Ever have parents inflame your GAS???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by slayerbear17, Jul 12, 2019 at 3:30 AM.

1. slayerbear17

slayerbear17 Member

I visited my dad tonight only to go home wanting new speaker choices. Some of my gear stays at his place, and he comes out to video our gigs once in awhile.

He already inflamed my GAS when it comes to pedals, now I,m going home thinking the kids can live off 2 minute noodles for a week lol while I think some new speakers wouldn't go astray.

My wife supports my GAS, but somehow influenced by my dad wont fly.
    TBC.

2. DonP

DonP Member

Yes, in an "anti-parent" sort of way?

3. NorCal_Val

NorCal_Val Member

Uh, no.
    Well, ok, sorta. When they bought me my first guitar, 39 years ago.
    (Even though it was a plywood Hondo)
    Does that count?

mcuguitar likes this.
  4. C-4

C-4 Member

I love Red Bank, NJ! Florida now Europe later
    When I started playing in the 1950's, my father had played with the professional swing bands to put himself through med school. My mother had been a classical pianist.

My father told me that Gibson (at that time, of course) made the best guitars, and he bought me one. When it came time for me to get a new guitar, he originally tried to order me a D'Angelico from John D'Angelico in NYC, who was still building them himself. Mr. D'Angelico passed away just before starting my guitar, so he ordered me a custom made Gibson Super 400. As time progressed, my parents both supported my guitar playing and gear, and were responsible for me getting onto the custom high end guitar wagon, and amp wagon.

I have lived my life playing high end custom made Gibson, Master Built Fenders, and guitars from other high end companies, like Vigier, XOX, Suhr, Schecter of California (when they first started), and others.

Of course, I also had a few production model guitars, but the mainstay of my gear was always the high end stuff.

I continue that proud tradition right up to this day, and have come to see and enjoy the differences between production guitars and custom shop gear.

5. big mike

big mike Plexi Loving Admin Staff Member

My mom was my biggest enabler on gear for years. LOL
    Would find reasons for house projects to help me pay for guitars.

6. gretschplayer

gretschplayer Member

7. aaronblues

aaronblues Supporting Member

My parents are both professional musicians (I'm definitely amateur level, no matter how many gigs I ever get to play.)
    They certainly got me started with beginner guitar gear when I was early teen's.
    But subconsciously, I must have taken note from my earliest childhood that my dad would play a trumpet passage on a Bach horn, put it down, then play the same passage on a Schilke, then ask me if I could tell any difference. I always could tell a difference; in projection, resonance, attack, volume, sweetness of tone. And then there would be anecdotes about C trumpets vs B flat horns, or flugelhorn or piccolo horns. Certainly helped fuel my perception of different instruments speaking differently, which I now apply to Telecasters :D
    As long as I have less guitar cases then my dad has horn cases, then I'm under control. :aok

8. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Member

Was going to make my own GAS post this morning but this will suffice. My Dad made me GAS for a hollow body Gretsch but when I got it, it just wasn't me at all so sent it back. I did just drop a thousand bucks last night just because I wanted to buy something even though I didn't need a single thing. It's a sickness for sure.

9. Blues Wail

Blues Wail Member

1966. dad bought me a Knox Guitar and Amp. I want them back!! Lol

10. Jaji

Jaji Member

When I was searching for a new amp, my father went on and on about Mesa. He played in the 60s as a musician, paying his way through college and med school. Later in life, he bought 2 Mesas, a Mark IIA (I think) and a Road King 1. He would babble for hours about how he thought Mesa were the best amps in the world. So....yeah, GAS crept in, and I started looking as Mesa. I bought an Electra Dyne and totally fell in love. Later, he gave me the Road King (wish it was the Mark instead, but, hey, it was free). Now I have 4 Mesas. Thanks, Dad. No, really, thanks.

11. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

My dad used to love to buy instruments of all kinds. He used to take me to music stores when I was young and that's why I have GAS to this day.

12. gearscrubs

gearscrubs Supporting Member

This sounds like my practice routine, and probably the name of my next album...

EmandoDave and slayerbear17 like this.
  13. ChrisN

ChrisN Supporting Member

Mine died, I got some cash -> GAS inflamed.

14. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

My Dad supports my GAS and encourages me as he played and got me into guitar. He's the one go encourage me to look for a ES-335 within the last year. SO glad he did.

15. Timbre Wolf

Timbre Wolf GoldMember Supporter Gold Supporting Member

I have no such stories to share, and I’m officially jealous of y’all.

16. BluntForceTrauma

BluntForceTrauma Member

Unfortunately all my parents ever told me is what I couldn't do. Never encouraged me in anything I tried to do. Never came to hear me play etc.....