Ever formed a friendship through a CL deal?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Stratonator, May 4, 2016.

1. Stratonator

Stratonator Member

Had an Epiphone ES-335 with BurstBuckers for sale on CL and was contacted by this 13yo kid who was interested in it. We arrange a meeting where they'd drive to my place to check it out.

Dad is a nice laidback dude and his kid was just as easygoing and polite. They were impressed with the mancave and admired the gear as he is just starting out and has some solid-state amps for now. Kid plugs into my Marshall SuperLead half-stack and there's a huge smile on his face. You could tell he normally doesn't have access to more expensive gear. His eyes were like saucers and his smile was wide and bright.

I didn't plug in once because this was his day. He didn't want to leave and it was obvious he was having a blast. I let him show me a lot of classic rock stuff he is into which is a little surprising since most kids his age I've met wouldn't be able to name a single Led Zep tune, or from The Who, or Clapton's Bluesbreaker days, and on and on. A little sloppy since he hasn't played long but there's passion and it's easy to see that he's a sponge for this stuff so there's definitely potential.

We conclude the deal and once his dad felt it was time to go, they left happily with the guitar. Later in the evening, I sent them a text letting them know it was a pleasure to meet them and to encourage the kid to continue playing. The dad responds that his son had been playing the guitar non-stop since they got home.

On and off, we'd have a quick exchange, just like yesterday when I got word he got himself a new Epiphone LP. It's something he's wanted for a long time, apparently. Got a pic of the kid playing it. Looks more like a rocker than I ever did even in my youth. LOL!

Anyway, I'm set to pick up a couple of amps but once I'm all set up, I've invited the kid up to my place to jam with his new LP and whatever other guitars he wants to bring over. I'm sure we'll have a lot of fun. My poor wife will probably just stay upstairs where it's safe. LOL! Easy to see he's a good kid. With good taste in music, to boot. I'll probably end up making some nice BBQ chicken for them and we'll have a nice dinner with my wife.

Have you ever formed a friendship through CL?

MaxLikesMilk and Yer Blues like this.
  2. Sobbincat

Sobbincat Gold Supporting Member

Yea, actually, but it was not a gear deal. It was furniture. A mission dining set, solid wood, hand crafted, nice. He was running a hustle with two trucks and some extra muscle where he'd do pick up and delivery. He and his guy went to the place, took the table apart, loaded it, moved it, off loaded it and reassembled it, a first rate job, for $100. He went by the name of Glenn Affordable, and he sure was. He did a couple of other jobs for me, and always did a good job. In the middle of taking down a porch roof, he had a heart attack. He pulled through okay and finished up the job by the end of the week. Got right back into the swing of things. Later that year I sent an email which was replied to by his sister telling me that Glenn had passed on. I felt the loss of a friend and a good honest, hardworking man.

3. Yer Blues

Yer Blues Member

Cool story, bro!
    Maybe you can get him a deal on an amp if you're looking to move anything.

4. korby

korby Member

Yes but more needy folks I had to cut loose .

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  5. Washburnmemphis

Washburnmemphis Member

Hate to be that guy but...You invited a guy to your house from Craigslist and you showed him where you kept your stuff knowing that he and his kid had an interest in music equipment?

You're very brave and trusting.

T Dizz likes this.
  6. Jarrett

Jarrett Member

Ever formed a friendship through a CL deal?

Well... a "special" kind of friendship, yes :)

BJJ&Blues likes this.
  7. Stratonator

Stratonator Member

Pretty sure I'll end up keeping everything as I'm building my mancave to include my deserted island amps. Getting a custom-made handbuilt JTM45 with mostly NOS parts down to the tube sockets and a '73 Superbass from a friend. Apart from the Metro Amps SuperLead the kid plugged into, I have a '71 Super Reverb and I'm thinking of getting myself a 5F6-A Bassman after that.

But guitar-wise, I think he'd really like the Joe Bonamassa Epiphone gold LP I have which I want to sell to buy a nice Gibson LP. Not a bad idea to keep the kid in mind and let him know enough in advance for him to get cash to buy it. I'd certainly be willing to give him a bit of a break on the price. It's a LOT of guitar for the money, too.

Yer Blues likes this.
  8. Yer Blues

Yer Blues Member

Yeah.. plus you know he'd actually use it and take care of it!
    I'm in the market for a LP myself right now.... A studio was my first real guitar 20 years ago.

9. Nurk2

Nurk2 "Ignore Everybody" ~Hugh MacLeod

"TGParanoia"

sanrico, Tom CT and Stratonator like this.
  10. Stratonator

Stratonator Member

We all have our way of dealing with people. I always talk on the phone to the person. Kind of funny but it's always when I'm the buyer that I get a bad vibe on the phone about half the time. I know something is fishy.

When selling, it's only happened a few times where I didn't let the person come in. The people in the OP are good eggs.

11. Stratonator

Stratonator Member

If you're talking about an Epiphone, definitely get the JB model. Sounds killer and everything is top-notch from the finish to the sound. I'd keep it if it weren't for the neck which has a '59 D profile. Too curved and thick for me to play comfortably for long periods of time. And with a sound like that, I'd love to be able to do that.

So a slim-taper 60s neck LP will be in my future. :)

aussie_owner likes this.
  12. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Member

No, but I am a misanthrope.

The guy who bought my Mexican Stratocaster on Sunday was telling me about where his band would be playing at, and I just nodded approvingly, but I would probably never go to those dives.

13. Yer Blues

Yer Blues Member

Nah... Gibson, probably a Goldtop. And yeah... I'm looking for the slim neck.
    I need to investigate how big the necks are on the R7s. :idea

14. Nurk2

Nurk2 "Ignore Everybody" ~Hugh MacLeod

I barely make friends with, like, my friends.

15. Yer Blues

Yer Blues Member

Must be......

Nurk2 likes this.
  16. Stratonator

Stratonator Member

I believe the R0 is what you should be looking at.

17. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Member

I think R2D2 is the one to have.

I've got one person I was calling a friend, but I've downgraded that to acquaintance, after he continuously bashes my gear & tells me what I need to do to become a better musician.
    It helps remind me of why I am a misanthrope.

Jaddy and Nurk2 like this.
  18. keepingitweird

keepingitweird Member

Unfortunately...yes. I sold this guy a head and cab who lives about 1.5 hours away. He was polite and really liked to talk gear. After about a year the real version of his personality started showing up in our conversations. I won't go into the details...other than to say be careful who you invite into your life.

19. buzzp

buzzp Member

No, people on craigslist talk way too much. I want the transaction to be over and done with the minute I meet them.... but I've also never interacted with anyone normal on craigslist.

20. Stratonator

Stratonator Member

To be fair, this could happen regardless of how this person was met.