Ever fired a contractor/plumber/electrician/handyman? Let's hear your stories.

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Stratonator, Apr 20, 2016.

1. Stratonator

Stratonator Member

I fired a plumber after I discovered he was more interested in leaving quickly than doing his work properly. The last straw was when he guaranteed he was done and I found 3 pipes that had not been connected and secured! Had I taken his word and closed everything up, the first time we would have turned on the water, I would had to deal with a flood. Fired him instantly.

When we were green (1st house owners), had a contractor over, gave him a 5K deposit as requested, and then couldn't get him to come by and do the work. After extensive research, it looked like he was some shady character in a family that had a bunch of companies, all shady. They'd hire guys from CL and pay them the bare minimum, the work was terrible, most people couldn't get the job done and lost their money. Pulled a few stunts, got their attention, fired them, and without going into detail, I made them give me my money back. After I left unfavorable review, I had 2 other people contact me to ask for tips on dealing with these scammers.

Another plumber (who my wife knew and trusted) was bragging to a fellow contractor how much he was going to rip us off. He was right. He was ripping us off. We fired him, hired somebody else who's now our regular plumber. Good company, reasonable prices, and workers who know their stuff.

Last one isn't anybody we fired, but I really had to scratch my head over this one. We hired a handyman to perform a long list of tasks. One was building shelf in a media closet. I explained how many shelves I wanted. I come back from work to find he built me a standalone shelf unit inside the closet! WTF? Who'd ever want that? Had him tear it down and build appropriate shelves.

2. FFTT

FFTT Member

Sub-Contractor.

It was a huge hassle too.

He did not finish final grade as agreed, so I refused to pay him last draw.

Fired him and he got all pissy and put a mechanic's lien on the project.

He finally yielded, but the bank financing construction held up any more draws till I got it resolved.
    Cost me nearly 3 weeks.

3. Anthony Gring

Anthony Gring Silver Supporting Member

I'm a plumbing contractor. I've never been fired or called off a job that I can recall.

However, I have had some unreasonable clients that were virtually impossible to please. :bkw

I fired them......... :wave

burns and bruno_desmartass like this.
  4. JCW308

JCW308 Supporting Member

Yeah, the guy that did my music room. Had to fire him to get him to shape up. He was disappearing for hours at a time, visiting other customers, etc.... Brought him back later with a deadline in writing and one more chance. He did a good job after that. Never used him again though.

5. JCW308

JCW308 Supporting Member

I just had to do that with a computer customer of mine today. The woman was flat out insane. Told her to go pound sand, I was done.

6. Stratonator

Stratonator Member

It goes both ways. Some customers want the moon for next to nothing.

However, we are extremely reasonable. My wife is too nice. She blindly gave the contract to the plumber she knew since he was a HS friend of hers. After that fiasco, I've now held a much tighter leash on things. I'm afraid to say I have to micromanage most projects because the trust isn't there. Except for the plumber we have now. I have no issues with leaving him alone to do the work because I know from experience he's trustworthy and his work is impeccable. However, that's not true of most contractors I've encountered (no offense).

7. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

Fired a framing carpenter and his crew on new home construction.

They were drunk on the job, the basement walls weren't plumb, and were missing studs. :FM

8. FFTT

FFTT Member

The Movie "The Money Pit" sure hits home if you've remodeled a home.

2 Weeks!

9. Stratonator

Stratonator Member

Thought it was 3 as per your post above. :p

10. FFTT

FFTT Member

My lawyer was scarier than his lawyer.

11. Amplifier Owner

Amplifier Owner Member

we hired my wife's nephew's dad to remodel the bathroom. he needed a lot of $$ up front for 'material', learned that some of that was going to feed his crack addiction. ended up firing him at some point, we didn't pay him for the labor, and I ended up doing the painting and floor tile.

12. CosmicCowboy

CosmicCowboy Supporting Member

Was having hardwood floors put in the downstairs of the house. Our lead guitarist at the time was a handyman. So he said. The job was supposed to take 3 days. On the first day he shows up almost 3 hours late and with no crew. And no nail gun. On the first day I wound up pulling carpet and scraping floors on the project I was paying him for. The entire day wound up with maybe 100sq foot of flooring down. I told him that the next day had to start at 7. He swore it would and he'd have a crew. When 9 rolled around the next day I started calling other companies and found one that could be out the next day. I moved the other guys tools out to the yard and waited. When he called at 9:45 saying he was on his way I told him his tools were in the yard and I'd pay him the agreed price per square foot for what was down.

After picking up his tools he called our drummer to complain, who told him, "Well, we can't have this drama in the band. Good luck with your future endeavors."

Stratonator likes this.
  13. FFTT

FFTT Member

Oh yeah, must be careful about hiring "friends" and acquaintances, who hire their friends.

14. Stratonator

Stratonator Member

Agreed. The plumber my wife knew hired a friend and his dad, both of which were licensed.

That experience resulted in my wife being distraught. However, the good news is she finally learned her lesson that workers aren't her friends and that acquaintances will never be hired again no matter what. The opportunity presented itself another time and she refused to even consider it.

15. circle_o_5ths

circle_o_5ths Member

We bought our home and wanted it painted prior to moving in. Our realtor recommend a company, they did terrible work. At the end of the first week they want 80% of the total, but appeared to be 20% completed. I gave them 20%, pointed out what we were not satisfied with and they walked off the job. So I guess they fired us, but essentially the same.

16. CosmicCowboy

CosmicCowboy Supporting Member

Lesson learned. Whole job cost me about $500 more, and I got better stairs and didn't have to do any of the work myself.

17. Eric Rowland

Eric Rowland Member

18. giltgitguy

giltgitguy Member

My ex and I moved to a small island just off Vancouver-a typical laid back west coast small town. We asked our realtor to reccomend a carpenter and a carpet guy for some small improvements. The carpenter showed up on a bicycle with just a hammer and screwdriver. I had to drive him to get materials and loan him tools. The carpet guy came for about an hour and then left for three hours because he had to go pick up his kid and buy beer.