Ever have a guitar stolen?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by XKnight, Jan 31, 2015.

1. XKnight

XKnight Member

If so, please share your story. I'd be particularly interested in knowing if you ever got it back (happy ending).

2. scottlr

scottlr Member

Around age 17 a friend and I were going home from a gig. There was my guitar and his brother's bass in the back of his Vette. A guy hijacked us, wanted to drive, and he wrecked the car. Got us out on the side of an overpass and said he was gonna pop a cap in us right there. We just took off running. After awhile, we went back to the car, and both instruments were gone. I found the guitar in a pawn shop a week or so later. Got it back.

seward, PSLUAN and massacre like this.
  3. Noise Under The Floor

Noise Under The Floor Supporting Member

"In the drag of this atmosphere" (Maryland)
    Not sure if others would consider it a theft, but at the time I did, and still do somewhat. Small beans money wise compared to some, but it was the principle of it.

I had a "friend" borrow a guitar, for what was supposed to be for about a week for him to try out and see if he really liked it enough to buy it. He immediately became very elusive/evasive. About 2 weeks later I walked into a shop and saw it hanging there in their used section. He'd sold it to them literally a few day after "borrowing" it from me.

I gave him a few options: Get the guitar back and return it to me, pay up in full immediately, or face the police when I let the store know the guitar was essentially stolen property they'd taken in. He cussed me out, but paid up.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2015
  4. Ros

Ros Silver Supporting Member

Lent a guitar (first gen Squier Strat) to my newphew along with a practice amp to help get him started. They both disappeared from a party at his house. Bummer too, it was a nice one and he had used it a lot in his band. It was never recovered.

-R.

5. ggwwbb

ggwwbb Member

Thankfully I've never had one stolen

6. ef_in_fla

ef_in_fla Member

What part of that is NOT theft? And he cussed you out...classic.

7. ldizzle

ldizzle Supporting Member

Not yet... Thankfully! :-/

8. monwobobbo

monwobobbo Member

sadly i had a bunch of my gear stolen from my apt. when i was at work (right after being home sick for a week). i lost my amp, backup guitar and a Rat pedal. the only bit of good luck was that my main guitar was under the bed and didn't get taken as the thieves just did a quick grab. never recovered any of my gear. the folks respinsible did get nailed (after i hinted to the one guy i knew was involved that i might cut his life short a bit if he didn't talk). gear was sold before they got caught but they did have my CD player and a couple of other things.

massacre likes this.
  9. gevans378

gevans378 Silver Supporting Member

Came back from a weekend trip to find a couple of guitars stolen from my house. The one that hurt was a 59 National. I hassled with the insurer for months, but never was able to replace the guitar.

10. bob-i

bob-i Member

Twice...

The first time was from my dorm in college in 1971. My roommate left the door open while he went to take a shower. Someone walked out with my 61 LP custom. Insurance paid $120 which I thought was ok because I paid $150 a few year earlier.

[​IMG]

The second time was from an apartment in 1978. I came home from a gig, brought my stuff in and the next morning went to my day job. Someone broke in the 3rd floor window and took a 64 SG special, 68 LP Deluxe, Martin tenor and alto saxes, matching pair, and selmer flute, plus a camera and binoculars. Total insurance payout was $300 for over $2000 worth of gear. They tried to take my Twin Reverb with JBLs too but only got as far as the stairs.

[​IMG]

11. jonnytexas

jonnytexas Supporting Member

Like many crimes, I would imagine that a great deal of gear theft is by friends, family, and acquaintances.

12. karma1

karma1 Member

This was way back in the early 70's. I had come back from a gig or a jam in the wee hours of the morning and for some reason I couldn't get in the front door of the house, so I had to climb over a fence in the back and be careful not to step in dog poop in the back yard in the dark. So for that reason I decided to not to carry my guitar and left it in the back of my car (it was a hatchback and didn't have a trunk). It was a beautiful natural finish Strat from the mid 60's in a hardshell case. Since I had to get up and go to work just a few hours later, I figured it would be ok for that short time. Pretty stupid considering it was not one of the better neighborhoods in Philadelphia. Anyway, when I came out to go to work, there was a hole where the car door lock used to be and the guitar was gone. They even left the sharpened screwdriver that they used to punch out the lock. I'm still kicking myself for doing such a dumb thing. That guitar would be worth a fortune now.

massacre likes this.
  13. bob-i

bob-i Member

On a similar note, a band member came very close to having a flugelhorn stolen from the stqge while we were playing. The stage was along side a door into another room in the bar. I was standing next to his playing sax, he was playing trumpet and I caught a flash out of the corner of my eye. When I turned I saw the fluglehorn heading into the next room. I took a shortcut to the main exit, sax and all, and the bouncer grabbed the guy when I yelled STOP HIM.

The would be thief was arrested, charged and convicted. I have no idea what the penalty was.

FYI...this is a fluglehorn.

[​IMG]

14. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

My main guitar for many, many years including tons of gigs and years at Berklee was stolen DURING a gig. It was brought as a backup and setup from drop D (with a floyd rose, original). I never used it for the gig and when I went to load out it was gone.
    Sucks...

15. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

Known family member house sat in October. Guitar was in a case in a closet. Two months later I had a gig I use that vintage guitar for... opened the case and it wasnt in there. Pretty sneaky deal, "leave the case and pawn the guitar". Family member moved away to try to get away from his druggie friends right after he house sat.
    I got the guitar back about a year later... he paid off the pawn....

16. lowbrow

lowbrow Member

Burglarized. Lost seven guitars and a amp. Happened two months ago. Doubt I'll ever see any of it again. Included where two vintage Gretsch Corvettes and a vintage Gibson SG.

17. Polynitro

Polynitro Member

yes
    a crackhead took it from my car

18. Shiny_Beast

Shiny_Beast Member

yep, ripped off from a friends apt where we practiced. It was a POS strat copy but it played well, had a nice 80s PAF in it as well as the custom leather strap that was a hand made gift from a friend of the family.

never got it back

19. Tonelover

Tonelover Member

In high school my family's house was burgalrized and one of the items taken was my 1979 Strat. We had the insurance company ready to write us a check for it. This was mid '80s and I had a white Charvel like Jake E. Lee's picked out and set aside at a local store pending receipt of that insurance check. Right before we were about to get paid the police recovered the Strat. I was kind of bummed actually.

massacre likes this.
  20. Bob Rosencrans

Bob Rosencrans Member

Les Paul Recording, never seen again.