• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Ever get a guitar shipped only in the case?

C-4

I was really pissed off to receive a brand new Anvil custom made flight case, which I ordered and had sent to Gibson in Kalamazoo to ship a custom made LP Standard they were building for me, sent to me with the guitar in it, but not boxed. The worst part about this senerio was that someone had tried to pry it open like a sardine can, and UPS still delivered it that way!

Noise Under The Floor

Platinum Supporting Member
I was really pissed off to receive a brand new Anvil custom made flight case, which I ordered and had sent to Gibson in Kalamazoo to ship a custom made LP Standard they were building for me, sent to me with the guitar in it, but not boxed. The worst part about this senerio was that someone had tried to pry it open like a sardine can, and UPS still delivered it that way!

So Gibson sent it to you like that? :eek:

BPSUL

I have long had a theory that a guitar NOT shipped in a box has a better chance of arriving unharmed. Being inside a box means it is handled just like all the other boxes. Thrown around... used to build a wall of boxes in the truck, etc.

I've wondered if putting a guitar in the case and simply wrapping it with celophane or brown paper, to protect against scratches, but othewise obvious to the shipper that it is a guitar, would lead to careful handling. aka "oh look, thats a guitar, I better be careful" also, since it is not square, it cannot be built into the wall of boxes as they are packed. it likely would be put on the back of the truck, last.

A variant to this, would be to wrap the case, or just a guitar, in bubble wrap and tape it up. So now you have an unidentifiable item, but still in a non standard shape. it is the 'oddball item' that gets handled differently. This thread certainly seems it could back that up.

Let me add that years ago I spent a summer loading trucks for UPS. I know how the process works.

Noise Under The Floor

Platinum Supporting Member
Never had it happen with a guitar. I did however have an amp head shipped to me stuffed inside of a guitar shipping box. The box you're shipment lacked...that's what the seller put around a Marshall 30th Aniv. head and shipped to me from one state over. I'd asked about local pickup since it was just a few hours away....nope, wasn't having it. Found out why.

I say "put around" because it of course didn't actually fit in that box, he just cut it down one side, wrapped the cardboard around the amp, and sent it. Oh, he did put a "FRAGILE" sticker on it at least :facepalm Needless to say....SMASHED. Parts loose and rolling around inside of it, knobs busted off, power switch bashed back into the chassis.

I still don't know why FedEx accepted it like that. When the FedEx guy delivered it all he said was "Sorry, this is how it came to us"

When I contacted the seller and sent pictures his first response was "Looks like you have a FedEx insurance claim on your hands." Then it was "Yeah, sorry...I was out of town, my wife packed it. She didn't know any better." Followed by "I'm not going to be berated me over this amp. I'm not going to read or respond to any future emails from you on this matter."

I took the amp to a local tech who determined the amp most likely wasn't working before he even shipped it due some burned up components on the board. He intentionally shipped it that way with the intention of making an insurance claim out of it...broken amp - he gets paid - it gets "damaged" in shipping - buyer maybe gets paid - all is ok in his world.

Pay Pal solved it. Its a shame, was a really nice amp that he'd damaged.

RRfireblade

I have long had a theory that a guitar NOT shipped in a box has a better chance of arriving unharmed. Being inside a box means it is handled just like all the other boxes. Thrown around... used to build a wall of boxes in the truck, etc.

I've wondered if putting a guitar in the case and simply wrapping it with celophane or brown paper, to protect against scratches, but othewise obvious to the shipper that it is a guitar, would lead to careful handling. aka "oh look, thats a guitar, I better be careful" also, since it is not square, it cannot be built into the wall of boxes as they are packed. it likely would be put on the back of the truck, last.

A variant to this, would be to wrap the case, or just a guitar, in bubble wrap and tape it up. So now you have an unidentifiable item, but still in a non standard shape. it is the 'oddball item' that gets handled differently. This thread certainly seems it could back that up.

