pointed it out to him . He left it up in the emporium listed as no issues .

20. NHDave

NHDave Supporting Member

I would always prefer a local deal however I tend to get alot of offers to drive to Boston
    (college students no car am guessing) I really don't want to drive 1 hour there, 1 hour back
    and have the possibility of 1) a no show 2) getting grinded price wise. 3) or they
    want you to hold it til Saturday and never hear from them again...

Stratonator likes this.