• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Ever heard of Layne, or Lane Poor pu's?

Amadhunter

I have a pal that has a couple of old Lane Poor precision bass pu's. I'm trying to figure out the best wiring for them. Going to put them each in a different P-bass.
Not sure about any of the spec.s, just wondering if they are "known", and would appreciate any ideas ya'll could share with us. :)

testing1two

Platinum Supporting Member
Lane Poor was a small boutique pickup maker that went out of business a few years ago. They are highly regarded and were put in some very high end basses including Kenneth Lawrence and A Basses.

They are passive pickups so wire them as you would any other P-Bass...you need only a volume and tone control and they'll sound great.

Amadhunter

Thanks, I apprecate the info. I found a little info. on the net. Went out of business in 2002, he also made an onboard pre amp, the pu's are low output. We installed it in a ZON bass last night, instead of the P bass, sans pre amp.
Is there a good site for bass wiring diagrams?

GremlinAndy

I dunno if you're aware but Lane Poor PU's go for *ridiculous* money on evilbay.

I mean SILLY! I never heard one myself, but I'd be interested if you ever decide to shift them on (of course)

RickC

Lane Poors are very good pickups that have acquired mythic status due to their unavailability - kinda the way Joe Bardens for guitar were at one time.

Lane also made basses - a bizarre headless contraption called the Minima. I remember when these first showed up in shops and thinking wtf??? I saw the late, great Allen Woody using one onstage with the Allmans in the 90's

/rick

The Eristic

I've played a few basses loaded with Poors. Very unique and "clean" sounding (especially in the mids), somewhat hard to describe. I can understand why, if that sound does it for you, you'd shell out the cash, because nothing else really has quite the same sonic profile.

DanGouge

I dunno if you're aware but Lane Poor PU's go for *ridiculous* money on evilbay.
Yeah, $4-500 range. Mike Watt had them, I think Flea had them on something at one point. I think Lane had some pretty serious personal problems at the time he went out of business. Kind of sad really.

GremlinAndy

I've played a few basses loaded with Poors. Very unique and "clean" sounding (especially in the mids), somewhat hard to describe. I can understand why, if that sound does it for you, you'd shell out the cash, because nothing else really has quite the same sonic profile.

Well now I just gotta hear them... You described my fave tone exactly. Clean sounding (esp in the mids)

Trending Topics