Ever get sick of the genre you love?

marcg71

I am a huge blues & blues rock fan and I hit a wall. For the last 5 years I've been in this blues band that blues band and have engulfed myself into straight ahead blues and blues rock. Then this last band broke up and for whatever reason I cant listen to it right now, none of it.

ever happen to you? whatcha do, if anything. :bonk

CharAznable

Silver Supporting Member
I can't imagine engulfing myself in a single genre for 5 years.

Hell, I can't imagine engulfing myself in a single genre for an entire drive to work.

marcg71

well I guess I am just flat out sick of it. perhaps i am not alone. Keep in mind I didnt exclude listening to other genres, just a lot of blues and blues rock.

mikem

I remember being in one band and just for the sake of comic relief (due to abject boredom with all of samey sounding rock tunes) we adlibbed a thrash metal tune that roughly had lyrics like "I played Black Sabbath at 78 speed and saw God, so I killed him because I'm the devil" I also got so bored with stupid references to Valhalla and the like in metal songs that I wrote a song called "The Fighting Norsemen" complete with retarded lyrics and faux vocals. Boredom can be inspiration.

Mike

Thinsocks

Me. I was a flat out old school blues Nazi from pretty much the day I got a guitar up until a about two years ago. I had thousands of rare records and knew just about all the obscure guys from way back in the day. Even played in a few well know bands in the genre, had all the "right" vintage gear, etc. Now I hardly listen to the stuff and I've been slowly selling off large chunks of my record collection. Still deeply love the music, but the need to play and absorb as much of it as possible is gone. I'd be perfectly fine with never doing another blues gig for the rest of my life. Now I listen to such a wide variety of music that I'm sometimes amazed I stuck to one genre for so long.

cram

yes, but that's the beauty of today: you can easily find great music in so many different styles.

mikem

I am a huge blues & blues rock fan and I hit a wall. For the last 5 years I've been in this blues band that blues band and have engulfed myself into straight ahead blues and blues rock. Then this last band broke up and for whatever reason I cant listen to it right now, none of it.

ever happen to you? whatcha do, if anything. :bonk

I gotta tell ya that blues and blues rock bores the pants off me, too if I listen to nothing but. I used to hate playing with one band cuz it was all 1-4-5 all the time in the same two or three keys. That'll bore the **** out of anyone.

Mike

Tinman

I was really, really into the Dead from about 1981 to 1989, then, as if someone threw a switch, I developed an abhorrence for their music, as well as others in the jam band genre. No offence intended to anyone.

germs

ALL THE TIME.

i'm in the modern rock scene.

i'm not gonna say we're the best in our area, but i will say that our genre seems to be the most popular nut to attempt to crack. we're under constant assault from horrible bands who want to get together and play shows. and that's not ego talking, these bands ARE measureably terrible.

sometimes i just get sick of all the posturing and posing and the all-black wearing and you name it...i just want to start something fresh and new and wash my hands of it all. in fact, after this current album cycle if there's no real measureable success i'll be moving genres.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom