• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Ever have a fretboard crack lengthwise?

6inline

My buddy has a 2007 or so Taylor 12 string that needs attention. Sitting in his office he heard what he thought were 2 or 3 strings pop on this guitar which has been sitting on a stand in the room for quite some time. The guitar does not get played much.

Looking at it he saw no strings broken, but a crack in the fretboard running from the body end up about 4 inches toward the nut. Right about in the middle of the board.

He sent me a couple of phone pics and it's pretty clear the top has cracked too. Long crack running south from the bridge, and looking closer, I think the top is cracked just above the soundhole as well - joining up with the fretboard crack.

I'm up for attempting a repair, but wondering if there might be a larger issue I should be looking for since I have never seen a fretboard do this. I'll get the pics up in a bit. Thanks for any input/experience you may have.

Ronsonic

This is weird.

That location and direction of crack is not unusual for a fingerboard.

Not uncommon for a top to crack in that vicinity either.

Never saw the top and fingerboard crack together. Though those two cracks don't line up - parallax?

Here's the weird part. That's a bolt on neck. The end of the 'board is not glued to the top. He had one of those cracks first

bunny

Looks low humidity to me. Had a Dean electric with a dozen cracks (some quite big) along the fretboard, ebony too, also the neck binding coming appart all the way. Fixable.

rockabilly69

Silver Supporting Member
One of my Nationals developed a crack in the ebony and Don at National just drop filled with ebony dust and superglue. The repair was perfect I can't even find where
the crack was:)

6inline

Thanks for the input, guys. I should have the guitar in my possession today.

Am I right in thinking I should re-humidify the guitar as much as possible before starting any repair?

Trending Topics

Top Bottom