Ever follow a speeder?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by DrJamie, May 1, 2016.

1. DrJamie

DrJamie Silver Supporting Member

I've often wondered where the fire was, when I see a crazy speeder zoom past me on the freeway. I've never had the nerve to see where their destination actually was. I can't imagine tailing a speeder ending well. Sure curious though.

2. QRSS

QRSS brutalist

followed their lead at times. allow them to blaze the trail. can't afford speeding tickets.

Wrmbrnr, keiths and jrjones like this.
  3. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

Done the same, but only with moderate speeders, not the crazy ones.

One time on a relatively empty Jersey Turnpike returning from NYC at 3 AM when I owned a Porsche, some guy in a Vette tailed a speeding me for miles. I was more than glad to oblige with my then state of the art radar detector. Bottom line, it worked for neither of us as the State Patrol snagged us both. They were soooo wrong about my speed though ... they tagged me for 90, but that was only after some hard breaking from a near steady 120! Ahhhhh, the good ole days....

Washburnmemphis and QRSS like this.
  4. Stratonator

Stratonator Member

Never been curious about the destination. Most people are impatient nowadays. Speeding is a regular occurrence, anywhere you are.

jrjones likes this.
  5. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Gold Supporting Member

A number of people I see really speeding do it in fairly short bursts, not continuously for miles. They zoom along, then slow back down. I guess they just want the fun of blasting along for a while, but maybe think doing it continuously would most likely result in getting caught. Getting somewhere faster doesn't seem to the point.

Around here Friday and Saturday nights seem to be big speeding nights, in traffic so a lot of weaving in and out. They are of course going to the party.

PaganBeef likes this.
  6. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

We call this driver a "front door" and you can squeeze a few additional MPH out of the circumstances you are in and if you use care, he can help you get where you're going sooner, without a ticket. Better not to alert him you're making use of his speeding - he's liable to know exactly where to exit the road and where to slow to miss the speed cop - you gotta be really attentive.

I find that too often, someone else has recognized the speeder is out there and you have to join a convoy to take advantage - I don't do that. I'll let that phalanx of vehicles move on ahead and I let them get out in front and just slipstream them from 1/4 mile back for a couple miles, then fall off the back normally unless they catch up to some congestion. My scheme is to make good time but keep as much distance in front and behind my car as possible. I wish I could tell you in words what the technique is - all I know is I try to relax and don't force it.

Rockin J and Tripower455 like this.
  7. Totally Bored

Totally Bored Member

I just like to drive fast. :dude

Vic Ferrari and burner like this.
  8. standard24

standard24 Member

Back in the 70's, coming out of Houston, I followed 2 cowboys in a convertible Rolls Royce for a LONG time, at 100 mph. Neither one's cowboy hat ever blew off, even at that speed! They finally turned off somewhere and I slowed down. Most likely they were driving "oil money".

TwoTubMan likes this.
  9. The Captain

The Captain Supporting Member

Sometimes I'll tag along for a bit to let them run interference. Mostly though, I monitor my own speed. In populated areas I don't speed at all.
    Out on deserted rural highways in good conditions with excellent visibility, there may be an opportunity for some hyper-miling.

10. n9ne

n9ne Member

I subscribe to the theory of never being the fastest guy on the road. When a guy passes me at a pretty good clip, I'll give him a half-mile or so, then fall in behind and let him run interference, always keeping him just in view. It usually doesn't last for more than a few miles...but a few months ago, I trailed behind a guy as he did 90-100 MPH all the way between Birmingham AL and Fort Payne AL. Probably knocked 20-30 minutes off my drive home.

Washburnmemphis, QRSS and pepedede like this.
  11. Turi

Turi Member

They always wind up at Maccas.

12. pepedede

pepedede Member

Yeah, there is always someone trying to be the bigger fish. Once I was on the motorway here in the UK and wasn't in a hurry so was doing 70mph (the speed limit in the UK for motorways) when three cars overtook me, the first one was a ford doing roughly 80mph, the second was a mercedes doing roughly 90mph and then overtaking the ford and finally a porsche doing well over 100mp which then overtook both the ford and mercedes. A bit further down the road a cop pulled over just the porsche.

There is always a bigger fish.

13. burner

burner Member

I hear people say of speeders: "Oh well what are they gonna do get there 2 minutes earlier?"
    Well, YES.
    Listen....if you gotta take a dump or whatever, that 2 minutes can make all the difference in the world!

14. The Captain

The Captain Supporting Member

Depends on the length of the trip too. On a ten hour drive 5kph is 50km, and 10 is 100km, which saves an hour.
    That can be handy.

15. burner

burner Member

Yeah?
    I'm not real sure...we dont have anything called "kph" or "km" here, lol.
    ;)

16. Stratonator

Stratonator Member

No kidding. The black portions are the only ones without it. ;)

[​IMG]

nsureit and Washburnmemphis like this.
  17. burner

burner Member

The greatest country in the world!
    That being the case, you'd think everyone would follow our lead...

JCM 800 likes this.
  18. elron hoover

elron hoover Member

Why do so many assume that a speeder is always trying to be the "big fish", or whatever you prefer to call it. Some people are running late, and, despite popular belief, speeding can make the difference between being on time or being late. There are also people who just like driving fast. The guy really trying to be the "big fish" is the one who increases his speed in an effort to drive faster than the guy who just passed him. Those meatheads think anyone driving at a faster clip is trying to race them.

19. cap10kirk

cap10kirk Member

I don't follow speeders, I'm usually the one in front. If I'm going faster than everyone else, I'm not going to get run over by some idiot texting and driving, especially when so many people don't pay attention to motorcycles anyway. And by being on a motorcycle, I'm not getting pulled over, so no worries about expensive tickets.

Tripower455 likes this.
  20. DrJamie

DrJamie Silver Supporting Member

I was really interested in why they were speeding. Where were they headed? I wouldn't follow a speeder to go fast myself. I sometimes imagine an emergency, but I'd run my flashers in that case. Are they just hyper personalities, or running late to get somewhere? I also wonder if some are drug dealers, or other types of criminals. And YES, I was stuck in traffic trying to get out of downtown Chicago, after a night of extra hot Indian food, and would have driven any speed to get to a rest stop. I barely made it through that one...