Ever GASsed For A Pedal You've Never Even Heard?

ColorBlindJames

Gold Supporting Member
I was reading the latest issue of Tone Report last night and it contained a short write-up of a new Greer pedal called the Special Request which is based on the preamp found in Dumble amps.

It's got just one knob, which is always appealing to me, and I'd love it try it out with my rig despite the fact that I have absolutely no idea what it sounds like because, at the moment, there are exactly ZERO demos of the pedal on YouTube.

Nonetheless, I almost ordered one off of Reverb last night but managed to restrain myself until I can at least hear a demo of it somewhere.

Has anyone else ever gotten GAS just based on something they read? Please tell me that I am not the only one!

buzzp

Yes, all of the time. Sometimes I want pedals just because of how they look, shallow I know, but what can I say...I like my **** to look cool!

Bad Pixel fuzz pedals is one company that I would like to give all of my money too. That's a company where how they sound matches up with how badass they look.

Right now I'm GASing for a Havalina Germanium Fuzz. But I just bought another AC30 so it's hard to justify spending more to the wife.

PurpleJesus

Moderation is key
Staff member
It's supposed to duplicate the FET input on a Dumble amp. However, I've never seen anyone use that input on a Dumble. They use the normal input.
Mr. Dumble added the FET input so someone could run a low input guitar like an acoustic guitar with a pickup.
When I played through a Dumble, I plugged into the FET input first and thought it sounded like a solid state amp. I was disappointed until I plugged into the normal input.
That part I bolded and underlined is very true and very important to understand about the FET input on Dumbles. The FET boost on a Dumble doesn't really sound very good. I never use it on my clone.

If you look at people that gig w/ ODS amps they're always plugged into the "normal" channel.

ColorBlindJames

Gold Supporting Member
It's supposed to duplicate the FET input on a Dumble amp. However, I've never seen anyone use that input on a Dumble. They use the normal input.
Mr. Dumble added the FET input so someone could run a low input guitar like an acoustic guitar with a pickup.
When I played through a Dumble, I plugged into the FET input first and thought it sounded like a solid state amp. I was disappointed until I plugged into the normal input.
This was exactly my point - I have never heard this pedal and I don't really know anything about it other than the little bit that I read and yet, inexplicably, I am GASsing for it.

I literally know nothing about this pedal or how it sounds, yet, for some reason, I think that I want one! It makes no sense.

Serenity

When i first saw the Keeley Oxblood i thought damn i hope that sounds as good as it looks. Going by the videos i've seen i'd say it does. It's the only drive pedal i'm currently interested in picking up.

blobe

Well, everything that will be flippable in a year and bring money (spaceman ?)
you buy them
store them
profit
rinse and repeat
(btw, where is the thread that was talking about this.. mysteriously disappeared, not cool)

cbpickin

Tweed Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Almost always. Video demos rarely represent how it will sound in my hands, so I have to hear it for myself. I do read up on pedals as much as possible. That really induces the GAS.

BluesForDan

Silver Supporting Member
yes, and I'm not even into pedals. Reverb had a limited edition of some pedal last week and the only reason I didn't get one was because I tried to find out if there was any way to convert it to 9V battery if I rehoused it and by then they were sold out.

Now I can't remember what brand it was. Probably saved myself 70 bucks I didn't need to spend. :D

Black_Label

Welcome to TGP. Normal players hear something, play it, buy it. Here, we create hype for the pretty new pedal that no one's heard. And the fewer that are ever heard or played, the more TGPers want it. Naturally.

Trending Topics