Ever have a day where you say "F it, I'm selling all but one guitar?"

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Drumnbum, Feb 12, 2015.

1. Drumnbum

Drumnbum Member

Maybe it's just me, but I've noticed more and more recently that I get overwhelmed and frustrated with the endless options and my "quest" for something that I can't quite even explain. On days like this I just want to sell everything and get one good amp, one good guitar, and maybe a pedal and call it a day.

Maybe I should go take my Happy Pills now :p

2. lumco

lumco Most of the roads I travel are muddy Gold Supporting Member

Amen, I actually did it one time, it is called a "divorce", had to sell pretty much everything but one guitar, one amp and kept a few pedals and was glad for that, now I am back buying again.....

3. GermanCDN

GermanCDN Member

Nope, never happened, never will. Most days I have to convince myself why I don't need more guitars. I am really bad at convincing myself, apparently.

4. C-4

C-4 Member

Here for now, Europe when I die. Am I dead yet?
    I went through that in about 1994 and again in 2008. This morning, I got up to practice before going to work, which I always do. I pulled out a new custom made Tele I received in October, and decided after practicing with it that I would sell it. It's killing my hands.
    I'll probably lose half of what I paid for it, but the rest will be put to ggod use.

5. TwoToneGreen

TwoToneGreen Member

If downsizing involves buying something new then I urge caution. Sometimes it's just the desire to own something new manifesting itself in a different way.

6. winterblu

winterblu Supporting Member

I've done it, lasted for quite a few years then I fell off the wagon.

7. Angiodan

Angiodan Member

Yeah, I have one of those days about every other month. Luckily it passes and I have a blast playing one that I haven't picked up in a while. I figure that as long as my bills are getting payed I deserve them.
    Dan

8. Semitone

Semitone Member

Clearly something cathartic about trimming down the gear. More time to focus on playing and technique...less on tweaking, cleaning, maintenance, fondling.... ( or so I hear...)

9. Drumnbum

Drumnbum Member

Indeed. I've had to walk away from that ledge a couple times myself. In the end, for me, it's about finding contentment with what you have. That's a struggle I have in many areas of my life.

10. EADGBE

EADGBE Member

No. If you play only one guitar everyday it will wear out much faster.

11. CheeseGrater

CheeseGrater Member

Sometimes i will narrow it down to 2 or 3, normally it's a "trim the fat" affair, where i have 3 really solid, quality guitars I will always keep but accrued 2-3 more impulse buy "not so great" guitars, so i'll sell those and normally add another quality guitar....which i'll sell or trade in a month :jo

12. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

I had a serious go at it. I ended up consolidating but still ended up having at least one guitar for each specialization that I am somewhat proficient at.

13. Serenity

Serenity Member

I'm in the process of downsizing and upgrading at the moment. The target is 1 Strat, 1 Les Paul, 1 amp (65Amps Empire), and 5 (maybe 6) pedals. Oh, and 1 acoustic.
    I don't want the distraction of loads of gear, i want to keep it simple and play.

14. Drumnbum

Drumnbum Member

I'm sure you're being facetious...but it does open a new question:

What's wrong with playing one guitar so much that it "wears out faster"? It's certainly not en vogue from a gear-pimping standpoint, but there's certainly something to be said for that kind of bond with an instrument.

15. K-Line

K-Line Gold Supporting Member

I say that every day. Hell, I will sell the one as well:)

16. rummy

rummy Member

17. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Gold Supporting Member

I've said it, sure. Then it quickly goes to three, then five. One guitar? Well, one of each anyway!

Then I realize I'm too lazy to sell any of them, and go have lunch.

But it could be a good thing for someone, why not? If you're serious, just put all but one away in a closet, and see how long you can go.

18. Baxter Stockman

Baxter Stockman Member

I think I'd do great with one guitar.

And a backup, just in case. And a short scale. And an acoustic. And probably another acoustic set up for slide. And a bass...

19. ldizzle

ldizzle Supporting Member

yep! I have a revolving door of guitars...but I hang on to my #1 lp. I've let go of some amazing instruments in the past just to get down to a few...then stock up...then let go... sigh... ;) =D

20. C-4

C-4 Member

Here for now, Europe when I die. Am I dead yet?
    That has been my fault when I had regular frets. However, slowly, all of the guitars I am keeping will have stainless steel frets, and I won't have to worry.

But you are right.