Let me add that years ago I spent a summer loading trucks for UPS. I know how the process works.

I can tell you this much.

I have a friend that is a UPS driver and had asked him about this kind of thing once and what he said was that he never really thought about it before but now that I mentioned it.....if it's in a case with a handle he was naturally going to use the handle and set it down flat rather than on end or oddly stacked with out even thinking about it.

BPSUL

Yep. people handling these packages will go through a day like this:

Stack box
Stack box
Stack box
Stack box
Stack box
Stack box
Stack box
Stack box
Stack box
Stack box
Stack box
Stack box
Stack box
Stack box
Stack box
Stack box
Stack box
Stack box
Stack box
Stack box
Stack box
Stack box
Stack box
Stack box
whoa! whats this? its not a box. hmmm. I'll set it over here.
Stack box
Stack box
Stack box
Stack box
Stack box
Stack box
Stack box
Stack box
Stack box
Stack box
Stack box
Stack box
Stack box
Stack box
Stack box
Stack box
Stack box
Stack box
Stack box
Stack box
Stack box

pbmw

Lots of outrage about shipping in a case.
Not very many instances of damage....
Hmmmm......

DustyRhodesJr

I sold an SG on eBay that the buyer wanted shipped without a box or insurance so he could save on the shipping cost. It went overseas and did not arrive unscathed - the neck was cracked at the heel joint. It was the buyers choice and I wasn't out anything, but I'd never agree to that again.

You mean it was just a guitar with a label on it?

PedalFreak

Had an acoustic guitar back in 1999 shipped to me in a box. No case and No padding of any kind, and the box was way too big. The guitar bounced all over in it. Surprisingly there was no damage to it.

gtrplyr1

Many years back I used to be a collectable slot machine dealer. I used to meticulously package them and something would often get broken. (there is a lot of glass). Another dealer in Arizona taught me a better method.

It's placed on the center of a skid and wrapped in clear plastic. Everyone can see exactly what it is.

Never had one damaged again!!!

cpike

Nylon string classical-style, Spain to Wisconsin in a flimsy chipboard case, with two wraps of cellophane to keep the case shut. No damage whatsoever. Wasn't my idea (the guitar or the packing method).

I have often wondered if there may be some reverse psychology at work here. A package handler seeing something that has no reasonable chance of surviving its journey, showing sympathy for a package that would be easy to smash... The opposite would be me sitting on a plane, watching through the window, as a baggage handler takes my SG in a hardshell case with the word FRAGILE stenciled all over it, show it to a fellow baggage ape, laugh, and hurl it with an overhand spear-chucking motion into the baggage compartment. Hit the inside of the plane hard enough that I could feel the impact from my seat. Broke the neck off at the pocket. No compensation from the airline, of course.

I read an interview with Mike Zwaite (Dr Z amps) where he talked about packing amps. Said UPS recommends that a package be able to withstand a 6 foot drop to concrete if it is to survive its trip. I would never ship a guitar without double boxing, no matter how many anecdotal examples of poor packing w/no damage are posted in internet guitar forums. It's like listing examples of people surviving motorcycle crashes without helmets, or car crashes without seatbelts. It happens, but it's stupid to bet your life (or your guitar or amp) on luck.

TNJ

Gold Supporting Member
If you brought it to UPS in the case and told them to pack and ship it, how would they pack it? Do they have boxes that a guitar case would fit in ?

Yes,
They do. I assume you're talking about the UPS Store, right?

S.
j

t***9

Gold Supporting Member
Yup. Bought an Epi Les Paul off ebay from a guy who ran a pro (!) bike shop in Boukder, CO. I was stunned when it arrived, un-taped no less - but the guitar was OK.

27sauce

A very well known vintage dealer requested that I send a guitar this way once. I dealt with him again later that year, and he had me send a vintage Marshall cab this way as well. Weird. I guess they arrived okay?

Trending Topics

Top Bottom