Ever have a piece of gear fall in your lap....

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by FloridaSam, Jan 2, 2008.

1. FloridaSam

FloridaSam Member

Did you ever have a piece of gear just fall in your lap that turned out to be a major surprise?

I picked up a box of "junk" off of craigslist las weekend. Included in it was a Kor Pandora PX4. Now, its not true bypass, PTP, handwired, made in a garage by trained elves etc... and was no where on my "want list".

I've never been a "POD" or modeler kinda guy. I listen to my music on a 1959 Fisher stereo.

This Pandora is a ton of fun! I love the synth pathces, the rhytm sections are really useful. The effects are much better than I remeber my PX2 being. I've always wanted to play with a pitch adjusted phrase sample... its in there.

I would have never bought one of these, but I'm sure glad I got one.

What gear fell in your lap that really surpised you or changed your mind about it?

2. Passenger84

Passenger84 Supporting Member

I walked into Guitar Center one time and saw the junkiest looking strat ever, with an Ibanez logo. Turned out to be an '81. Just messing around, I plugged it into a Blues Junior and was blown away. Then I grabbed some custom shop strats to see if I was just hearing things, but no, the Ibanez sounded fantastic. It had scratchy pots and switches, so I talked the guy down to below $150, went home, stuck some 500k pots and a new switch in there, and wow, it sounds quite nice (IMHO). :)

I also bought a home made fuzz face clone built in an electrical box off of e-bay one time for the tremolo section in it, and it ended up being the best fuzz I've played through.

3. Guitar Josh

Guitar Josh Resident Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

I did, and I stupidly sold it. I bought a 70s Goya LP Deluxe copy with mini-buckers. Played like crap but sounded like a dream. Set neck, real MOP inlays, nice heavy wood, binding, etc.

Gave it to my setup guy who worked on it for weeks before coming to the conclusion that the guitar could not be properly set up without high action or major surgery. Since I had only paid $125 for it, I consigned it for the same and made my money back. I still think about that guitar sometimes, it had such a nasty, ripping tone, I loved it but it was a battle to play it. I like to see what it could have done if I had been willing to drop the money to have it fixed properly.

4. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

This is such a nostalgic thread... In the old days, pre-Ebay, when not every piece of junk was a one-off collector's item, you could find incredibly wierd and wonderful stuff on the internet: Harmony Central, Daddy's Junky Music, the Craig's list newspapers before there was Craig's list.... I got the chance to try inumerable cool guitars (old BCRs, Alembic, Turner) that I never could afford now and when they weren't my cup of tea could sell and not lose money so I could go on to the next thing. Pawn shops used to have cool old stuff too, but now it all goes on Ebay, most doesn't even see the sales floor. Those were the days...

5. supergenius365

supergenius365 Silver Supporting Member

I almost tripped over my Boogie MKIIC+ at the local shop. It was beat all to hell and the shop owner said he had just lowered the price b/c there was no interest.

Nicest amp I have ever owned. Sold everything else.

6. teleblaster

teleblaster Member

Yes, a 59 gibson GA-20 ranger brown leather two tone tweed . Traded a guitar for it. best amp ive ever played and still have it. Oh one more thing its mint! It has a redwood cab. I took the P12R out of it for fear of blowing it up and put a weber P12Q in it . I play the amp or sometimes the amp plays me!:rotflmao

7. stratovarius

stratovarius Supporting Member

I did a search for "Hermida" on eBay and a Grinder popped up with a $100 BIN. The pedal had already been discontinued, there was no hype about it, but I figured I couldn't get hurt too bad for $100.

I've tried a lot of high gain distortion pedals since then, but they only last about 15 seconds up against the Grinder. Why this pedal was discontinued and never seems to have gotten noticed is a complete mystery to me.

8. hawaii5_o

hawaii5_o Member

I bought a used Groove Tubes Soul-O 75 combo in perfect condition from Guitar Center for $250 because they thought it was 'broken'. One fuse later and I'm rockin my custom-made, boutique amp with money in my pocket!

9. improv4

improv4 Member

I got my Bassman RI for $500 from a friend of a friend who barely touched the amp. I looked for an amp for maybe a couple weeks then suddenly the Bassman appeared.

10. Ray Gianelli

Ray Gianelli Member

A buddy of mine went to a yard sale in the early 90's, bought a blackface Princeton Reverb in pieces with no speaker for $2. He gave it to me, the only problem was the diode in the bias power supply was bad. Sold it for $500.

11. danipman

danipman Member

I found a Fender Deluxe Reverb, 1970 in the trash on a Manhattan street this year. Plugged it in and after a few warmup buzzes, it sounds smooth and silky.

12. pedalhead

pedalhead Member

i was given a Marshall VT1 - fantastic trem/vibe pedal and a boss PW2 by a friend of mine who owns a shop. He said he couldn't sell them! The VT is now a mainstay on my board whilst the PW2 is slowly gathering value in it's box!