Ever had a guitar/pickups that truly inspired your creativity?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by DHart, Feb 15, 2015.

1. DHart

DHart Member

There is tone. And Tone. And, there is TONE!

I've been through a good few guitars in the decades that I've been a player. And I've been pretty excited by most of the new guitars that I've acquired.

But recently, I acquired a guitar that cost a small fraction of what I usually spend for a guitar and I'm so blown away by the incredible TONES that come out of this instrument, that I have been truly inspired in creating new writings with this one.

A great part of the incredible tones come from it having P90 pickups. This is my first and only instrument with P90s. I've had plenty of instruments with various Strat pickups and great humbucker pickups before, including some awesome Tele pickups and Fidelitrons, as well. All sounding pretty wonderful, really.

But I've never had P90's before this one and the combination of semi-hollowbody construction and P90 pickups is yielding wonderfully rich tones that I've never had before from a variety of great Strats, Teles, and Les Pauls.

Anyway, the guitar is an Epiphone ES-339 Pro P90 and I decided to create this thread because I am so totally blown away by the incredible tones coming from this instrument.

[​IMG]

As some of you may know, I have an ample number of great Strats, Teles, and Gibson Les Paul guitars. But in spite of all of them, the sound from this 339 is inspiring my creativity in great new ways that I never expected from it. And I just had to write to tell you about that.

Has the tone from a particular instrument been so great that it's inspired your creativity in new and different ways?

I must say that my eyes have REALLY been opened after hearing the P90s in this 339. Now I am on a mission to add another guitar with P90 pickups.

It seems that P90's are a relatively obscure pickup option to most casual players and only on the radar of some of the more seasoned players who have already run the gamut of the typical Strat, Tele, and humbucker pickups. The tones from these P90's is remarkably rich, full, articulate, and simply beautiful. Moreso than I have heard from any Strat, Tele, or humbucker pickup. I don't know where my head has been all these decades, to not have discovered P90s until now. But this discovery is certainly better late, than never.

In any event, I'd like to join the chorus of those who marvel at the tones coming from P90s... they are amazing sounding pickups and possibly my very favorite pickup option of all. :) At least when coming from a guitar such as the ES-339.

2. Brown Rug

Brown Rug Member

Haven't found that electric guitar that has truly inspired me yet, but when I played a Martin HD-28, it took me down a totally different path musically that I have still yet to come out of.

3. DHart

DHart Member

It's great how certain instruments can open new creative paths for the player! Nice that the HD-28 has done that for you. The Martin OM-28V did that for me, as well.

4. BuckshotJenkins

BuckshotJenkins Silver Supporting Member

No lie: going to bed, looked at the site on my phone and clicked on your thread...and simply by reading your thread title thought: "I haven't gotten one yet, but the feel of those Epiphone ES-339 Pros (was honestly thinking the humbucker model and more about the wonderful feel) would probly have me picking up the guitar more than I do now.

Heh.

5. DHart

DHart Member

That's pretty amazing, isn't it. Be sure you hear the sound of the P90s in the 339 Pro... I think they sound significantly richer with more delicious overtones than any of the various humbuckers I have in numerous other guitars. I've become a major P90 fan with this guitar.

6. dazco

dazco Member

Same thing happened to me with a LP junior special P90. For 6 months it's all i wanted to play. Oddly, now i find myself never playing it anymore for the better part of a year and i'm selling it ! I'm getting my inspiration now from a pair of teles that get those in between sounds I crave better than the LP ever did. But i know where u are, i was there. It just turned out that it took time for me to realize P90's are great, but don't do some of the things i crave near as well as fenders for me at least. I only get that from fenders, and teles do what i like better than other fenders.

7. Dale

Dale Member

Nearly all well playing and feeling guitars make me want to play. They may take me in different directions, but the feel of well playing guitar just does it for me.

8. shredtrash

shredtrash Supporting Member

G&L Comanche with Z-Coils. That guitar can do just about anything.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2015
  9. s2y

s2y Member

Great sounding guitars are inspiring to play. Occasionally they can sound so good that they're distracting. When I got back into guitar (from many years of nothing but bass), I picked up a Carr Rambler, Zen Drive pedal, and Taylor T5. I was always distracting myself with new tones and coming up with cool sounding stuff.

10. Morgancograve

Morgancograve Member

I have some great guitars, Luthier built Brazilian mahoghany strat, Usa Strat plus deluxe, les Paul standard, CIJ Ash tele. Even a couple of good acoustics.

But the tone that blows me away every time is from my Martin GPCPA3, solid rosewood & maple top acoustic. Soooo good.

11. e???

e??? Member

Same here with the p90's man! I was on a strat before and its beautiful to suddenly have this warm, rich, big, beatles-alex chilton-stones-marley- replacements tone machine in my hands... thanks for your post, I've been thinking about these guitars (the es 339) for a while. I got a solidbody now, but p90's are so new and awesome to me I wanna see what else they can do.

12. fitz

fitz Member

First, the Epi 339 Pro line is unbelievable it terms of quality. I have some high end guitars that don't inspire me as much as the 339 Pro. Mine is the humbucker model which are pretty good pickups as well. But I agree P90's in a hollow body are perfect. Great woody tone that can inspire anyone with the right guitar.