Ever heard of NTE electrolytics?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by pfrischmann, Feb 21, 2006.

1. pfrischmann

pfrischmann Member

Hi Guys,
    I puller apart the '67 super I just got. The guy I bought it from had his amp tech run throught it before he sent it on. He changed out all the electrolytics but did not change the two prong power chord (weird) or put the reverb pan in a bag He used NTE branded electrolytics. These are not what I'm used to seeing. They look like ICR's or something.

I will say that the guy is a damn good solderer. The connections are all super clean and he to some real care to straighten out the leads. Very unobtrusive job.

So, these caps keep 'em or chuck 'em for something better?

Thanks,
    Paul

2. Reeek

Reeek Member

They're well known caps and work fine IMO. But if you do not know how old they are (can't be too old) and they're filter caps, then you may want to just replace them anyway and install the nice blue ones ;). That way you know how old they are plus I always feel better when my filter caps are blue.

The way I see it, if the filter cap age is unknown, considering how cheap and easy they are to replace, I usually just do it.

3. donnyjaguar

donnyjaguar Member

My slant on NTE (9-10-11 :) is they make low-cost replacement parts of many descriptions. Are they the best? Probably not. Are they adequate? Probably. Would I replace them? Not if they are working.

Some high-voltage electrolytics aren't intended for the type of service that a tube amp calls for. These are usually the photoflash style of caps.

4. pfrischmann

pfrischmann Member

LOL, I like blue too. I guess I just don't understand why you'd use anything but the better/best stuff. It's really not much more money. We aren't talking hovlands or anything.

Any preference for the electrolytics inside the chassis?

5. VintageJon

VintageJon Member

NTE is long known as producing "out of production semi-conductor and TV part replacements." I won't use them if anything else is available as I find the semi-conductors to be noisey and less reliable. In "critical" appications if NTE is all that's available I just turn the job down. (Better to miss the little bit of money than to risk my rep...)

Caps? Never considered them as it's all Sprague Atom, Xicon,Ruby, or Ce-Mallory here. These are caps I can count on! (Never a failure past In-Coming QC, and then only 1 IQC failure over the years...)

I suspect, from description, that this was done by a "Pro" but not a "Guitar Amp Pro". (We all have sources for REAL caps...)

-Jon